Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

minimum cc to do the test

• 29-06-2010 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭

whats the smallest cc bike i can do the A test on?

also can i do the full test on a bike with a 125 with a bigbore kit thats declared?

reason im asking is because i can get a stock 150 top end for my bike which effectively converts it to a stock 150 version of the bike (also could i change this on logbook for doing the test) and it would be ideal if i could do my test with it, also possible for me to go upto 177cc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Iirc it has to be a 250

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

nope, you can do it on a 200cc vespa, i know tha much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Can ya?, I always assumed it was a 250.
    Maybe then it goes on that power to weight ratio which is very confusing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

This is what it said on th email I got for my test:
    Representative Vehicle : Motorcycle (without a sidecar) with an engine capacity greater than 125cc., and capable of a speed of at least 100km/h.

So you should be covered.

I could have sworn I saw on one of the sites that it had to be "above 125cc" but also "no less than 175cc" (which seems ridiculous), but I can't find anything about 175cc on the RSA site or Citizens Information, so maybe I imagined it.

If in doubt - give the RSA a call or an email, to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

bit of a black hole for guys riding legitimate 150's then isnt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Black holes and grey areas are par for the course when it comes to licensing rules here it seems.

This is what I was thinking of, from http://www.msa-ireland.com/licenses.htm
    The ‘A1’ Learner Permit is available from 16 years of age, but will restrict the holder to motorcycles of 50cc to 125cc and a 11Kw/14.5bhp limit. Even if you pass the ‘125’ Driving Test, when you up-grade to a bike over 125cc you will need an ‘A’ licence provisional, a second ‘test’ on a bike over 150cc, and endure all restrictions.

Looks like I imagined the 175cc thing - Maybe the 150cc requirement is only for taking the test the second time round for an A license if you're already gotten an A1. Or maybe it was just made up by the MSA, because I don't see anything about it on the RSA site.

I'd say you'll be fine with a bored to 150cc bike, but check it out in advance, having a printout of an email okaying it from the RSA in case you get a dickish tester on the day couldn't hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

I passed the test on a vespa PX200 no bother. But your right it's all a bit unclear for beginners...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 duboce

When you get nofication of your A test, the information letter from the RSA says your motorcycle must be over 125cc and capable of at least 100km/h.

Most 150cc (or over) bikes would be fine for an A test

As regards using a big-bore kit, this could be messy, usually the engine CC is moulded on the side of the barrel, if that was obvious and you had all the neccessary paperwork done in advance you may get by.

The information from http://www.msa-ireland.com/licenses.htm in not the official website.

Try www.rsa.ie for more informaition or ring them if you need more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

126cc+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Minimum 150cc with gears for full A licence.;)

Roadskill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Rojo25

Was on to them today, has be 250cc or over, if you dont have a 250, you have rent one :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Roadskill wrote: »
    Minimum 150cc with gears for full A licence.;)

Roadskill

It used to be 150cc now its > 125cc

Letter from the RSA its around 2 years old.

th_testletter.jpg

Advertisement