Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else freaking out about going back to College??

Options
  • 29-06-2010 4:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭

Hey all

Just wondering how everyone whoes going back to College this coming Sept is feeling?

Personally im starting to freak out a little! Its starting to set in what im planning on doing. Shall be returning from Aus in 2 weeks to start back in Sept. But its begining to seem quite daunting. Few things worring me..

- Will have to move to Dundalk (from Dub orginally) kinda worried about having to live with a load of 1st years who are 18 and wanting to live a bit differenlty to myself!

- The course is 4 years :eek::eek::eek: this scares the c**p outta me, am 26 now. There was another course I applied to which may have given me advanced entry to year 2/3, but due to some miscommunication (having already accepted the 4 year course), I advised them I wouldnt be able to go to the interview, and hence not taking up the place, but the 4 year course is more what I want to do, the other one would be more so getting a degree for the sake of it, as I already have experience in the area!

- Money, money, money! Looks like i'll be dependant on my parents financially AGAIN! which bugs me, I may get a maintance grant but not BETA.. what parents really want to be supporting there child up untill there 31 :eek:, feels like I must be every parents worst nightmare! Even tho my parents say its fine, but they're getting on and should be able to enjoy there money and not have to support me!

One of the main reason I decided to go back to college, was that there appers to be little jobs going at home, and dont wanna be stuck doing something I hate. Also having never got a degree its something id like to correct.

Not sure what the point of this post is ... other than a little rant, but are the rest of ye maturies freaking a little?...or is just me!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

I done the same thing at 25. Im 29 now and am really glad I went back to college. Got a good job out of it. Loads of people go back as mature students and most of them are in their mid to late 20s. All my housemates were mature students last year.

Moving is always daunting but ya have to take risks in life. Four years sounds like a lot but believe me mate it goes by quickly.

Money problems is a bollix especially if you had been earning a reasonable wage. But there are loads of grants available that arent well advertised and weekend jobs like bar work are usually easy enough to get.

Going back to college was the best decision I made. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,511 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You are not too old to be going back to college, you will most likely do better at it than the younger ones.

Work out what it is costing your parents to keep you,(is this just daily living or are they coming up with fees etc too?), keep a proper record, and as soon as you are working repay them at a fixed amount each week/month. If you have the will-power, put it into an account, so that they get it as a lump sum a few years after you finish.

Regardless of the job situation here, a qualification is always an advantage and will help you get a job elsewhere if not in Ireland. In fact, there are very few jobs at the moment so you may as well be studying.

You don't have to live with a bunch of youngsters. Get in as first renter in a house and put the word around through the college that you have spaces in a study friendly/mature house, some of the takers may be 18, but that's ok so long as you have the atmosphere that you are looking for.

Good luck as a mature student, you will not be the only one!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭writetojd

Have to say I'm in the same situation. Only going back to college for my hon deg but still bricking it. Money is my main concern. In Oz at the moment and as b-man pointed out I'm not entitled to a grant because I havent been in the county from October last year.
    Kind of dreading the age gap too. I know theyre not exactly kids but the level of maturity will differ greatly.

Well I hope I get a place in one of the 4 colleges I applied for. Should hear next week if all goes well. Good look Doop

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Well I just finished first year and going back to college was the best thing I've done. End of!

I was freaking out going back to college. But for me I think it was more about would I be able to cope with all the college work. I'd be in a class with other students that got all A1s and A2s in the Leaving. :eek: But I worked my ass off and passed first year. Yay! You will be a better student being a mature student and you will come out with a better degree from it.

My advice though is to throw yourself into college life. I was 26 when I started and you are kinda in limbo because you're still young enough to party but know when enough is enough. Get to know people in your class, go to class nights out, join clubs and societies and try and be active in at least one. I dunno if I was lucky but I get on great with everyone in my class and found a club that I enjoy being active in. I know for some maturies it takes them a while to get over the fact that the majority of their classmates are just out of school but at the end of the day they chose the same course as you out of interest so you have, at least, that much in common. One of my best friends on the course is only 18! But I completely forget about that until she starts worrying that she forgot her ID! :D

Money is the big thing! I saved up for a year before I started college as I didn't want to rely on my parents but as that is all but gone, it is hard. I think it is the hardest thing about going back to college. Luckily my parents are really supportive and would throw money at me if I wanted it. I think Looksees idea of keeping a record is a great idea. I think I'll have to buy some type of accounts book myself the way the job hunt is going at the moment.

There are quite a few mature students in DKIT. I would get in contact with the mature student office and/or the accommodation office and see if any other mature students are looking to share a house.

There are people that can help you through the process. You just gotta ask! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I'm freaking out - signing up for a 3 year part time degree, which will cost 15k before books!!
    So considering the current job market, and the fact that I have no job security where I currently am...I'm starting to doubt if I should...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Russian Blue

I'm a bit nervous alright but i have always wanted to do a course like this and i cant wait at the same time.

Nervous about the whole thing. How il make friends, though i have been told that everyone is the same boat so that's a bit easier.

How il cope with projects and assignments to do? And exams?

Nervous about moving away also. I have been on some accommodation websites and there isn't alot of places available yet as a house share. Theres a couple of student houses alright but i don't want to end up with a bunch of 18 year olds.

I have a bit of savings and would like a part time job also and keep the savings to start me off and as a back up. That part i am really freaking about, how do i get work? And if i get work, how will i cope with the college work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭December

Im freaking out about the money too - just the fact that there is so much conflicting information out there regarding tuition fees, grants etc. Can't find anyone who can give me a straight answer, not even the grant office in my county.

I'll be relying on my hubby for the most part - but since we earn't over the limit last year combined I doubt I'll get any kind of assistance, even though I havent worked this year (...on job seekers, which STILL hasn't even come through yet -.- ). Luckily found a job for a few weeks leading up to Uni, so that'll help - but I very much doubt they do part time.

All a bit up in the air at the mo - I just want to get stuck in with the actual academic stuff and forget about fees, mortgages, and bloody money! :(

So yeah...freaking out a lil to answer your question. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

I am absolutely Terrified of starting this september
    I already got a letter that ive been accepted by the college ... i was made redundant in march this year .... the timing is great ....
    but im scared i hope i will be able for the course im just going to do the best i can
    I am applying for the BETA also ... I got statutory redundancy in March so i will definetly post here and let people know how that goes ... if i get that it will be such a relief to me as i dont want to be relying on my parents .. even if i get it for the 1st year i would be happy I just want to settle in .

I will be 24 in september 28 when i get my degree which Im going to work as hard as I can for .... it probably will be embarrasing for the first week with all the 18 year olds but my motto in life is that if you can do it i can do it. ... it's going to make for some interesting times ... probably stressful a few fights .... which will be nothing to the amount of course work i'm guessing

It's 2 months away but I just want it to start already to see if i can do it
    I'm really hoping to be a sucess story because I dont finish alot of things in life so im going to try and finish this one.:cool::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,511 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Try and forget the age thing, there is no need to be self conscious, you are not going to look like an adult stuck in with a bunch of schoolkids. There will be such a range of ages that you will not be at all conspicuous and the only person thinking about it will be you. And possibly a few other people in the same situation :)

You will find lecturers who don't look that much older than you, and students who are grey haired, and that's great because it breaks down the divide and turns it into a place where a whole lot of people are just working and getting on with their lives.

Good luck, enjoy the experience - I did and I was well over 25 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭TERRIC

I do think of the age thing but not because of the younger ones. I wish i was 10 years younger. I'm not in my 20's or 30's for that matter... I just hope I have the stamina for it all and that it won't kill me! 4 years does go fast but it never seems like it at the time. I'm soooooooooo scared that I'm gonna regret ever applying. It's gonna be such a change and hope n pray a better one. Oh for a nice lottery win - college place? what college place?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Russian Blue

I was a bit nervous alright about the whole thing but just today im getting really really worried. Time is flying. Just realised that theres 2 weeks left of july and then there's one more month left before the course starts. I am ****ting it now as its getting closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

I was a bit nervous alright about the whole thing but just today im getting really really worried. Time is flying. Just realised that theres 2 weeks left of july and then there's one more month left before the course starts. I am ****ting it now as its getting closer.

Same here, I have been stocking up on pencils/paper/paint/art books. Decided to go and do Fine Art Hons Degree ! I applied when I was younger, but could go for a few reasons. Now I have the chance. I'll be the only one out of my family to go to 3rd level, the second person in my extented family on both my Fathers + Mothers side to hold a degree ! Which was pointed out to me a few days ago !

So yea time is flying, starting to feel it now but can't wait.

Advertisement