Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera mounting

Options
  • 29-06-2010 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

I've mounted a Aiptek Pencam HD to the side of my trainer:
    modelplane1_log22_image6.jpg

So my question is do you think this position is a ok? The camera is only 75g so its not much weight but should I still think about a counterweight on the other side? The engine muffler would be sticking out the other side of plane and its probably about the same weight so I'm guessing (hoping :pac:) it should be ok.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Should work.
    It might pick up a little fuel residue, since the prop swirls it into an aerosol and it gets everywhere. But I notice you took care to have it on a different side from the exhaust, so you have minimised that as much as possible.
    Post some photos when you get them!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

There is a good chance you will be getting the prop in auction, but it may be what you are looking for in the fore ground. You will also get a bit of vibration, albeit, it may be at a min since you have located the camera half way down the fuse... do post the footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭privateBeavis

Its one of these cameras:

aiptek_pen1_w500.jpg

so the lens pointing straight down so nothing in the field of view and its a 720p recording so may be able to do some software anti-shake post processing (if I can find any software to do this!)
    I'll post the vid and soon as I get flying again.

after quick google found this software... very impressive result!:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNegP1X6p_k

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

after quick google found this software... very impressive result!:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNegP1X6p_k

'Steadyhand - antishake software', that is alot different than video with viberation, the shake is much more intense and smaller as its coming from the I.C engine. Have a go and see the results, you may or may not suffer from it.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

You often get more interesting shots when you point the camera back towards the tailplane, foward looking, all you get is alot of sky

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Oh, I don't know about that..........

When pointing forward you get a front row seat experience when you crash :D

If I'd had my camera when I crashed my plane a few months back it would have made for an entertaining video.

Might also have helped in the post crash analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

Reminds me of a video I made with my Easystar ......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed4WT5MSqOQ

I have a much better camera now and I think I might do some more video flights ...... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭stedabee

This is a video i put up of my majestic stunt plane, its short but u get the drift! Very fast plane too. I taped my nokia N95 into the cockpit...enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIKt4UNLrLc

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭privateBeavis

Finally got a flight with the camera on-board but don't think I'll be getting any oscars :D

720p Vid:

Was very blustry and with the straight down view not a great start but you get the idea of camera quality until I get another flight in. Next time I'll try get a good height to see can I get decent footage. Otherwise will have to look at mounting the camera pointing forwards or something.

Advertisement