Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC dynamic IP?

• 29-06-2010 2:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭

Does upc provide dynamic IP? If so, how do I change my IP?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Yes, it does. I've found that unplugging your modem for about a minute and plugging it back in works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭johanz

Improbable wrote: »
    Yes, it does. I've found that unplugging your modem for about a minute and plugging it back in works.
    Nothing bad won't happen right? Because I am sharing internet with some other people and this isn't my modem. I just don't want to break anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

No, nothing bad will happen. If they're using the internet at the moment, they'll be disconnected for a minute and that is it. The modem will automatically reconnect to the internet once you turn it back on. It can take a minute or two so don't panic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Also remember that there will only be a select range of IP's in the subnet. So its entirely plausible that even if you disconnect, and re-connect, you may be assigned the same IP again.

Any particular reason you wish to change your IP? If its for tracing reasons (haven't been up to anything naughty have you?? :p ) changing your IP will not solve that.

You been IP banned by a game server?? lol

Also remember that there will only be a select range of IP's in the subnet. So its entirely plausible that even if you disconnect, and re-connect, you may be assigned the same IP again.

Any particular reason you wish to change your IP? If its for tracing reasons (haven't been up to anything naughty have you?? :p ) changing your IP will not solve that.

You been IP banned by a game server?? lol
    I am banned on another forum. They said I can register back if I want, but since I am IP banned I can't, and they can't remove the IP ban. So I need a new one to register again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

johanz wrote: »
    I am banned on another forum. They said I can register back if I want, but since I am IP banned I can't, and they can't remove the IP ban. So I need a new one to register again.

then just remember that you will occasionally have to reset the router as chances are you will get the banned IP address on different occasions thus you will be unable to log on

Best bet would be to see if you can get a static IP (different from the one that's banned) from your ISP.

If its a case you have tried to register a few times since the ban (which I take was not this morning - maybe a few days ago?) and it still won't let you, the probablility is they may have included the IP range in your subnet.

i.e your IP is 1.2.3.44 they have banned 1.2.3.xx

Try resetting the router, and make a note of your external IP. I assume you know which IP address is banned? (if just a single IP is banned form the site)

It's not the entire range for sure. Banning entire range because of one person is like communism.

It's not the entire range for sure. Banning entire range because of one person is like communism.

Some sites do though.

Some sites do though.
    I don't go to such sites. No one should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭markpb

Sites do it precisely because most people can get a new IP address by resetting their router. If they didn't block subnets, site bans would be useless - people could just post on a forum asking how to get around the IP ban.

On a related note, if the admins of the site in question are happy for you to re-register, why will they not remove the IP ban?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

UPC seem to lease the IP to you for weeks I can reset my modem 10 times and will always get back the same address. The only way around this I can think of is that UPC's DHCP server(IP server) should check at intervals to see if the IP is still in use so you may have to leave your router/modem off for a couple of hours. The DHCP server will see the IP is no longer used and let someone else pickup your old IP. When you switch the modem back on you will then be assigned a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Discussing methods of circumventing an ban on another forum has never, and will never, be allowed here.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ironic really, your on such a site right now :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement