Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog travelling from Ireland to the UK and back

Options
  • 29-06-2010 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Good morning,

I would like to bring my dog to the UK in september. Would she need to be vaccinated for rabbies?

Does a blood test need to be done at least 6 months before the travel date? (that's the case in and out of France)

There is no info on the irish ferries website.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

falabo wrote: »
    Good morning,

I would like to bring my dog to the UK in september. Would she need to be vaccinated for rabbies?

Does a blood test need to be done at least 6 months before the travel date? (that's the case in and out of France)

There is no info on the irish ferries website.

Many thanks
    just bring your dog over, between the UK and ireland there is no problem ,you do not need it to be vaccinated for rabbies or any blood test, or dog passport ,i have been bringing my bully between england and ireland on irish ferries for the last three years,one tip ,dont use the ferries own kennels or cages,keep you dog in the car, the dog will be more relaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

My friend brought her dog over to the UK on the ferry a few months back - and I don't think she needed anything - just a bowl for the cage where the dog was and they could visit the dog during the journey.

deelite wrote: »
    My friend brought her dog over to the UK on the ferry a few months back - and I don't think she needed anything - just a bowl for the cage where the dog was and they could visit the dog during the journey.
    you cannot visit your dog on irish ferries or stenna line when the ship is at sea ,between the UK and ireland.[the lower decks are locked] if its a aid type dog,for the blind /deaf/ect,in that case you can bring it up with you on the passenger deck.but up to now i havent seen one,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You do not need any paperwork or rabies vaccs etc to travel to the UK. Its as simple as getting on the boat and off you go.

I would recommend you leave the dog in your own car for their comfort and at least they are used to that and not some strange kennel.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

My dog has been travelling back and forth regularly, no issues at all. They even provide water bowls and poop scoops at the port while your waiting.

Also probably best to keep him in the car - Paddy really kicked off the one time I left him in the kennel - I ouldn't put him through that again.

You definately wont be able to visit him if your with Stena or IF

• Advertisement

there is always a crew member down on the car deck checking that everything is ok,i was talking to one when i came over in feb,he told me he [a dog lover] spends a lot of his time checking and talking to the dogs[thats irish ferries]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 gloomyhorizons

We're doing the swift with Irish Ferries next week, and have our dogs booked into the kennels, but a bit nervous about it now after the comments above!! If we leave them in the car, does anyone know if we can go down to the car to them during the trip please??

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

No you won't be able to visit them on the car deck.

Car v Kennels is down to the temprement of your dog. The kennels aren't hideous, but, my guy has never been cage trained or used a kennel, plus he is on the large side that's why he kicked off so much.
    First time he was left in the car on his own I was so worried what state I'd find him or the car in (chewed steering wheel etc..) but I got back to him snoozing and not one bit of destruction.

It probably something only you can decide, but, at least the car offers familiar smells to put him a little at ease.

One suggestion for a nice place to stretch their legs would be Deganwy beach, between Conwy and Llandudno on the A55... on 5 mins detour and doggy paradise!

Advertisement