Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing your own alcohol to pubs!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

My comparision is null and void :eek:
    Thats harsh!

But I dont think so we are not talking about going to a pub and putting a box of beer on the table, we are talking about supplementing your drink with some extra.

I have and sure most have gone to a deli/cafe and brought in our crisps while a friend eats something purchased from the place!

Im sure if someone was to calculate percentage of total sales, the crisps percentage wise may be more of a loss than me sneaking in one small naggin to a pub!

Percentage wise!

If you have already paid into the cinema, you are able to go to the cinema. No cinema stops you from bringing food in anymore.

In the same way, you can go into a pub and watch a match, having a glass of water and maybe a packets of crisps.

Bringing drinks into a pub is no different then bringing in a flask of coffee into a cafe. Do you do this? Bring crisps into the cafe is the same as bringing crisps into a pub. Everyone has done it and the vast majority of pubs do not care.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

reprazant wrote: »
    If you have already paid into the cinema, you are able to go to the cinema. No cinema stops you from bringing food in anymore.

In the same way, you can go into a pub and watch a match, having a glass of water and maybe a packets of crisps.

Bringing drinks into a pub is no different then bringing in a flask of coffee into a cafe. Do you do this? Bring crisps into the cafe is the same as bringing crisps into a pub. Everyone has done it and the vast majority of pubs do not care.

No its not the same, a cafe is primarily there for food, crisps are food!

Im not differentitiating between different types of alcohol and saying a pubs main business is to sell beer on tap not spirits! :pac:

Food is food
    alcohol is alcohol!

Thems my rules!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Keith Sherwood

would never spend any more than 10-15 euro a night on drink in any pub or club. For pubs stash a 6-pack around the back outside the pub, buy one pint and keep going out for refills, tis very handy.

And for clubs just go out absolutely scuttered, and when drunk you're usually compelled to steal drinks (I am anyway)

....Brilliant! thats whats happinin' in these parts,...

No its not the same, a cafe is primarily there for food, crisps are food!

Im not differentitiating between different types of alcohol and saying a pubs main business is to sell beer on tap not spirits! :pac:

Food is food
    alcohol is alcohol!

Thems my rules!

Insomnia & Starbucks are primarily there for food?

i like the way we are splitting hairs now!
    Well I doubt my friend would be buying a sandwich in either of these places if they dont primarily sell food so I dont see why I would be there eating my crisps! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Hah! Hah! I think you need to check who you're talking to. :rolleyes:

I didn't say that at all.

Er, yes you did:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66671678&postcount=223
    AnonoBoy wrote: »
    If you're going to argue a point, at least you should have the intelligence to realise who you're arguing with. Putting words into people's mouths when it can be so easily be proved wrong is just a stupid thing to do.

I'm worried that you're possibly nuts or on drugs now. Check back. You certainly said it.
    (Feel free to edit it now, I also quoted you saying it a few posts later!)

So by those rules a bar will primarily sell beer on tap so Im not really causing any harm by sneaking in spiritis as im not affecting their primary revenue so its all gravy eh!

Er, yes you did:

I'm worried that you're possibly nuts or on drugs now. Check back. You certainly said it.

Eh you quoted me there dude!
    Now who is the crazy one?

So by those rules a bar will primarily sell beer on tap so Im not really causing any harm by sneaking in spiritis as im not affecting their primary revenue so its all gravy eh!

A bar is there to sell alcohol.

Where are you getting this notion that it is only there to sell beer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Er, yes you did:

Oh this gets better and better! :D

Here's a little game for you - click the link that you just posted.

Ok, have you done that? Good.

Now look at the top left of the post where the username is. (In case you don't know the username is the name of the user that has posted the message).

Now read the username aloud.

What did you say?

Was it RobbieTheRobber?

Ok.

Now say my username aloud.

Did you say AnonoBoy?

Good.

Now say both of them together.

How alike do they sound?

Not very at all.

Perhaps do you think you maybe might need to get your sight tested?

Thanks for playing. ;)

• Advertisement

A bar is there to sell alcohol.

Where are you getting this notion that it is only there to sell beer?

And a cinema is there to sell snacks to you to eat while you watch films in their surrondings i dont see how your not grasping the similarities!

I
    Because you just HAVE to get smashed in pubs, rather than drink at home or go out and not drink so much, and who cares if you're putting jobs at risk and putting the bar at legal liability for your drunk behaviour? Lovely attitude.

I dont want to drink cans at home I want to drink pints on draught in the pub and I don't want to sit at home drinking I like to go out.

I really fail to see how by staying at home and spending 0 euro I would not be putting jobs at risk but by spending some money along with having a bit of my own drink, I am putting jobs at risks. Surely some money is better than no money as far as jobs are concerned.

The level of drunkness does not change much when people bring their own drink the cost does though. Night clubs are not in the habit of refusing people drink regardless of how drunk they are from what I can see.

By the way I would not do this in my local pub or as I said before in any pubs unless near the end of a late bar or in a night club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Falcon Crest

I started doing it in college and continued after I left. Loads of people do it, if they didn't charge crazy prices for drinks in the pub we might not have to.

And a cinema is there to sell snacks to you to eat while you watch films in their surrondings i dont see how your not grasping the similarities!

A cinema is there to show you films in a cinema setting. It also happens to sell snacks and soft-drinks for your refreshment should you want them.

A pub is there to sell you, and allow you to drink, alcohol in a comfortable setting. It also happens to sell food and snacks for your refreshment should you want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

A cinema is there to show you films in a cinema setting. It also happens to sell snacks and soft-drinks for your refreshment should you want them.

Major difference is if a pub stopped selling crisps then it wouldn't be a big deal to their profit. If everyone who went to the cinema didn't buy the overpriced coke and popcorn then there would no longer be cinemas to show the films.

Yes a cinema is where you go to watch a new release on a big screen but the company, UCI, cineworld Vue... do not make much profits on showing the film.

In fact, not buying over priced food in the cinema could be said to be more detremantal to the owner than smuggling in drink to a night club. Because where the night club keeps 100% of your €10 entry the cinema gets feck all of your €10 ticket fee.

NothingMan wrote: »
    Major difference is if a pub stopped selling crisps then it wouldn't be a big deal to their profit. If everyone who went to the cinema didn't buy the overpriced coke and popcorn then there would no longer be cinemas to show the films.

Yes a cinema is where you go to watch a new release on a big screen but the company, UCI, cineworld Vue... do not make much profits on showing the film.

In fact, not buying over priced food in the cinema could be said to be more detremantal to the owner than smuggling in drink to a night club. Because where the night club keeps 100% of your €10 entry the cinema gets feck all of your €10 ticket fee.

So?

Are you attempting to say that because a pub does not reply on crisps for all its profits, it is ok to sneak drink into it?

Is that you moral justification for it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I'm in my 30s and well-off. I started bringing naggins in to pubs occasionally recently. At first my friends laughed, now they're doing it too.

What's my motivation? Quite simply, social justice.

If the only issue here was high prices, it'd be different. I specifically aim at spirits and mixers, I have never brought cans in. Food in restaurants and beer in pubs is very expensive in Ireland, but compared with other Euro capitals like Rome and Paris it's generally only around 10-20% more. This I can handle.

But spirits and mixers are really taking the p-ss. Above all else, they are phenomenally dear. €7 is normal and €6 is considered a "special offer". In the UK, this costs £1.95. That's €2.40 which is nearly a third the cost of here.

Every time I'm charged €7 for this ("don't order it then" - yea, but with rounds, it might not be for me, I might not have a choice), it's like being slapped in the face. I honestly don't understand how anyone tolerates it. If someone is going to f**k me over, I've no choice but to fight back. The rest of you can go along with it but I'm not going to. To be quite frank, I'm annoyed at the number of people here who are criticising the OP - he's totally justified and the rest of you are just contributing to the perception in the pub trade that charging triple the real price is ethical.

My aim here is definitely not to bankrupt the pub. That would be like shooting myself in the foot. Instead, I want the pub to cut the price of spirits and mixers, aggressively. This nonsense I've heard about a voluntary "price freeze" is crap - you're freezing the price at a very high level. I don't want the price to freeze, I want it to fall substantially.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

So?

Are you attempting to say that because a pub does not reply on crisps for all its profits, it is ok to sneak drink into it?

Is that you moral justification for it?

:confused: Are you reading my post at all? I am not saying you should bring drink into a pub at all, but bringing your own crisps is more acceptable to the landlord because he's not relying on crisp sales to make a living.

The cinemas are relying on snack sales to make a profit. Not showing movies like you said.

My point, if you would like to reread my post properly is if a cinema gets very little of your €10 ticket then by bringing in your own food, although not prohibited, is affecting the cinemas profit more than if you bring drink into a NITE CLUB because you're paying them a tenner that's pure profit.

NothingMan wrote: »
    :confused: Are you reading my post at all? I am not saying you should bring drink into a pub at all, but bringing your own crisps is more acceptable to the landlord because he's not relying on crisp sales to make a living.

The cinemas are relying on snack sales to make a profit. Not showing movies like you said.

My point, if you would like to reread my post properly is if a cinema gets very little of your €10 ticket then by bringing in your own food, although not prohibited, is affecting the cinemas profit more than if you bring drink into a NITE CLUB because you're paying them a tenner that's pure profit.

Sorry.

So you are morally justified on sneaking booze into a niteclub because you have to pay in?

Am I correct in saying that is the gist of what you are saying?

Sorry.

So you are morally justified on sneaking booze into a niteclub because you have to pay in?

Am I correct in saying that is the gist of what you are saying?

What has this got to do with morals!

Have you ever in your life made a choice whereby you get something significantly cheaper to you than it should have cost, knowing full wel a mistake was being made.
    Have you ever gained at what somene else could percieve as a loss?

• Advertisement

Of course.

I didn't feel the need to somehow make excuses for it and to try and show that it is not a bad thing to do though, which is what people seem to being doing in this thread.

By trying to justify it, you are trying to morally justify it. If it is ok to bring food into a cinema, which you are allowed to do, it is therefore ok to bring drink into a pub (which you are not allowed to).

Since you pay money into a nightclub, which is seemingly all profit, then it is ok to bring drink in because the nightclub does not reply exclusively on drink being sold.

To me, they sound like people trying to justify their actions.

Name one cinema which has signs which prohibit you from bringing food into the screen?

No cinema has it. Maybe 10 years ago so your comparison is null and void.

Robbie says time for a retraction

http://www.cineworld.ie/faq
    Can I bring in my own food and drink?
    Cineworld have a strict NO FOOD AND DRINK policy. We reserve the right to refuse customers entry into the screens with food or drink bought outside the premises. All our cinemas display the necessary signage, advising customers of this policy.

As a food operator we offer a wide range of drinks and snacks to satisfy our customers but also protect our cinema finishes and customers clothing. Not all movie-goers are considerate of others in their snack choices and we have needed to set clearer guidelines on what is appropriate.

That was the first result when i searched cinema food dublin on google.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-ie%3AIE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7ADBF&q=cinema+dublin+no+food&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Now back to morals, is a person morally bankrupt if they bring food to a cinema?:D

By trying to justify it, you are trying to morally justify it. If it is ok to bring food into a cinema, which you are allowed to do, it is therefore ok to bring drink into a pub (which you are not allowed to).

See my previous post, if you really want me to prove it i can ring all the cinemas in dublin and ask them can i bring in food and can they email the answer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

alwaysadub wrote: »
    I don't do it, but i can understand why people do,specially with the price of drink in big cities.

I prefere to have a few drinks in the house before hand and head out late-it's the done thing to do where i live. .

How much is a pint of lager in Dublin these days? Generally? I'm not talking about in the bloody Four Seasons lounge or the Westbury. Just in a run-of-the-mill Dublin pub?

I live in Amsterdam but currently work in Dusseldorf.
    In Amstedam, a pint (half-litre) of Amstel or Heineken will set you back 4 to 4.50 in non-touristy pubs.
    In Dusseldorf it's generally about 3 euros for .4 of a litre.

BUT.....in the SUPERMARKETS, this is where it's really affordable. A decent bottle of wine in Amdam will set you back about 5 euros and a 6pack of Heineken will be about 4 Euros. It's cheaper if you buy crates of bottles.

Dusseldorf supermarket prices are lower. Generally 3 Euros for a bottle of drinkable red and about 50 cents for 1/2 litre bottles of Bitburger Pils or Warsteiner.

I'm curious what booze costs in Aldi or Lidl in Ireland because in the Lidl in Amsterdam you really can get wasted out of your head on a fiver which would buy you 15 half-litre cans of beer.

Paris by comparison is the pits. Cheapest pint I found was 7 Euros and in one rather classy courtyard joint a pint for me and a red wine for my woman set me back THIRTY Euros. Thieving bastards.

Anyway to get back to the point, I've smuggled booze into the pub in my college days. It was easy in the Buttery in Trinity since the place has loads of fairly well hidden places to sit, the booths have (or at least had) high panelling and also the lighting was dim and seedy. It was easy to have a bag of cans and just top up your pint. But I never tried in Bruxelles or O'Neills....didn't really want to get barred. So to answer the question...it IS wrong and it IS a bit sneaky since the bar owner has staff to pay, heating and lighting bills, insurance for event of fire, etc. and this all has to be paid for from the profit he makes from the sale of booze. Having said that, I've done it so I can't lecture. I don't do it anymore because I can afford the prices in European bars and also I have a nice roof terrace so I always have a fridge full of frosty lager, chablis and prosecco for getting slowly drunk before I head to the pub for the match. I can usually stretch 3 pints over the 90 minutes, one more for the post-mortem, and then I bog off home and try to get on the girlfriend who usually punches me in the throat. So then I just have another tinny :)

See my previous post, if you really want me to prove it i can ring all the cinemas in dublin and ask them can i bring in food and can they email the answer!

Fair enough.

I regularly go there and have never been stopped, nor seen any signs.

About 90% of people who go there seem to bring their own food with them as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Are you still worried I'm on drugs Cavehill or have you legged it off to Specsavers already?

Fair enough.

I regularly go there and have never been stopped, nor seen any signs.

About 90% of people who go there seem to bring their own food with them as well.

I dont care whether people bring or dont bring booze to the pubs.

I also know if i buy a beer at a bar and the barman gives me the wrong change I will in maybe as high as 95% maybe even a higher percentage of those times will keep the extra money.
    I also think most people would copy me in doing so, with the obvious exclusion of local bar but no one is suggesting bringing booze to their local pub either!

I just dont understand either side trying to moralise this for good or bad because i see it as neither!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I just dont understand either side trying to moralise this for good or bad because i see it as neither!

This is the internet - you've got to come down firmly on one side or the other. Middle ground and grey areas are for real life. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Are you allowed to bring food into the cinema? I can't see why you wouldn't be allowed but you can't bring food into many places like the library or the museum because it's messy and attracts vermin.
    In the cinema they just want to rip you off with their overpriced popcorn but the library is different completely.

Personally I think the licensing laws in Ireland need to be completely re-examined. All this tax is bollocks. If booze was 50 cents a pint people wouldn't drink any more than they do when it's 5 quid. They would still drink till they dropped (like now) they would just not be broke at the end of the night.

• Advertisement

This is the internet - you've got to come down firmly on one side or the other. Middle ground and grey areas are for real life. :)

Well Im a bit of a net maverick then dude, because im sitting on the ip fence on this one!

Advertisement