Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you dye jeans???

• 28-06-2010 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭

Have an old pair of black levis that are still in great nick but are a bit faded from the original dark black colour. Anyway I was going to buy a pair of black levis but somebody told me it might be possible to dye them back to near enough good as new. Are they fibbing???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Dylon. Best stuff ever. Its quick simple and cheap, and it will dye your jeans back to a deep black. You can get it in Hickeys, either the machine dye or hand dye. I'd recommend not using the washing machine, or if you do, wash a load of black stuff in it afterwards, as there will always be some residue left over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

I also recommend the hand dye Dylon, not the machine one. You need the dye, salt, a bucket and a wooden spoon to stir the dye from time to time. You can throw in a few of your old black things after you take your jeans out to top up the colour.

I also dye cheap white penney's runners nice colours with Dylon. The stiching is synthetic so it stays white. Dylon only dyes natural materials like cotton. You can get some lovely shades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 hill1

I use Dylon machine dye all the time, to dye a pr of black jeans all you need is the dye pack which you put into the machine with the jeans and run the wash cycle, after you finish dying, run the machine empty on a very hot wash, this will clean out the machine and you are good to go. It works really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Thanks to all for the replies. Have bought the machine wash dylon and will procede once I have a free hour. Just one question. Is the Levis badge and red tab on the back also going to go jet black or does the dye just gravitate towards the jeans material?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 hill1

any part that is cotton will dye, if the badge is leather then it will go a bit darker not sure about the red tag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Cool

Thanks for all the help:)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭topazblue

I have a pair of faded blue jeans. As new they had a subtle faded look. If i use Dylon on them will the entire surface area of the jeans be the same blue colour or will it apply die evenly to each part of the surface area (ie. retain the uneven colouring or faded look)

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Now that some time has passed since people above have used dylon for the first time would they recommend it and have they found any do's or don'ts.......

I've about 5 pairs of old blue 501's that are very faded and was gonna have a go at this. Not sure whether hand wash or machine wash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭aristocat

Now that some time has passed since people above have used dylon for the first time would they recommend it and have they found any do's or don'ts.......

I've about 5 pairs of old blue 501's that are very faded and was gonna have a go at this. Not sure whether hand wash or machine wash.

Great Post! I am waiting for the answers to that also. Have a few pairs of jeans that could do with a perk up.

Advertisement