Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing your own alcohol to pubs!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Steodonn

I'm curious what booze costs in Aldi or Lidl in Ireland because in the Lidl in Amsterdam you really can get wasted out of your head on a fiver which would buy you 15 half-litre cans of beer.
    :eek:
    Cheapest here would be 7.99 for 12 cans

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

you have to in this country. its just far too much of a rip off going to the bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Wouldn't have too much of a problem with it to be quite honest. I would suggest to spend some money in the place, even if it's only one pint to get yourself the glass to pour the cans into, at least it's something. Oh and ask for a receipt ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Robbie says time for a retraction

http://www.cineworld.ie/faq

That was the first result when i searched cinema food dublin on google.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-ie%3AIE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7ADBF&q=cinema+dublin+no+food&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Now back to morals, is a person morally bankrupt if they bring food to a cinema?:D

Cineworld is the exception, in Vue's T&C's it says you can bring in food just not hot food. I know that's UCI's policy too. So You generally can bring food into the cinema.
    reprazant wrote: »
    Sorry.

So you are morally justified on sneaking booze into a niteclub because you have to pay in?

Am I correct in saying that is the gist of what you are saying?

I don't really see it as a moral issue at all. But you are not doing the club out of money, once you pay in they've made a profit on you being there. Saving yourself a but of cash while still giving some cash to a company doesn't seem in anyway immoral at all, but at the end of the day the business is out to make money and you're out to save money so as long as you're not caught and embaressed then keep on doing it.

I wouldn't do it because I have a decent job and I don't like carrying keys in my pocket let alone a naggin, but completely understand why people do it and have absolutely no issue with it. Same as I have no issue with a barman evicting them if they're caught. It's a dog eat dog world, gotta look out for numero uno.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Jazzy wrote: »
    you have to in this country. its just far too much of a rip off going to the bar

Then don't go

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    Then don't go

Or.... don't miss out on the good times in life and go but bring a little drink with you to spare a little cost on the night.

I do not think "I can't afford it" is a good reason to miss out on the good times, especially when there is a way, albeit a contreversial way, to have the best of both worlds. It's not illegal if you don't get caught!;)

NothingMan wrote: »
    Or.... don't miss out on the good times in life and go but bring a little drink with you to spare a little cost on the night.
    So you think the good times in life are at the bottom of a glass?
    I do not think "I can't afford it" is a good reason to miss out on the good times, especially when there is a way, albeit a contreversial way, to have the best of both worlds. It's not illegal if you don't get caught!;)
    I think it sounds like "I have an alcohol problem which is beyond my financial means so I sneak alcohol around in a naggin".

Then don't go

Ah stop, why would someone sit at home when they have an option to have a good time by just bringing some of their own drink to make the night a bit cheaper.

You must have an exciting life with opinions like the above.

I think it sounds like "I have an alcohol problem which is beyond my financial means so I sneak alcohol around in a naggin".

Nothing to do with needing to drink, but most people anjoy a drink. I prefer a good session and most of the time it's what we do but when someone organises a night out in a club I don't want to be the one person sitting at home alone nor do I want to be the 1 sober person when everyone else is enjoying a social drink and maybe getting a little drunk.

Just because people enjoy a good pissup doesn't mean they have a problem. Fair play to people who can go out and not drink and enjoy the night, but I relax more with a few beers, especially in a pub or club and especially if everyone else is getting merry around me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

bluewolf are you forgien?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

pampers1 wrote: »
    Hi people this is my first time posting in AH (I think). Just wondering what everyone thinks of people bringing their own alcohol to the pubs with them. Naggin's of vodka etc. I did it for the first time 3 weeks ago and saved an absolute fortune. I'm still a bit weary of being caught and turfed out with a nice embarassed head on me but Just wondering if its something that's done on a regular basis by loads of people. Apparently its all the rage.

Why not go the full hog and sell your own alcohol in the bar!:D

Tigger wrote: »
    bluewolf are you forgien?

No :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

bluewolf's only a west brit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Fair play to you if you can get away with it. For me personally though it's not for me, too much effort really such as trying not to raise suspicion at the bar, keeping your eye out for inevitable do gooders who will rat you out, dealing with the bouncers if you are caught etc etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the next time the people that bring their own drink to pubs go would they like to make a small donation towards the following:

wages
    electricity
    insurance
    heating
    subscription to sports channels
    water charges
    waste charges
    misc. charges (toilet paper, air freshner, glasses, mats, etc..)

the next time the people that bring their own drink to pubs go would they like to make a small donation towards the following:

wages
    electricity
    insurance
    heating
    water charges
    waste charges

The night club cover charge, mixers and the inevitable shots at the end of the night are plenty of a donation as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

The night club cover charge, mixers and the inevitable shots at the end of the night are plenty of a donation as far as I'm concerned.

i was talking about a pub. nightclubs deserve all the crap they get

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭okioffice84

I run a pub in Dublin city centre I've reduced prices hugely over a year ago (we're 3.60 a pint, all pints all the time- not just crappy brands either)
    Before we reduced the prices we were already the cheapest around. I just thought that people were being screwed by extra tax and reduced wages etc. and could no longer afford to go to the pub much. Even now though people still bring in their own drink into the bar. It's extremely frustrating to try and offer people the best value possible, keep the premises at a decent standard, no cover charge, pay the staff decent wages and still people try to screw you by bringing in their own drink...:mad::mad::mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Sorry man, can you hear me all the way up there on your high horse?
    I run a pub in Dublin city centre I've reduced prices hugely over a year ago (we're 3.60 a pint, all pints all the time- not just crappy brands either)
    Before we reduced the prices we were already the cheapest around. I just thought that people were being screwed by extra tax and reduced wages etc. and could no longer afford to go to the pub much. Even now though people still bring in their own drink into the bar. It's extremely frustrating to try and offer people the best value possible, keep the premises at a decent standard, no cover charge, pay the staff decent wages and still people try to screw you by bringing in their own drink...:mad::mad::mad:
    Where's your pub? I certainly wouldn't dream of bringing drink into it if yer only charging 3.60 a pint. This was my impetus in bringing naggins in - to force the pubs to lower extortionate prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

pampers1 wrote: »
    Hi people this is my first time posting in AH (I think). Just wondering what everyone thinks of people bringing their own alcohol to the pubs with them. Naggin's of vodka etc. I did it for the first time 3 weeks ago and saved an absolute fortune. I'm still a bit weary of being caught and turfed out with a nice embarassed head on me but Just wondering if its something that's done on a regular basis by loads of people. Apparently its all the rage.

Bring it,bring as much as you can,stash it in your pantys your knickers your yfronts your boxers.fcukin publicans,got enough off us in the boom years and are still trying to get it off us.

what ever saves you money.do it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

wages
    electricity
    insurance
    heating
    water charges
    waste charges

give over ffs.

if its such a burden , why do it?

cos pubs make a fookin fortune thats why:rolleyes:

no value in pubs (in dublin anyway)

down the sticks when i was working in small-medium towns i'd go out midweek for a few, smaller pubs would throw you out a sambo
    or a few chips,cocktail sausages--wasn't every night and wasn't every pub.
    but i swear to christ,the next time i worked in that town,nay near that town.
    i'd make it my mission to drop in for a few scoops,or if i wasn't stayin over for A sambo,cordial,7up etc.

just to give them a bit of business.give a little back

people have forgotten
    ,its much harder to get rid of a bad name
    than to earn a good one.

example: i live beside 3 pub's-don't go near 'em.

beaumont house=ignorant swine of an owner,saw him roaring @ a woman and child "....i own the FOCKING pub,i'll park where i want...".because she chastised him for parking outside a parking bay.{she didn't know him from adam-he ended up blocking her access to the babyseat}

the poor woman was near tears-i haven't been back since,neither have my family,extended family or friends.
    thats approx 6 years now.and i drink fairly regular and a group of 10 or more used to have sunday dinner there,as well as meet ups,birthdays etc.
    thats in excess of 54k he's missed out on.
    {based on 10 people @ 10e a head every sunday plus approx 20 pints@3.80-4.00e a pint=9k a year just on Sundays!!}

Comet=neeeds a refurb.toilets desperate.
    not a bad pint in it though.

Swiss Cottage=poor quality Guinness,mayhem on a matchday/sunday with all sorts of shams,gardaí inevitably get called.

publicans need to re-introduce value.

the goblet does all pints 4e up till 6pm every day.

thats a bit of value-no:confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I've never bothered with bringing my own drink into a pub, just not too keen on the idea. I had a few friends do it, but that was only 2 or 3 times. And it wasn't even a naggin, it was those really small bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

How do people actually get away with it? Bringing your drink into the jacks with you as you top up with your naggin/hip-flask would look very suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 aidcor

true

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Well the cinema probably doesnt want you there then, as far as I know one of their main streams of revenue is drink and beverages as they get high profit margins fromt hese and less from ticket sales.
    AFAIK a cinema breaks even on box office.
    Profit is made from the food.

I'd buy a lot more food if it was affordable.
    And in the case of the popcorn less salty :mad::mad::mad:

There is a trade off between making less profit per customer and having more customers. For near zero incrimental production costs like music industry and popcorn machines I think they would make more by reducing the price and having more customers.

Pity popcorn is so bulky other wise would be easier to smuggle in

Jigga wrote: »
    How do people actually get away with it? Bringing your drink into the jacks with you as you top up with your naggin/hip-flask would look very suspicious.

Its very easy in a busy late bar or club which is where you would be doing it anyway, I wouldn't even bother going to the jacks, Hiding in plane sight is the best option and if you do want to use the jacks everyone brings their drinks in anyway so nothing strange.

At the bar is one of the best places especially if you have help. Both people lean against the bar and chat away, with the crowd all around, one holds the glass below bar level and the other person pours, then vice versa for the other persons drink, pour you mixer and away you go.

Its very easy when you get used to it, I have been very blatant on occasion and still not been noticed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've brought drink into pubs. Simply to save me money. I dont do it very often, usually just as a cheap alternative to getting utterly shafted by most pubs in Dublin. When you stop charging €5.50 for a crappy pint and €3.50 for a small coke, then i'll start giving you my money.
    And in the case of the popcorn less salty :mad::mad::mad:
    Never! If you can still feel your tongue after a large popcorn, its not salty enough :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

But the pubs wouldnt exist without alcohol as people don't drink 10 pints of coke .
    I'd have no problem drinking that much non-caffeinated soft drinks.

I hate pints of blackcurrent (price varies from 70c to €2.00, and occasionally free ) as it's usually very watery.

If I buy beer in a supermarket it's about €3/L, for soft drinks it's as little as 50c/L (far less if you go for generic bands )but in a pub they are the same price. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Rojo25

Nothing better then a cool smooth pint that wasnt poured by yourself in a haphazard manner on the kitchen counter, straight into a immaculately clean glass from the publicans tap.

The thought of going into a pub, with some vodka hidden away all dry and warm in your pocket, sneaking it out to put in a poorly mixed fashion into your glass of coke, gastley sh*t

If you wanna go the pub, dont be mean and buy a drink, thats the point of a pub.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Rojo25 wrote: »
    If you wanna go the pub, dont be mean and buy a drink, thats the point of a pub.
    If you want people to go to your pub, dont me mean and dont rip them off.

Advertisement