Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing your own alcohol to pubs!

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Tigger wrote: »
    bluewolf are you forgien?

Probably just a raging stick in the mud. You know....one of those people who has a crippling fear that someone, somewhere might be enjoying themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mini Driver

even when people bring in the sneaky naggin, they still have to pay for coke, 7up etc which costs about €3 so its not like the pub gets nothing and people genuinely wouldn't do it if the prices were reasonable

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Excise Duty http://www.revenue.ie/en/about/foi/s16/excise/budget-2010-excise-rates-manual.pdf

SPIRITS €31.13 per litre of alcohol
    (so a litre of something 40% alcohol there would be €12.452 ie 40% of €31.13 - for 750ml the duty would be €9.339)

BEER
    less than 1.2% vol = €0.00

Home Produced Beer exceeding 1.2% vol but not exceeding 2.8% vol, on which the tax is paid by the producer = €7.85 per hectolitre per cent of alcohol in the beer
    The idea was to get people to drink lower alcohol drinks. I think this is just for microbreweries or does it apply to the big ones too ? - it works out at a maximum duty of 12.5c per pint, you'd think the publicans would be grateful enough to sell more of the stuff since they are always blaiming tax take for high prices.

All Other Beer
    €15.71 per hectolitre per cent of alcohol in the beer
    1 pint = 0.568 L = 0.00568 hectolitre so it's 8.92c per % per pint

4% means the excise duty on that pint is 35.7c
    4.5% is 40.2c / 5% = 44.6c duty

Publicans are pestering government to reduce the tax on drink , the truth is that Excise duty is less than 10% the price of a pint you could probably save that much by going to the next pub.

VAT at 21% is the main tax on drink and publicans can claim some of that back against their spending. I can't see the government reducing tax on drink when the publicans aren't cutting in to their 70-75% take.

BTW
    The current price for barley is about €100 per tonne and you can make a lot of pints from 1,000Kg of barley so raw materials cost to breweries per pint hardly figures in the pub price.

And they still charge more for the soft drinks :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

If I can't afford to go to the pub to meet my friends - I stay in.

Its a pretty simple solution.

I in no way would want to be looked upon as a cheapskate/nacker/bum or whatever.

Students and oul wans seem to do this the most.

If the pub you're meeting in is particularly expensive, go to a different pub. Simple.

Capt'n Midnight - you Excise and VAT is all well and good, but they do have to make a profit you know. There is possibly rent, rates, salarys etc etc to all be accounted for in the price of the drinks.

I'm not saying some places aren't a rip off, but the vast majority are not.

**edit, and people moan about the price of drink today.

Well I just did a little bit of research there.

In 1997, I remember paying around £2.20 for a pint of Carlsberg (may have been £2.17 or whatever). Using an inflation calculator, this would work out at about £3.45 today

http://www.anthonykelly.com/inflation.html (uses prices of Guinness throughout the years to give an indication)

If using the current exchange rate between £stg and €, this works out around €4.19 (using that as £stg/£Ir were virtually identical).

If using the old €1.27 per £1 during the change over (which is not applicable now) it would be €4.38

We're not really paying much more for a pint these days, are we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Ozil

I in no way would want to be looked upon as a cheapskate/nacker/bum or whatever.

That's your own insecurity then, personally I couldn't give a damn how I'm "looked upon".

• Advertisement

Ozil wrote: »
    That's your own insecurity then, personally I couldn't give a damn how I'm "looked upon".

Nothing to do with insecurity. You go to the pub to enjoy the atmosphere, meet your friends, drink the drinks there etc

Its exactly how I'd view others doing it, hence I wouldn't do it myself. Nothing to do with insecurity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I'll do it in nightclub on occasion. If i've been out in a pub paying over a fiver a pint and then moving on to a club i'll buy a naggin of rum. I mix rum with water so i don't have to pay for a mixer. Love the aul agua mala's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Ozil

Its exactly how I'd view others doing it, hence I wouldn't do it myself. Nothing to do with insecurity.

Well if you are afraid what people think of you, or the image they have of you, and change your behaviour to accomodate that - then that is insecurity. What does it matter what other people think of you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Where would be the best place to buy a hip-flask? Argos sell them around €20, anywhere know any places cheaper?

Ozil wrote: »
    Well if you are afraid what people think of you, or the image they have of you, and change your behaviour to accomodate that - then that is insecurity. What does it matter what other people think of you?

Eh, no, I said its what I wouldn't want to think of myself doing, as that's how I view others who do it, and wouldn't want to be a cheap ass knacker.
    Jigga wrote: »
    Where would be the best place to buy a hip-flask? Argos sell them around €20, anywhere know any places cheaper?

Buy one?? Just make one, or bring a brown paper bag.

• Advertisement

Jigga wrote: »

Shops that sell supplies for things like fishing and shooting usually have the best selection, I paid around 12 euro for mine. Ebay is cheaper if you dont mind the wait, not sure about quality though. A 7oz one is the best size. Its holds 200ml (same as a naggin) but fits perfectly in your pocket, its no worse than a phone or you wallet when you get used to it. 6oz is a bit small and 8oz are a bit awkward.

People may ask why use a hip flask and not just buy a naggin, well a naggin is a pain in your pocket with the big cap also buying big bottles (especially if you get them abroad) is a lot cheaper than naggins, its also gives you a better selection. Naggins of jager or captain morgan are hard to come by.
    Eh, no, I said its what I wouldn't want to think of myself doing, as that's how I view others who do it, and wouldn't want to be a cheap ass knacker.

I would say you are in a tiny minority though. If aI see someone doing it I think they are smart, people who see me doing it say fair play. Its not the reserve of students either. All my friends do it from time to time and we are all working some in good jobs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Naggins of jager or captain morgan are hard to come by.

I've come across naggins of Morgans, but I was never aware there was naggins of Jager. Do they definitely exist?

Denny M wrote: »
    I've come across naggins of Morgans, but I was never aware there was naggins of Jager. Do they definitely exist?

I don't know tbh, They sell small bottles alright around 50ml I think but don't remember seeing naggins (I presume they do exist some where). Naggins of captain morgan are fairly rare too, unless places have started stocking them more now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I don't know tbh, They sell small bottles alright around 50ml I think but don't remember seeing naggins (I presume they do exist some where). Naggins of captain morgan are fairly rare too, unless places have started stocking them more now.

Yeah, a Centra near me has Morgans, but they are labelled as being "brand new", so they must have just started doing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

It depends where i'm going out. If im just going to my local i wont bring anything in as its only €3 pints. But if im off into town ill bring in a sneaky naggin to help me on my way.

Advertisement