Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing your own alcohol to pubs!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

stimpson wrote: »
    My point is that many publicans were doing very, very well before the recession.

During the celtic tiger, 2 or 3 pubs closed down in Dun Laoghaire so not all publicans were doing well before the recession.

Many of the pubs closing down before the recession were country pubs that didn't have a viable population to serve any more.

In the town where my girlfriend is from, 2 of the 4 pubs closed down. This is even though the population of the town doubled in the last 15 years.

Not everyone is making a shed load of cash during the celtic tiger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Demonon

yungwan wrote: »
    We all understand that times are difficult for business today but consumers still want to enjoy their nights out whilst also saving some money. As other posts have said nobody goes out and doesnt put their hand into their pocket all night. We simply decide to give the publican €30 on a night out rather than €80 for example.

This sums up the whole thread for me.

If I didn't sneak drink into a nightclub, I just wouldn't go full stop - too expensive. Net profit to owner = €0

If I do sneak drink into a nightclub, I'll still spend the admission fee, maybe 1 pint, and a coke or 2. Net profit to owner = €20-€25

I know which one of those scenarios I'd prefer if I owned a business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

reprazant wrote: »
    So, you go to a club and pay that much for the drink and then moan that the owners charge it?

If you don't want to pay it, don't bloody go.

Its not rocket science. If people stop going, then they will lower their prices.

I don't normally moan about it, but when in Rome...

I'm not going to bite off my nose to spite my face. I rarely go to clubs and when I do it's usually for a friends b'day or another occassion. I can afford to drink in clubs and I do not smuggle in drink because I don't think it would be worth the hassle.

As far as I'm concerned life is for living so do what you can while you can and if everyone took the attitude of "I can't afford it so I can't do it" you're letting opportunities of good times pass you by. If you can make the most of it by bending the rules a little and making it so you can afford to do it then more power to you. I'd rather they were out having fun than sitting at home wishing they were and unfortunately for the most part, pubs and clubs are where the fun's at, and drinking can be fun so none of that "you don't need to drink" malarly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

reprazant wrote: »
    During the celtic tiger, 2 or 3 pubs closed down in Dun Laoghaire so not all publicans were doing well before the recession.

And my architect neighbour is currently buying a holiday home in the south of France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Demonon

rebel10 wrote: »
    Can i ask, if a person brings their own drink into a pub, gets really drunk, walks out the front door of the pub, onto a main road, gets hit by a car, dies, is the pub liable for letting him/her get that bad? :confused:

No, why would you even suggest that?

It's the exact same scenario if someone gets hammered at home and walks onto the main road and dies. Personal responsibility.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Think i care?

Never accussed you of that... but if you want to be blunt... I will too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

LoanShark wrote: »
    I work in a pub and to be honest if I caught you in my place with your own drink the next time your feet would hit the ground would be on the day your getting discharged from the hospital...Its a F$%king nightmare trying to make any money in this industry at the moment just to cover costs and with w-ankers like you bringing in your own drink is just not on...IF you want somewhere warm to sit and have a drink then sit at home..It is people like you who are ruining the Irish Pub and industry..

You sure it's not the angry, aggressive and violent publicans who charge outrageous prices for a pint?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

Demonon wrote: »
    No, why would you even suggest that?

It's the exact same scenario if someone gets hammered at home and walks onto the main road and dies. Personal responsibility.
    I ask it because not so long ago a man was killed after coming out of a hotel, drunk, and the hotel staff were, as far as I know, in hot water for letting him get that bad and not putting him into a taxi. I ask because as some have said, you can see how drunk someone is getting when serving them. If something happens to them can the pub be held accountable?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I ask it because not so long ago a man was killed after coming out of a hotel, drunk, and the hotel staff were, as far as I know, in hot water for letting him get that bad and not putting him into a taxi. I ask because as some have said, you can see how drunk someone is getting when serving them. If something happens to them can the pub be held accountable?

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,094 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There are always the cut-price donation only shebeens, which seem to be getting free advertising these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Never accussed you of that... but if you want to be blunt... I will too...

Hold on a sec. Your upset becasue i had the cheek to make a fairly harmless sarcastic remark to a barman relating to the extortionate price of a pint? It was said with a laugh & not meant as an insult.

I'd say he's heard a lot worse than that. Come off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

And my architect neighbour is currently buying a holiday home in the south of France.

- 40 ft (closed. Reopened as Bodega. Closed again. Now reopened as 40 ft again. Always empty & will soon close down again)
    - King Laoghaire
    - the 2 pubs which attempted to open beside Motion picture
    - The night club in the Kingston.

They are just off the top of my head. There were more.

Just because your local has made a lot of money, does not mean that all have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

Yes.
    That is crazy. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Honestly i couldn't care how well off or wealthy any publican is... If their running their business well and making profit fair dues.
    As for the price of drink, I think the government is the first to blame not the publicans.

(And no i am not a publican nor am i associated with any pub besides being a customer)

Now back on topic: if you don't have the money to buy drink in the pub all night IMO you've 3 options:

1: Have a few beers at home first and make the 1 or 2 you buy in the pub last.
    2: Take it easy on the sauce for the night or stay off it entirely
    3: Stay at home

My preferred option would be number 1 and its something i do quite often :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

LoanShark wrote: »
    I work in a pub and to be honest if I caught you in my place with your own drink the next time your feet would hit the ground would be on the day your getting discharged from the hospital...Its a F$%king nightmare trying to make any money in this industry at the moment just to cover costs and with w-ankers like you bringing in your own drink is just not on...IF you want somewhere warm to sit and have a drink then sit at home..It is people like you who are ruining the Irish Pub and industry..

Swings and roundabouts my friend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Can i ask, if a person brings their own drink into a pub, gets really drunk, walks out the front door of the pub, onto a main road, gets hit by a car, dies, is the pub liable for letting him/her get that bad? :confused:

the pub would have to be proven negligent for liability to attach. don't see hows that could happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Yes.
    explain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭thebullkf

I didn't start the thread, I didn't come here to complain, I'm just giving the facts and answers to the issues being raised. I'm trying to give the other side to the the arguement.

4.50 for Heinekens. Vodka on it's own is 3.65, the splits of Coke/7up/Orange are 2.60. So the price of a Vodka and Coke would be 4.30 (You get two serving of Coke from the split) We have dashes of white/red lemonade, blackcurrant, orange cordial, lime cordial, pep, free of charge.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

no wonder your pub is doing poorly if you're the barman:P:P:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I do it all the time to be honest and dont feel one bit guility. Ill buy a few in the pub and "top them up" with a naggin i bring with me. The pub still gets some money off me but i dont send myself jokey broke paying full price for the night. Have been caught once and the bouncer just laughed.

Theres so many nights out to go to the analogy of "staying at home" or "only having one or 2" just doesnt work sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

pampers1 wrote: »
    Hi people this is my first time posting in AH (I think). Just wondering what everyone thinks of people bringing their own alcohol to the pubs with them. Naggin's of vodka etc. I did it for the first time 3 weeks ago and saved an absolute fortune. I'm still a bit weary of being caught and turfed out with a nice embarassed head on me but Just wondering if its something that's done on a regular basis by loads of people. Apparently its all the rage.

Bet you didnt think you would open up this can of worms! lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

thebullkf wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

no wonder your pub is doing poorly if you're the barman:P:P:P

Read the brackets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Pre drinking is the way to go.

We have poker nights, bands etc. We even did a free BBQ during Cheltenham week, free Chinese food New Years, little fireworks display. We're a small pub, we look after our customers. There's other issues with broadcasting games and you wouldn't believe the cost of SKY.

By the sound of it you are in a fairly local type of pub, I dont think that type of pub would be effected by people bringing their own drink. I would never drink my own drink in my local pubs or really in any pub until its gets to spirit time as I would want to be drinking draught pints which is the reason I go to the pub in the first place, drinking at home is boring and the beer is bad.

However after drinking a heap of pints in a late bar and buying mixers I have no problem saving my self the 20 to 30 quid by having a hip flask of some spirit. Like wise when I pay 15 euro into the night club, pay for the cloakroom and buy mixers and probably a few shots I have no problem saving some money by having some of my own drink. I will still spent 40 euro in the club instead of 80 euro which is better for my pocket and still not bad for the owner.

anniehoo wrote: »
    Theres so many nights out to go to the analogy of "staying at home" or "only having one or 2" just doesnt work sorry.

What's wrong with water, cordial, and soft drinks?
    Making excuses tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Read the brackets.

He did, €3.65 for a vodka plus one half of a coke split at €2.60 = €1.30

€1.30 + €3.65 = €4.95 not €4.30

But if you want to charge €4.30 that'd be just fine for vodka & coke drinkers i'm sure. :p

bluewolf wrote: »
    What's wrong with water, cordial, and soft drinks?
    Making excuses tbh

Come on people go out and they want to drink and get merry/drunk, I certainly have no interest in going out and sipping soft drinks for a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Steodonn

Have publicans considered that maybe there just isent enough demand to fill all the pubs we have ?

Maybe some of them going out of business is a good thing. I have a huge choice of pubs whiten walking distance of my house most of witch are never full and some not even close to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Come on people go out and they want to drink and get merry/drunk, I certainly have no interest in going out and sipping soft drinks for a night.

Which is just as expensive as drinking pints anyway. Publicans can't blame this one on the government either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭pampers1

yungwan wrote: »
    Bet you didnt think you would open up this can of worms! lol :D

Lol:D I really didn't. I just wanted to find out how popular bringing your own drink into a pub was... Some people do and some don't. That's just the way it is.

I'll quite happily be doing the oul crouching tiger hidden naggin this weekend at some stage! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Becky_Boo

Definitely practised among students, especially in the student bars, it's just too easy. In fairness though the student bars usually have decent prices so I don't always do it but saves me a fortune especially on the big nights out!
    A naggin of vodka and 500ml soft drink mixer typically costs €8.50. Naggin (200ml) contains 5 x 40ml measures...so 5 drinks.
    This equivilent of this in a pub/club would set me back €26.50 at the very least based on my calculation: vodka = €4 (my local price) and mixer at €2.60 split for 2 vodkas is €1.30... so €5.30 per drink x 5 drinks as in a naggin = €26.50.
    As a student I simpily can't afford this. The answer is usually just pre-drinking in a house or downing it on the bus/luas if we're stuck for time heading into town. Most clubs now have male and female bouncers so it can be tough to bring in the sneaky naggin but there's certainly a few places that you can get away with it.
    Can't say I've brought my own naggin to a local pub usually on these nights I'd just have a 'social drink' i.e make 2/3 pints last that bit longer.

Advertisement