Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best (preferably wireless) ISP for Bittorrent et al?

• 29-06-2010 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,
    Which is the best ISP for Bittorrent (i.e. don't block/taper torrent files/sites etc.):

At the moment I'm considering either Imagine Wimax 5mb or Digiweb Metro...Or possibly Breeze, though it's a bit expensive for me really, i'd really like to spend no more than €35 euro...I couldn't get UPC and I don't have a phone line (I reckon it's not worth getting one installed and line rental and all that; unless someone has a good complete package they recommend?) so I reckon some sort of wireless is the best bet...

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Oh yes... go for Imagine :) Or maybe 3 Ireland.

All wireless has strict caps.
    Even if people "claim" it's unlimited.
    Imagine's Wimax Unlimited data is 30Gbyte. (It's not really Broadband as it's a Mobile/Nomadic system. See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1147 )
    Digiweb's Metro cap depends on package, the best value package is 30G byte.

I've read people say that Clearwire and Imagine "throttle" Torrents. I don't know.

Unless you are using Torrents only for occasional ISO download, forget ANY Wireless.

You are better with a phone line if you want Torrents and can't get UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 unreasonably

Really are you sure Imagine cap@30GB? what happens, will they cut you off or just slow down your connection? That'd really suck, the unlimited thing was what attracted me...I could easily be in the 60–90GB a month range, particularly with streaming HQ videos and radio and stuff...what about Breeze then, are they lying about "unlimited" too?

Maybe I should go DSL...do you recommend anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Really are you sure Imagine cap@30GB? what happens, will they cut you off or just slow down your connection? That'd really suck, the unlimited thing was what attracted me...I could easily be in the 60–90GB a month range, particularly with streaming HQ videos and radio and stuff...what about Breeze then, are they lying about "unlimited" too?

Maybe I should go DSL...do you recommend anyone?

Eircom or Magnet probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

watty wrote: »

All wireless has strict caps.
    Even if people "claim" it's unlimited.

I've said it before i'll say it again, I had a breeze before and never ran into any issues with download limits, between me & my house mate we weould regularly managed to transfer in excess of 200Gb a fornight

Advertisement