Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving direction

Options
  • 29-06-2010 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

Morning guys!

Just something thats been playing on my mind lately,

What direction is the correct way of shaving your face...Up or Down?

Since i started shaving 9/10 years ago i've always shaved up my whole face, i find i have better accuracy this way and its a closer shave. I have tried down a couple of times but it seemed to grow back much quicker and left me with spots.

I did a little survey with my friends and my dad and brother and they all said they shave down and find it weird that i shave up!

Now i know the most common way is down but am i doing it wrong shaving up or is there really no difference ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

I shave down and then go over again up to get the closer shave! Good topic drunky!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I was always told to shave with the grain (down) and not against the grain. You get less skin irritation that way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

When I'm using something with a blade i'd:

I'd generally shave down along the cheeks / jaw / mouth.

Shave up along the neck...

Kinda side ways along the chin.

But I usually let the beard grow very thick so when using an electric razor... I generally just shave upwards.

S'pose the reason why i'd do'em differently is, with the electric razor, if you clip a bit of skin.. I just get a bit of a pinch. Don't want to clip a bit of skin while using a blade.

I know.. I know... not going to do much bleeding and such... just don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

I shave down, then up.

Its an extremly close shave and the hair doesn't grow back too quickly so I've a good 3 days of smoothness haha

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

On my face I always shave down towards the ground, but on my neck i always shave up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Generally like Drav, down on the face, up on the neck and along the jaw line. But once it's short an all over up/sideways shave to get it extra smooth.

Lately i've taken to just using a tight trimmer all over though. I'd like to say it's for the stubble look but my facial hair is quite sparse so it looks relatively clean shaven anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

NothingMan wrote: »
    Generally like Drav, down on the face, up on the neck and along the jaw line. But once it's short an all over up/sideways shave to get it extra smooth.

Lately i've taken to just using a tight trimmer all over though. I'd like to say it's for the stubble look but my facial hair is quite sparse so it looks relatively clean shaven anyway.

Are those trimmers good? I'd like to have the stubble look too but i heard the trimmers can irritate your skin!

I usually shave and let it grow till i look homeless then shave again!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Are those trimmers good? I'd like to have the stubble look too but i heard the trimmers can irritate your skin!

I usually shave and let it grow till i look homeless then shave again!

Never had a problem with irritation myself.

Yeah... I do the homeless beard thing too... too lazy to shave every couple of days...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

On my face I always shave down towards the ground, but on my neck i always shave up

Thats what I do. I generally find it awkward to shave down on the neck. It usually misses bits.

I'd like to recommend you the trimmer, but I kind of did a role reversal and steal the girlfriends lady bits trimmer(I use a different top on it though :o). I don't see how it could irritate you cause if you're leaving 1mm of hair then all your doing is rubbing a plastic topper against your face for a minute and all the hair is snipped by the blade 1mm away from your face.

I never liked using electric shavers though, they did seem to make my face feel all dry and red.

• Advertisement

I don't see how it could irritate you cause if you're leaving 1mm of hair then all your doing is rubbing a plastic topper against your face for a minute and all the hair is snipped by the blade 1mm away from your face.

The heat generated by some of them can cause irritation. I bought this and the blasted thing gave me a horrible pimply rash like nothing I've ever encountered before. I've since gone back to this. While it doesn't give a close shave (leaves a very thin line of stubble but i dont mind that) but causes no irritation and I've had it two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

With the grain, across the grain and finally against the grain is my method.
    Just make sure your face is prepared before (have a bath/shower/sauna/hot towel wrap) and never drag a razor across dry skin.

Use a shaving brush and a proper shaving soap/cream and apply lather between each razor pass.

Have a look here

I don't see how it could irritate you cause if you're leaving 1mm of hair then all your doing is rubbing a plastic topper against your face for a minute and all the hair is snipped by the blade 1mm away from your face.

That's very true, i just got that impression from my flat mate, he uses one and everytime he used it his skin would be all blotchy and pimples appearing, he has since started clean shaving and the results are much better so he put it down to the trimmer!

Now that i think of it the trimmer could have been dirty!
    Probably some guy at a house party using it on his bits!

I'm in a predicament, see i like the homeless stubble look, i look better with it, fairly distinguished i must say! The itchyness wins in the end though and i have to shave it off for relief! On the other other hand i LOVE the feeling of a clean shave, but i'm left looking like a 12 year old boy! :( So i can't win!

P.s ... anyone try a turkish shave yet? I had one done last week! :cool:

Galvasean wrote: »
    The heat generated by some of them can cause irritation. I bought this and the blasted thing gave me a horrible pimply rash like nothing I've ever encountered before. I've since gone back to this. While it doesn't give a close shave (leaves a very thin line of stubble but i dont mind that) but causes no irritation and I've had it two years.

Well this is what I use/steal. With the trimmer head on the closest setting. Does me fine and makes a change from my Mach 3 being all used and gross.

Just make sure your face is prepared before (have a bath/shower/sauna/hot towel wrap) and never drag a razor across dry skin.

Use a shaving brush and a proper shaving soap/cream and apply lather between each razor pass.

Have a look here

I first use that Nivea exfoliating stuff in the shower then get out and put on shaving gel, shave. Then afterwards rinse my face with warm water, dab with a towel and put on some moisturizer!

If i don't shower i wash my face with hot water and rub soap in to soften the hair , wash off with warm water again and shave away and put the cream on afterwards!

Been fairly tempted to get a straight razor though! I really do love shaving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I always shave down, I end up with a very irritable skin if I shave up

Bryn wrote: »
    I always shave down, I end up with a very irritable skin if I shave up

See it's the opposite for me, and i just wanna know why!?

Unless it could be because my face is like this :pac:

Does it have something to do with whatever way you shave first?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Facial hair & Hats forum. Imagine, a whole forum dedicated to shaving, not shaving, razors, brushes, creams, soaps, hair trimmers - and the occasional hat.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

See it's the opposite for me, and i just wanna know why!?

Unless it could be because my face is like this :pac:

I knew what was coming before clicking but man, that was funny! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

The direction depends on the grain.
    Always shave with the grain, less ingrown hairs and rash that way.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Facial hair & Hats forum. Imagine, a whole forum dedicated to shaving, not shaving, razors, brushes, creams, soaps, hair trimmers - and the occasional hat.

I didn't realize there was a Facial hair forum! Boards really does have every type of forum!! :eek:

My apologies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 trotskee

Always with the grain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

Usually for me it's down to get rid of the thickest stubble and then up for the smoothest possible shave. If I only shave downwards then it just feels like a job half done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Have a look here

Listen to the man, he knows what he's talking about!

Great stuff in the Safety Razors thread in Facial Hair and Hats. Been using a safety razor for a good while now. Bought blades for my Mach 3 recently as I had to shave in a hurry and it felt like I was plucking each hair out of my face as I was shaving, wasn't a very clean shave and gave me dry skin afterwards. Horrible things altogether!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 pento

use olive oil to shave, shaving cream is a scam.

pento wrote: »
    use olive oil to shave, shaving cream is a scam.

It's cheaper than olive oil! Costs a lot to pulp up all those virgins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

I shave down the face & chin and up the neck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

OldGoat wrote: »

Throw it over if you want (with a redirect of course! ;))

BTW, it's best to shave with the grain initially. After that if you want a closer shave you can go back and shave against it. It's important to look at the direction of the grain across your face as it may not all be growing in the same direction. Let the stubble grow out for a few days if you can't see it easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Thomas828 wrote: »
    Usually for me it's down to get rid of the thickest stubble and then up for the smoothest possible shave. If I only shave downwards then it just feels like a job half done.

this, but i've recently moved to a safety razor which makes shaving against the grain oh so much more dangerous. that being said though going with the grain with a safety razor is so smooth i wouldn't attempt going against the grain with it.

Advertisement