Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveling the east coast

Options
  • 29-06-2010 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Im looking for a bit of advise.. im living in perth and planning on spending christmas in sydney. My plan is to fly to cairns and travel down the coast..Im just wondering can anyone advise me how much time i should give myself to do it and roughly how much cash ill need.. Im planning on doing it as a backpacker, so ill stay in hostels. Im doing it with a few friends so the plan is to hire a campervan and take turns driving. I want to have enough time that i can enjoy it and not rush it but i dont want to take too much time and get bored. Any advise would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭woodzie

I travelled the east coast in 4 weeks last January and I found it was plenty of time, got to do everything I wanted. We booked all our hostels and activities through peter pans. We got fraser island trip, whitsundays, bungee jumping, sky diving, white water rafting, zorbing and australia zoo and all our hostels for 4 weeks for around $1,400. However I spent about $4,000 on just spending money, so id say you would need $5,400. If we hadnt booked it through peter pans I reckon it would of been a lot more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 paidi09

where did you do the white water rafting woodzie? going doing the east coast in a few weeks and trying to get a plan together. what were the highlights?

The activity hightlights were bungee jumping, white water rafting and skydiving. We did the white water rafting on the tully river, if you book it through peter pans they will pick you up either in cairns or mission beach. You can do a full day or half day rafting. Definitley do the full day, some days craic.

The must see places are Fraser Island, it was amazing and try and go from dingos hostel in rainbow beach. It was brilliant craic. Whitsundays is also a must. Go on the Atlantic clipper boat if there is a group of you going, its a good laugh. We went to agnes waters and did the scooteroos. They were good craic and not too expensive.

Def go to Byron bay, you will need a few days there, its good. Surfers paradise is good also so spend a few days there.

Brisbane was good but you only need 2 or 3 days there. Australia zoo wasnt that great.

Bypass coffs harbour and port macquarie, there was nothing to do there. Mission beach was ok.

Instead of a camper van we got the Greyhound. You can get on and off as often as you want in one direction from Sydney to Cairns or Cairns to Sydney. It was pretty cheap, considering the amount of travelling you do. It cost around $400. No fighting over whos driving etc.

Hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dugganm07

cheers woodzie..was thinkin id need about the 5000 mark. I think i might go for the greyhound ticket..sounds much more hassle free. Thanks for the advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Hey all advice needed,
    thinking of doing the east coast of oz from sydney to cairns. approx 4 weeks visit, looking at costing it, some people are saying 3.5K euro others 5.5K euros, big difference as you can appreciate. whats the best way of doing it and roughly how much did it cost anyone that did do it,

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Can anyone give me an idea how much the rafting, skydive and bungee jump would be?? Exciting stuff!!

Can anyone give me an idea how much the rafting, skydive and bungee jump would be?? Exciting stuff!!

I booked eveything through peter pan shop before we left sydney, there are peter pans everywhere though. It cost about $900 for zorbing, skydiving, bungee jumping, and white water rafting. Pretty reasonable and if you book all your hostels through it also it works out way cheaper than booking stuff individually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Anyone got any thoughts on booking everything in advance versus just paying for the bus ticket and booking the rest as we go?

It'd probably work out cheaper booking it all in advance, but we don't really wanna be tied to dates, so we'd probably prefer to just book accommodation a city/town or two in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭m*pp*t

Dave! wrote: »
    Anyone got any thoughts on booking everything in advance versus just paying for the bus ticket and booking the rest as we go?

It'd probably work out cheaper booking it all in advance, but we don't really wanna be tied to dates, so we'd probably prefer to just book accommodation a city/town or two in advance.

Yeah, you'll be fine doing that. We booked some with Peter Pan's just cos we wanted to pay for the expensive stuff like rafting, Fraser and the Whitsundays before we took off. And being meek and mild Irish people we let them talk us into booking accommodation for the first ten days or so as well. But after that we just booked as we went and we'd no bother really. There's plenty of options in most East Coast towns so you'll be fine.

Advertisement