Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice needed

Options
  • 29-06-2010 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone could offer some advice. We have three little dogs and when we go away normally have someone to mind them, but thats not the case this year. One of them is a bad traveller in car, so going self catering down country might be difficult and we've never left them in kennels?! So can anyone offer me advice on kennels or travelling in car etc etc... Thanks in advance....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Hi what county are you in? Someone might be able to recommend someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭talkin

u can give travel sickness tabs to dogs. seen it on the afternoon show think it was a year or two ago. not sure of the dose though think it was half a tab in food.

I use a dog sitter. My dog gets visited 4 times a day and walked, the dogs are in their own environment so there is no stress involved and not only that but the house is looked after as well as being cheaper then Kennels .

I sent you a private message with details ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ribena_baby

thanks for the replies guys and thanks dre for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 joeyspot

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone could offer some advice. We have three little dogs and when we go away normally have someone to mind them, but thats not the case this year. One of them is a bad traveller in car, so going self catering down country might be difficult and we've never left them in kennels?! So can anyone offer me advice on kennels or travelling in car etc etc... Thanks in advance....
    Hi Rirbena_baby, We use a kennels in Wicklow for our two dogs, (collie crosses?) and when we are within half mile of the kennels they bark and whine with excitement. This is I because (I believe)they have walks 5/6 times a day and they have fun with other dogs. The place never smells either and the kennel owner says it is because they do their business out in the fields. They have a site www.kingskennels.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ribena_baby

Thanks guys for all the replies. Im based in the north dublin\santry area. Can anyone recommend kennels close by or whatever. It'd be the first time leaving them so any suggestions? Thanks a mill....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Two of my dogs are bad travellers but if I need to bring them somewhere on a longish journey I still do with no problems really.

The trick is not to feed the dog on the day you are leaving you can also get some travel sickness tablets from the vets. Placing the dog in a crate will mean any dribbles can be cleaned up easily.

Some dogs are bad travellers because of the motion of the car in this case a crate can help or if you find a crate makes them worse, sitting in a car harness on someones lap can actually help a lot they relax more on someones knee and don't feel so sick. If it's their nerves that make them feel ill eg if they shake and pant a lot then having someone close to them will help.

One of my dogs is nervous so I find when she's in a car harness on someones knee she just buries her head and sleeps and feels more relaxed.
    My other dog isn't a nervous dog and it's the motion that makes him feel queezy. I haven't tried tablets with him because we have the crate and I don't mind the odd puke. He managed to go puke free the other day for almost all of the 2 hour journey and in the last 10 mins of course puked but he had eaten that day as we left late.

How long is the journey going to be?

Would work out a lot cheaper if you took them with you.

Of course if your pooch gets into a really bad state when travelling to the point where they are practically hyperventilating then of course the kennels might be a less stressful option for the dog but that involved travel to although not as long of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

My friend used to leave her dog into a kennel but if she goes anywhere now her pooch gets dropped over to me.
    When she was leaving her dog into the kennels the dog wouldn't eat, wouldn't sleep much & bark as much as she could. Basically they came home to a nervous wreck.
    Now the people that run the kennels are brilliant, facilities are excellent etc but her dog is so used to the good life that she wouldn't settle.

There are relaxants & anti sickness tablets you can get in your vets if they are very bad. I know someone who travelled a four hour journey with a dog that is prone to car sickness but was fine once they gave him the medication.

If you are using the kennels maybe sleep with a blanket for a few nights so your scent is on it & leave it with your dog when you leave him. Might help settle him in.

Advertisement