Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL performance with different providers?

• 29-06-2010 2:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hey,

I was wondering, if I can get DSL, but I'm limited in packages because of distance from exchange (I looked on the eircom site and they said I'd be limited to 4MB, which, I'm assuming is due to the distance) .. can one provider offer a better connection speed over another?

I signed up with eircom, but its only connecting at 1024 :/ .. is this the best any of them will be able to do for me?

It's a new build, I was hoping for better than this :/

Thankie,

Bal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Generally not.

A few exchanges have original eircom ASDL, rather than ADSL2+, BUT ALSO have "LLU" from maybe Digiweb/Smart or Magnet. In those very few cases you might get more speed.

If it's only connecting at 1Mbps the line is either really long or poor and there is nothing you can do. All new estates and apartments over last 10 years should have had fibre. Almost none did.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What are your line stats?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Balmark

I was a little impatient ;)

Seems the 1mb connect was the initial setup connection speed, it jumped to 8mb after a couple of days.. :)

Line attunment is 40/24 I think, able to get 6mbit/s down according to the global speed test hitting Dublin (from cork) and getting pings of 10-13ms to google/heanet :) .. I'm happy enough now ;) was just v worried I was gonna be stuck with 1mb

Advertisement