Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing your own alcohol to pubs!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Ah come on if I spent 40euro in a night club instead of 80euro its hardly like Im only leaving crumbs.

It's not like you don't have options. You could:
    a) drink less - something most Irish people should usefully consider
    b) drink before you go out
    c) drink at home
    You don't have to drink in a bar or nightclub. You don't even have to go to them. But when you cross their doors, you've agreed to abide by their rules, one of which is quite reasonably that you don't bring your own drink in.
    What about someone not drinking and only have a soft drink or two, they would spend less than someone who brings in their own drinks, buys the mixers and maybe has a few additional drinks. Should non-drinkers stay at home too?

Nice law-abiding people who aren't insistent on getting out of their minds pished? If only every bar was full of them! (And I bet most bar staff would agree with that too.)
    There are also plenty of nights where I would not bring my own drink and leave large sums of cash behind the bar so they can feck off tbh, I will bring my own from time to time to make my night a bit cheaper.

Like I said, you have other options. Stay at home and drink your head off there, for example. But this intrigues me: explain to me how the bar should feck off when you're the one coming to them? Maybe you should be the one fecking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

To those who say you should never bring drink to a pub can i ask ye, have you ever brought food to a cinema?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

To those who say you should never bring drink to a pub can i ask ye, have you ever brought food to a cinema?

A pub's primary purpose is serving alcohol, a cinema's is showing movies.

They may make a killing on the popcorn but if they took away the movies nobody would be there, much like if a pub took away the booze, it'd just be a coffee shop.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    A pub's primary purpose is serving alcohol, a cinema's is showing movies.

They may make a killing on the popcorn but if they took away the movies nobody would be there, much like if a pub took away the booze, it'd just be a coffee shop.

So thats a yes the is it?

So thats a yes the is it?

But I don't bring my own movies.

• Advertisement

But I don't bring my own movies.

Ok but you do bring food to the cinema when usually the specifically prohibit you doing so.

Personally, I don't eat in cinemas at all. If I want food, I'll cook or go to a restaurant.
    You're there to see the movie. That's why I go.
    Few things more annoying than some gormless fattie mindlessly shovelling handfuls of sh!te down their neck throughout a film, rustling the packets and slurping like a toothless granny.
    It's about as inconsiderate, ignorant and selfish as the tightarses who sneak gargle into pubs, in my opinion.

Personally, I don't eat in cinemas at all. If I want food, I'll cook or go to a restaurant.
    Few things more annoying than some gormless fattie mindlessly shovelling handfuls of sh!te down their neck throughout a film, rustling the packets and slurping like a toothless granny.
    It's about as inconsiderate, ignorant and selfish as the tightarses who sneak gargle into pubs, in my opinion.

Well dont you seem very friendly!

Ok but you do bring food to the cinema when usually the specifically prohibit you doing so.

I have done previously - I have also brought crisps into the pub though.

Would you sneak into a movie without paying or bring your own flask of coffee into a coffee shop and order a sandwich?

It's not like you don't have options. You could:
    a) drink less - something most Irish people should usefully consider
    b) drink before you go out
    c) drink at home
    You don't have to drink in a bar or nightclub. You don't even have to go to them. But when you cross their doors, you've agreed to abide by their rules, one of which is quite reasonably that you don't bring your own drink in.

Nice law-abiding people who aren't insistent on getting out of their minds pished? If only every bar was full of them! (And I bet most bar staff would agree with that too.)

Like I said, you have other options. Stay at home and drink your head off there, for example. But this intrigues me: explain to me how the bar should feck off when you're the one coming to them? Maybe you should be the one fecking off.

I don't like drinking at home and dont want to start the night drinking spirits I like to drink pints in a pub, go to a club pay in and buy mixers, then use my own drink a bit and then probably buy at least 2 drinks there. I'm happy enough with doing this and it means I can have a slightly cheaper night than by paying the crazy drink prices all night in a club.

I doubt very much it is putting anybody out of a job as I may be bending the rules but I'm still putting as much money in the pocket of the owner as a non-drinker or someone who drinks very little.

• Advertisement

Your opinion is wrong though. If you weren't supposed to eat in the cinema then the cinema wouldn't sell food in their premises.

If you have a problem with other people perhaps you should invest in a home cinema system or only go to see films in the IFI.

Well the cinema probably doesnt want you there then, as far as I know one of their main streams of revenue is drink and beverages as they get high profit margins fromt hese and less from ticket sales.

Before anyone says something like a cinemas main objective is to show films, I call shenanigans!

A cinema is a business and a business's main objective is turn a profit everything else is just there to help them turn a profit!

I don't like drinking at home, I go out drink pints in a pub, go to a club pay in and buy mixers, then use my own drink a bit and then probably buy at least 2 drinks there. I'm happy enough with doing this and it means I can have a slightly cheaper night than by pay the crazy drink prices all night in a club.

It's not about what you're 'happy enough' about. You still haven't invited me round to cook in your gaff yet, I notice!
    I doubt very much it is putting anybody out of a job as I may be bending the rules but I'm still putting as much money in the pocket of the owner as a non-drinker or someone who drinks very little.

There's a bigger mark-up on mixers, generally. Publicans would be delighted I'm sure to have a bar full of non-drinkers supping coffee and cola, and not have to deal with the vomit, the fights, the legal ramifications and all the other nonsense that comes with people who, like you, feel some compelling need to get smashed when they go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I often bring my own drink out with me. Like a naggin in my bag or whatever. And this is coming from someone who's Father owns/runs a bar..meh!

I have done previously - I have also brought crisps into the pub though.

Would you sneak into a movie without paying or bring your own flask of coffee into a coffee shop and order a sandwich?

I have in the past left one theatre and walked into a another so two for the price of one films.

I dont see how that affects the cinemas revenue i wasnt going to pay for the second film and the seat was empty anyway so they didnt lose revenue they just didnt make any extra!

When i was a youngster and attending school in a certain area close to the city centre we would often spend our lunches sitting in mcdonalds or cafes eating food we had not purchased there although one of my friedns would have!

Well the cinema probably doesnt want you there then, as far as I know one of their main streams of revenue is drink and beverages as they get high profit margins fromt hese and less from ticket sales.

But their primary source of revenue is showing movies. Of course they want me there. At a tenner a ticket, and no mess to clear up after me, they'd like me in there all the time.
    Before anyone says something like a cinemas main objective is to show films, I call shenanigans!

Call whoever you want, it's still their main objective! Just as a bar's main objective is to serve alcohol, even if they also offer crisps, sambos or coffee.

oooops! I already said it. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I work in Dublin pub, we charge 4 euro for a pint of Guinness. I accept that there are alot of pubs charging higher prices, this may be down to greed or just bad management. I'm sure you'll also accept that there are pubs, like the one I work in, that are trying to offer value for money, I can only speak for my pub, and others like it, not any of the higher priced pubs.

how much are you charging for a soft drink? Most bars are charging up to 2.70 for a soft drink and over 3 euros for a red bull. That is where the real rip off is happening, especially when a coke comes from one of those guns. Absolute rip off.

But their primary source of revenue is showing movies. Of course they want me there. At a tenner a ticket, and no mess to clear up after me, they'd like me in there all the time.

Actually they'd prefer the person who spends a tenner on the ticket and then spends another tenner on popcorn and drinks. If you can't see the simple maths involved then I pity you.

Actually they'd prefer the person who spends a tenner on the ticket and then spends another tenner on popcorn and drinks. If you can't see the simple maths involved then I pity you.

You suggested they didn't want people there who didn't also buy sweets and cola.
    I take it you now accept that's not the case?

• Advertisement

your wrong there the Film companies take most of the revenue from ticket sales its one of their biggest ways to make a profit on films they make.

The cinema makes most of its revenue from other streams mainly food and beverages!
    Call whoever you want, it's still their main objective! Just as a bar's main objective is to serve alcohol, even if they also offer crisps, sambos or coffee.

No their main objective like any business is profit!
    A business that makes no profit does not remain a business for long.

*That is unless its being run as a loss earner to offset tax from a larger more profitable company.

I have in the past left one theatre and walked into a another so two for the price of one films.

I dont see how that affects the cinemas revenue i wasnt going to pay for the second film and the seat was empty anyway so they didnt lose revenue they just didnt make any extra!

You could apply the same logic to a pub. I only came in for the one pint so this can I'm drinking isn't affecting your revenue! I can't imagine they'd appreciate it though. ;)

There's a bigger mark-up on mixers, generally. Publicans would be delighted I'm sure to have a bar full of non-drinkers supping coffee and cola, and not have to deal with the vomit, the fights, the legal ramifications and all the other nonsense that comes with people who, like you, feel some compelling need to get smashed when they go out.

But the pubs wouldnt exist without alcohol as people don't drink 10 pints of coke . I dont see why you have such a major problem, the bar is better off than if I wasnt there and I'm better off than paying their prices all night.

Regardless of what points you make I will still not think twice of having my trusty hip-flask in my pocket on night out that I feel like not breaking the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Name one cinema which has signs which prohibit you from bringing food into the screen?

No cinema has it. Maybe 10 years ago so your comparison is null and void.

A good comparison is going into the coffee shop with a flask of coffee and a sandwich. Have you done this? Would you do this?

Your comparison is like going into a pub, and ordering a glass of water and a packet of crisps.

The pub would prefer you to be buy beer but you are doing nothing wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 pento

ive done it loads of times

You suggested they didn't want people there who didn't also buy sweets and cola.
    I take it you now accept that's not the case?

I think you'll find I did no such thing. Perhaps you should learn to read posts correctly.

Naturally cinemas would prefer if every person buys food, however they still want people there who buy only the movie tickets.

You stated that the cinema would prefer to have you there than someone who buys food. That is simply not the case. They'd make far less money if everyone of their customers was like you.

I think you'll find I did no such thing. Perhaps you should learn to read posts correctly.

Naturally cinemas would prefer if every person buys food, however they still want people there who buy only the movie tickets.

You stated that the cinema would prefer to have you there than someone who buys food. That is simply not the case. They'd make far less money if everyone of their customers was like you.

Actually what you said was:
    AnonoBoy wrote:

And what I said was:
    Of course they want me there. At a tenner a ticket, and no mess to clear up after me, they'd like me in there all the time.

So I politely suggest it's you who learns to read posts properly.

But the pubs wouldnt exist without alcohol as people don't drink 10 pints of coke . I dont see why you have such a major problem, the bar is better off than if I wasnt there and I'm better off than paying their prices all night.

I don't think most bars would see it that way.
    Regardless of what points you make I will still not think twice of having my trusty hip-flask in my pocket on night out that I feel like not breaking the bank.

Because you just HAVE to get smashed in pubs, rather than drink at home or go out and not drink so much, and who cares if you're putting jobs at risk and putting the bar at legal liability for your drunk behaviour? Lovely attitude.

So I politely suggest it's you who learns to read posts properly.

Hah! Hah! I think you need to check who you're talking to. :rolleyes:

I didn't say that at all.

If you're going to argue a point, at least you should have the intelligence to realise who you're arguing with. Putting words into people's mouths when it can be so easily be proved wrong is just a stupid thing to do.

• Advertisement

reprazant wrote: »
    Name one cinema which has signs which prohibit you from bringing food into the screen?

No cinema has it. Maybe 10 years ago so your comparison is null and void.

A good comparison is going into the coffee shop with a flask of coffee and a sandwich. Have you done this? Would you do this?

My comparision is null and void :eek:
    Thats harsh!

But I dont think so we are not talking about going to a pub and putting a box of beer on the table, we are talking about supplementing your drink with some extra.

I have and sure most have gone to a deli/cafe and brought in our crisps while a friend eats something purchased from the place!

Im sure if someone was to calculate percentage of total sales, the crisps percentage wise may be more of a loss than me sneaking in one small naggin to a pub!

Percentage wise!

Advertisement