Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Social Care Distance Learning Course NUI Galway

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭rustopher

Sorry i mean the next 2 years....as in, i am going to finish the degree. Just have 2 years done so far but i think it would benefit me. Just going through a phase where i have had enough of college but i need to finish it out ....:cool: That was in reply to you suggesting that i may want to do a masters after the degree!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭owla

what do you mean this course is getting further and further away? I am also doing this course, i have missed a few workshops along the way and its ok you will manage but it definitely makes the work easier if you attend, you feel a bit lost at sea after missing workshops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

rustopher wrote: »
    Sorry i mean the next 2 years....as in, i am going to finish the degree. Just have 2 years done so far but i think it would benefit me. Just going through a phase where i have had enough of college but i need to finish it out ....:cool: That was in reply to you suggesting that i may want to do a masters after the degree!

Aah my bad, I misinterpreted!

;)

Hi Owla,

What i mean is that when i started the course was in carlow, then portarlington and now Galway... Galway is a good run for me, i couldnt drive there and back in the same day meaning its going to cost me....so annoying!!!Hate the thoughts of it:eek: Bad weather could prevent me making every class as well.

yea i know what you mean, i am overnighting in Galway aswell as its too far for me to go and come back in one day.... the workshops are only once a month for the third year so its manageable... just about

owla wrote: »
    yea i know what you mean, i am overnighting in Galway aswell as its too far for me to go and come back in one day.... the workshops are only once a month for the third year so its manageable... just about

once a month? really??? that cuts it in half then, i presumed it would be every 2 weeks like last yr!! (first year was once a month). So are u going into the final year then? I am waiting for more info from the college about the class dates, All i know is we start sept 15. I have to find out how often, i hope your right!:)

p.s Is third year difficult? any module in particular u found more difficult than others??

Hi Rustopher
    the workshops are every 3 - 4 weeks. 2nd year was the same though so i dont know if they changed the workshop times for your year?
    Yes I am going into fourth year, like you I will miss some workshops as I have other things going on.
    I would be lying if i told you third year wasnt tough going, but it it maneagable, you will manage with the books they provide. There is very reasonable accomodation available around the college and hospital for overnighting.
    good luck with it
    owla

thanks owla, who do i talk to re the accomodation, is it the college? How much is it to stay over? I justed checked our timetable and it is 2 classes per month on average. :rolleyes:

that is interesting, we had workshops every 3 and sometimes 4 weeks, but perhaps you are finishing up earlier in the year? Everyone misses some workshops so dont worry
    you will have to get accomodation yourself as far as i know
    try<snip>, that is a fairly reasonable b and b but it is about 10 mins walk from the college in a place called Beechmount Park. I have stayed there. Google for some that are nearer the uni, there are loads on that road. Just see who gives the best price. Always call as that is going to be cheaper as opposed to booking online (I think)
    Owla

• Advertisement

well the last 2 years we finished up early (April) so yeah maybe thats it! Thanks for the contact number and info re accomodation. Cheers!!;)

just seen a job advert for social care job excluding nuig award.... can anyone update me on this ... I am worried and need reassurance.................

owla wrote: »
    just seen a job advert for social care job excluding nuig award.... can anyone update me on this ... I am worried and need reassurance.................

What do you mean by "excluding nuig award"? Is it specified that its not accepted? Can you post up the advert if its online?

You are nearly through your course Owla so don't be put off by adverts like that. Employers are foolish if they exclude people in that fashion, it makes no sense if they are trying to find the best candidate. Its never a black and white situation, even if they say they exclude the course, apply anyway, go and deliver your CV by hand, meet someone in person etc. There is a lot to be said for how you apply for jobs. Its important to show initiative, go the extra mile, make yourself stand out etc. I missed the deadline for a job last week, but I still applied, explaining that I was a good candidate, and they are considering me as an applicant now. Employers always want the best candidate for the job, so if you think you have what it takes, then make sure you highlight that to them, regardless of the NUIG thing. There are always exceptions to the rules and deadlines of jobs, so highlight that you are a worthwhile exception. :)

Go girl!

Hi Ronan
    You're right of course! They prob took this off an old list of recommended qualifications.
    Once informed they would probably be fine, I hear that there are moves in the registration board as well which is good news.
    Owla

• Registered Users Posts: 19 orlzy22

hey guys..thinking of doing this course nxt sept...is it only onc a month u need to attend lectures??? also does anybody know if it is recognised for sure???i am worknig so thats why this one would suit me...i dont see the point though if its not gonna get me a job

orlzy22 wrote: »
    hey guys..thinking of doing this course nxt sept...is it only onc a month u need to attend lectures??? also does anybody know if it is recognised for sure???i am worknig so thats why this one would suit me...i dont see the point though if its not gonna get me a job

It's not the qualification that will get you a job, it's a lot of things (experience, interview, cv, personality etc.), part of which is the qualification. The mindset that a qualification will land people jobs these days needs to be readdressed because it simply isn't the case now, particularly with so many people vying for positions. The qualification will complement what you have already, but it is certainly no guarantee of a job.

If you are working and still able to study, DIT offer an in-service course in Social Care Practice (to Honours level, or ordinary if you wish) which you might consider looking at too. That is usually one day a week, but your current work must be in the Social Care field to be eligible and entrance to the course is based on an interview also. Not sure about closing dates etc. though. Check it out as an option anyway...

Good luck in your studies! :)

Ro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 orlzy22

Ronan H wrote: »
    It's not the qualification that will get you a job, it's a lot of things (experience, interview, cv, personality etc.), part of which is the qualification. The mindset that a qualification will land people jobs these days needs to be readdressed because it simply isn't the case now, particularly with so many people vying for positions. The qualification will complement what you have already, but it is certainly no guarantee of a job.

If you are working and still able to study, DIT offer an in-service course in Social Care Practice (to Honours level, or ordinary if you wish) which you might consider looking at too. That is usually one day a week, but your current work must be in the Social Care field to be eligible and entrance to the course is based on an interview also. Not sure about closing dates etc. though. Check it out as an option anyway...

Good luck in your studies! :)

Ro

Thank you ill check that one out:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 smootchio

Hi

The contact time for the year i started was once every 3-4 weeks for year 1, then every second week after that. Depending on what area you are working in, I have found it focuses a lot on the elderly and disability sector for year 1&2 but expands in year 3. However if you are doing it because you need a degree for work, I would recommend it. The class days are fewer then other courses I looked up.

While it may seem a lot every 2 weeks you tend to finish in april. However I know that the course has changed this year for first year students so you would need to check it with the college.

As it happens we recently discussed the accreditation of course's in class. It was explained as follows (or at least in the way I gathered). Each University sets there own standard of accreditation, and can award level 8 courses as they see fit. Fetac or hetac are a body that set the standards for courses outside of universities. They monitor any institute that awards their accreditation to ensure a standard. While University's are a body to themselves, they set the standards and the monitor their own standards. So the course in galway is a level 8 standard if we were to apply for a course in one of the Dublin University's for a Masters it is the equivlant as if I done a BA Degree in engineering going on to carry out a masters in similar field.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭macannrb

Does anyone know if its possible to get accepted into the social work masters in NUIG with this course? I would assume so, but ive just looked at the administration page for the social work masters and its doesnt say that clearly. what it says is the following.

Entry requirements

A primary undergraduate degree (minimum of Second Class Honours, Grade 2) in one of the following: BA with a major in Social Work, Sociology, Psychology Social Policy, Public and Social Policy, Youth and Family Studies or B. Soc.Sc or qualifications deemed equivalent by NUI Galway. A minimum of six months experience in a social work or social care setting is compulsory.

http://www.nuigalway.ie/courses/taught-postgraduate-courses/social-work.html

if the course is accepted, is a 2.2 ok to get in? does anyone know of people moving from the Social care course to the Social work masters, and if so, what were the requirements?

thanks in advance

Yes, a friend of mine is doing the masters (been accepted) in social work, she got a degree in social care in nuig aswell. Hope that clarifies things.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭macannrb

Thanks, that helps a lot. Also, did your friend get a 2.1 or better or a 2.2? Cheers

• Advertisement

As far as I know she got a 2.1, but there is also a fairly tough interview which may also mean alot in terms of acceptance... you would have to check out if a 2.2 is ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Yes, I got a 2:2 and got into the MA also

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭nathughes

Hi guys

I know this thread has not been used in a while but I was wondering has anything else happened with the accreditation?? I was thinking of doing this course or the one in Carlow IT (the wicklow campus)... Does anyone have any comments on which would be better??

Nat

i couldnt tell you! It is a great course, you will learn loads, i have attached a job add i saw recently regarding qualifications required, i suppose the recognised qualification that involves a third level supervised practise element includes the NUIG qualification... but it is not under the social care list! Wish someone in NUIG could answer this one.

Qualifications
    A recognised qualification that involves a third level supervised
    practice element to the course.
    or
    A recognised professional qualification for Social Care,
    outlined as follows;
    Youth and Community Degree
    BA & Hdip
    NQSW/BSW/MSW
    Nursing Qualification (RGN/RNID/ENMH)
    i.e.
    HETAC/DIT/