Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

soccer for next season

• 29-06-2010 12:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,613 ✭✭✭✭

hey folks

im hoping to ditch ESPN, Setanta and sky sports for next season

I do love my soccer from around europe so I would like bundesliga, EPL, Serie A and Dutch Eredivisie (would also love wwe if possible but not high on my list)

Would like the games be broadcasted in English
    Having HD would be superb but far from essential, price is my main concern

so any advice on foreign satellite providers and equipment

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Headshot wrote: »
    hey folks

im hoping to ditch ESPN, Setanta and sky sports for next season

I do love my soccer from around europe so I would like bundesliga, EPL, Serie A and Dutch Eredivisie (would also love wwe if possible but not high on my list)

Would like the games be broadcasted in English
    Having HD would be superb but far from essential, price is my main concern

so any advice on foreign satellite providers and equipment

Cyfra+ subscription and an Al jazeera subscription. Cyfra will be HD (EPL) but in Polish. Al Jazeera will mostly be in English. Have a search around this forum for details as its been talked about many times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I'd recommend Al Jazeera too, you get so much for your money and most of it is in English too. My main card is a Sky Deutschland one since Bundesliga is my main league. I also get EPL on Saturday and Sunday aswell as WWE.
    If EPL is what your main league I'd probably go with Cyfra HD, it doesn't break the bank and you get a good bit of sport on it. Eurosport 2HD is also on Cyfra+ too which carries live Bundesliga with the Friday match, 2 games on Saturday and 2 on Sunday with the Monday match from the 2nd Division also being shown, add in the preview and highlight shows they also have and its probably the best channel for Bundesliga outside Germany.

There's lots of packages/dishes/receivers to consider when setting up a system to get channels from around Europe, it made my head hurt at times last year when I was deciding what to get for me but it was worth it!.
    Let us know how much you are looking to invest in this and I'm sure the lads here can recommend what dish/receiver to go with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,613 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

is there any sub that will also give me the PL on the weekdays too ?

and any link to what Cyfra+ and Al Jazeera will provide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

cheers mate but i dont see what exactly will they have for next like what leagues etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Has been discussed here -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054876132&highlight=cyfra&page=15

The guys on here that have the card might tell you exactly as i have not had one as yet.

Last year i had Cyfra+ Multi channel. About 160€ for Canal+, Canal+Film, Canal+Film HD, Canal+Sport, Canal+sport2, Canal+sport3 (Part time channel) and Canal+Sport HD

This got me EPL in HD (Saturday, sunday, monday and midweek games)

Spanish League also in HD

Al Jazeera sports (I paid 75€ last year, its gone up now), which gave me 8 sports channels, including SPL, Championship, FA cup, Carling cup, Internationals, All Champs league, Uefa cup, boxing, Spanish, French, Italian leagues. Most of the commentarys and studio coverage was in English

You'll need a cheap receiver (Again buy from satsklep) Most of their receivers will work with a Cyfra+ card and Al Jazeera card (seca and viaccess/Irdeto encyptions) and an 80 cm fixed dish on hotbird

Al Jazeera HD is currently on Hotbird, but this may well just be temporary for the world cup

thanks for the help so far folks

it seems Cyfra+ is the way to go even thou its not in English (is that the same for movie channels??)

can someone give me a link to a hd reciver which will Cyfra & Al Jazeera sports

I dont have a clue of what to look for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

thanks for the help so far folks

it seems Cyfra+ is the way to go even thou its not in English (is that the same for movie channels??)

can someone give me a link to a hd reciver which will Cyfra & Al Jazeera sports

I dont have a clue of what to look for

The Movies (English speaking movies!) are in English. So too are some of the US programs on Canal+ (24 etc.). I have a Dreambox 800 with a softcam which can read the Cyfra+ card fine. I don't have an Al Jazeera card but I am pretty certain the same CAM can read that too. There are many different receivers out there, it's really up to you what you want to go for, what sort of budget are you looking at?.

Most receivers after a firmware update will become multicrypt readers. I had a Fergurson in the bedroom last year and with 3rd party firmware it was able to read my Al Jazeera, Cyfra and white UK FTV card.

The Opticum receivers are damn good value for their money. There is a 9600 TS combi HD out which will do Irish DTT and pay satellite.

I would also recommend the Edison 2 in 1 combi, will do the Irish DTT, Satellite and it has 2 multi crypt card readers and 2 cam slots! Also an ethernet connection for other uses!

http://satsklep.pl/index.php?s=produkt&id_prod=1250&id_kat=80&id_typu=0

http://satsklep.pl/index.php?s=produkt&id_prod=1627&id_kat=278&id_typu=0
    Or
    http://www.saortv.com/shop/Digital-TV-Receivers/Combo/Edision-Argus-mini-2-in-1-IP-Combo-HD-Satellite/DTT-Receiver/prod_72.html

these will do the job nicely!

Like i said Ive the Edision now added to my collection and its a great piece of kit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ooter

snaps wrote: »
    Most receivers after a firmware update will become multicrypt readers. I had a Fergurson in the bedroom last year and with 3rd party firmware it was able to read my Al Jazeera, Cyfra and white UK FTV card.

The Opticum receivers are damn good value for their money. There is a 9600 TS combi HD out which will do Irish DTT and pay satellite.

I would also recommend the Edison 2 in 1 combi, will do the Irish DTT, Satellite and it has 2 multi crypt card readers and 2 cam slots! Also an ethernet connection for other uses!

http://satsklep.pl/index.php?s=produkt&id_prod=1250&id_kat=80&id_typu=0

http://satsklep.pl/index.php?s=produkt&id_prod=1627&id_kat=278&id_typu=0
    Or
    http://www.saortv.com/shop/Digital-TV-Receivers/Combo/Edision-Argus-mini-2-in-1-IP-Combo-HD-Satellite/DTT-Receiver/prod_72.html

these will do the job nicely!

Like i said Ive the Edision now added to my collection and its a great piece of kit!

that's some great info snaps.
    i'd love to get a setup like this sorted for the start of next season,does anyone on here know of anyone that would install an 80 cm dish for me in the dublin area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

ooter wrote: »
    that's some great info snaps.
    i'd love to get a setup like this sorted for the start of next season,does anyone on here know of anyone that would install an 80 cm dish for me in the dublin area?

I recommend Tony at satellite.ie

Pal wrote: »
    I recommend Tony at satellite.ie

thanks pal..

I'd also recommend satellite.ie, you may also find they sell Fergusson recievers, either standard single HD DVB-S tuner ones or combi dual tuner HD with DVB-T and DVB-S. These will also read Cyfra+ cards.

The Fergusson's are very well supported with 3rd party S/W, and i notice his single tuner receiver has a LAN/Network port, which may well come in handy for the future!

If you also have a few quid to spend, i would highly reccomend a motor as well. You'll be surprised how much football is actually FTA on other satellites (Champs leauge, Uefa cup, Carling cup, FA cup & also SPL), thats not mentioning Heinekin cup also! If events are not on a dedicated channel then feeds are sometimes available!

I was dubious 6 or so years ago about getting a motorised dish, Its one thing ive never regreted.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭settopbox

Any news on the Scandinavian coverage.

Will it be restricted to the tight Scandinavian beam on 5 east or will some be available on the Europe beams on 5 east and or 1 west.

I know canal plus have lost the rights and tv2 have won the rights but im not sure if these channels are on 1 west or 5 east.

im getting sky italia

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

im getting sky italia
    Dare I ask what site you're getting it from?

It does seem to be by far the best, though does have a steep pricetag! (maybe after initial year, card renewals might be cheaper?)

settopbox wrote: »
    Any news on the Scandinavian coverage.

Will it be restricted to the tight Scandinavian beam on 5 east or will some be available on the Europe beams on 5 east and or 1 west.

I know canal plus have lost the rights and tv2 have won the rights but im not sure if these channels are on 1 west or 5 east.

Norway is TV2 sports 1 west and 5 east(about 30€ a month and all prem games on 6 channels), now the problem is the beams, 5 east is a no no and 1 west half the channels are on the euro beam and the other half nordic beam, which can be picked up on a 1.2m dish here. (Im getting about 4 channels ok in all weather and 2 channels hit and miss in decent weather, also the TV2 HD channel is on the hit and miss beam also,OK in clear skys but even cloud knock it out)

Sweden is Viasat on 5 east only, nordic beam, no chance of signal here

Finland, Canal+ on the euro beam, but subs very hard to get hold of

Denmark, TV2, dont know much about this package but its not as good as TV2 Norways coverage.

Note that TV2 Norway and Denmark are different packages.

The weather here is very cloudy atm but I'm picking up TV2 Sport 1-5 and the HD channel okay(1W). I don't have the package but the lowest signal I have is 54%.

(north west)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭SteM

byte wrote: »
    Dare I ask what site you're getting it from?

It does seem to be by far the best, though does have a steep pricetag! (maybe after initial year, card renewals might be cheaper?)

I'd be interested too - Sky Sports packages are going up again this year so I'm looking for something different.

• Advertisement

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    The weather here is very cloudy atm but I'm picking up TV2 Sport 1-5 and the HD channel okay(1W). I don't have the package but the lowest signal I have is 54%.

(north west)

54% seems very low, usually anything under 63% on my tm wont come in, but it'll scan in no problems. the weaker tv2 sports come in at 65-67% for me! the stronger ones 76-79%

lads,i'm a liverpool fan for me sins..:(
    if i was to get the cyfra set up for next season how many domestic liverpool games would i be likely to receive,midweek/weekend?
    european games should be on tv3/3e...

ooter wrote: »
    lads,i'm a liverpool fan for me sins..:(
    if i was to get the cyfra set up for next season how many domestic liverpool games would i be likely to receive,midweek/weekend?
    european games should be on tv3/3e...

theres no telling! sometimes they can show 2 games at the same time!

dont forget ch 5 uk for uefa cup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

im getting sky italia

How much does that work out as?

And how do you order?

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I purchased a Tring card yesterday just waiting for it to arrive. Surely this is the card to get this year?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

TCP/IP wrote: »
    I purchased a Tring card yesterday just waiting for it to arrive. Surely this is the card to get this year?
    If it works as promised... it should be a good card.

How's your 16E signal for Tring transponders?

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Have a 1.2 metre dish coming in grand.

I renewed my Sky Deutschland card yesterday. My Al Jazeera card runs out next week so I'll probably wait it out to see how Tring goes before buying a second card.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Good afternoon gentlemen.

I was going to start a new thread, but thought i'd just jump in here.

I have a spare 80cm dish and a TM 5300 D+ that i thought i would make use of, but i'm not entirely sure what's available to me.

I'd like something with either sports - european football leagues, US sports and boxing based in the US. The HBO and Showtime boxing events.

Or,

Movies, US tv shows, comedies, documentaries and possibly adult themed movies.

The Cyfra card looks ideal although i'm not particularly keen on Polish commentary for the football. The Al Jazeera looks ideal too. Are all their football commentaries available in English or just the EPL, much the same way Premiere (now Sky) used to do in Germany?

I'm looking to spend up to 150, 200 at a push on a card.

Can you buy the Al Jazeera card with no middle man like you can the Cyfra? If so can somebody please link.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭settopbox

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    I renewed my Sky Deutschland card yesterday. My Al Jazeera card runs out next week so I'll probably wait it out to see how Tring goes before buying a second card.

Can I ask how much you paid for you Sky Germany card and does that include HD

Advertisement