Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Visa card in UK

Options
  • 29-06-2010 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

A quick question, I am heading to the UK next week and was told by a friend that if I put credit on to my AIB visa card I can withdraw the money from a bank machine over there and only have to pay the exchange rate, there will be no fees as apposed to paying in hotel, shop etc and being charged a fee and the exchange rate.

I contacted visa customer service and the girl didn’t know and had to go ask one of her supervisors when she came back she confirmed that I could do this but she was less than convincing about it.

So just want to see if any of you guys have used this in the past?

Mark.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Some cards will, some won't. The banks have cottoned on to this and most "new" products (like the AIB Click, be cards etc if I recall correctly) will still charge you. The older, legacy cards don't have this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

If you are worried about the fees you could always bring euro with you aswel and change it at the uk post office. I visit the uk several times a year and i believe its still commission free at the counter. Only mon to fri though, depending on your location there is also one branch in an area open on sat morning.

Advertisement