Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polytunnel vision

Options
  • 29-06-2010 8:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Anyone else got a polytunnel? Mine is a few months old, everything grew twice its normal size and I need a machete to get to the far end of it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭anotherfinemess

Polytunnel ventilation problem.

Some of the fruits of my labours, specifically strawberry and squash, are going mouldy despite all the dry hot weather we have had. The tunnel has mesh doors which I leave open during the day.

I now realise that because it all grew so big there is not enough room for the air to circulate around the plants. However I want to avoid loss of crops this year. Can anyone help with advice please?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

Electric fan maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

you will know for next year . ;)

same happened to me last year.

have you tried cutting out some plants to give some ventilation to others,

I know its hard to throw out stuff ,but sometimes it has to be done.

yes I think I'll probably have to throw out stuff :-(. Also find an oscillating fan.........
    John did you plant stuff further apart than it says on the seed packets this year to account for the monster growth?
    Any more tips for a polytunned newbie anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

yup, and my toms are still too close! planted them about 600mm apart.

planted between with Basil, and a few marigolds .

I have 4 pumpkins that have taken over. planted them over 1M apart.
    culled half of the growth 4 weeks ago but will have to go at them again.
    (there going out next year) as the ones outside are doing fine, even though the flowers are a bit later on them.

• Advertisement

planted my toms 18" (46 cm) apart. Squash 3' (1m) apart. took hedgeclippers to the squash today. Not grown toms before, didn't learn about pinching out branches til late. tom patch is now a 5' high hedge. french beans should be 1', are 8'. Sweetcorn touched the roof & bent over. I could go on........

last yr corn & squash outdoors did sweet fa! hence the pt!

I reckon the true purpose of gardening is to give us something to complain about all yr round.

Advertisement