Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving direction

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Always shave down even on the neck. Have tried up a few times on the neck but it just rips my skin to shreds and it flares up later that day which is never a good look.

I do generally make a second pass on the face going from the ears at an angle to the chin. Works a charm and cuts it quite tight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

First pass with the grain, second pass against the grain, third pass (only stubborn parts like just below the jawline) across the grain.

I also use a safety razor, they give extremely close shaves with the right razor/blade/soap combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Has anyone ever seen that stupid program on RTE1 from time to time...forget the name but it's four American doctors basically giving advice on everything and anything.
    They said always with the grain. If you go against it causes irritation apparently and you want to leave just a bit of the hair itself left. Now for ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

I would always shave with the grain, so down the face and neck. Never feel good shaving up as its cutting against the face, would only do this if a difficult patch needed sorting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I always shave from the bottom of the sideburns to the chin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭carlaboi

I always shave up but I always thought you shave up on the neck and down on the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

with the grain for the first pass, which for me is mostly downward and left to right, then depending on how much growth I had in the first place another pass with the grain or across and then finally against (upward in places and right to left in places). Always more risk of cuts against the grain and to be honest you can easily get close enough with the grain. Lots of good discussion of shaving and safety razors in the Beards and Hats Forum, much though that may not entirely make sense...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

1st pass, always with the grain....just remember that hair doesn't just grow up or down.

2nd pass, across the grain, from jawline to nose,

3rd pass, as above but from nose to jawline

4th pass, against the grain....

Result: super smooth skin in every direction.

I use a safety razor, brush and soap/cream, never that crap in a can.

@ Creamy Goodness, shaving against the grain isn't a problem with a safety razor, the key is proper preparation, and using more than 1 pass, even if you just use 2 passes, 1 with the grain and 1 against the grain it makes it much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

+ 1

Take a trip into the Waldorf Barbers on Westmoreland St (assuming you're in Dublin)
    Hot towel shave in there is the best around

R

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭johnmacward

Are those trimmers good? I'd like to have the stubble look too but i heard the trimmers can irritate your skin!

I usually shave and let it grow till i look homeless then shave again!
    Trimmers will definitely NOT irritate your skin, unless you decide to hack your face off with one. There not close enough to irritate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭johnmacward

foinse wrote: »
    1st pass, always with the grain....just remember that hair doesn't just grow up or down.

2nd pass, across the grain, from jawline to nose,

3rd pass, as above but from nose to jawline

4th pass, against the grain....

Result: super smooth skin in every direction.

I use a safety razor, brush and soap/cream, never that crap in a can.

@ Creamy Goodness, shaving against the grain isn't a problem with a safety razor, the key is proper preparation, and using more than 1 pass, even if you just use 2 passes, 1 with the grain and 1 against the grain it makes it much easier.
    What DAY of the week do you leave free for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

What DAY of the week do you leave free for that?

:D:D:D It takes about 10 minutes in total. When I first started with the safety razor it took about 20 minutes but it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I'm about 10 minutes too but only for 3 passes. Love the way the first pass is taken slow and carefully but the last pass is a quick and nonchalant swipe.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

i always shave up on my cheeks/chin area and down on my neck, i dont know how you other guys shave up on the neck? i tried this when first starting to shave (about 14/15) and had terrible irritation and "shaving bumps".

Maybe i should try shaving up again, it could have been my teenage skin that was the problem? or is that just a plain bad idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

There is no 'right' direction for everyone. Our hair grows in different ways on different parts of our face and neck. Find yours then shave with the grain, then across the grain.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

I always shave up against the grain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

NothingMan wrote: »
    Well this is what I use/steal. With the trimmer head on the closest setting. Does me fine and makes a change from my Mach 3 being all used and gross.

i hope you dont steal this from your girlfriend? its a carpet strimmer

I always shave up...with mach 5 fusion

Advertisement