Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gaslight Anthem

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Doors 7PM
    The Sharks 7.30PM
    Chuck Ragan 8.20PM
    The Gaslight Anthem 9.20PM
    *Times subject to change
    Spirit Of Jazz
    Boxer
    Boomboxes and Dictionaires
    The Diamond Street Choir
    Old Haunts
    Old White Lincoln
    Even Cowgirls Get The Blues
    We Came To Dance
    Senor And The Queen
    Meet Me By The Rivers Edge
    Great Expectations
    Bring It On
    Casanova, Baby!
    Blue Jeans And White T Shirts
    The Queen Of Lower Chelsea
    Once Upon A Time
    The '59 Sound

Red At Night
    Goodnight Irene
    American Slang
    Stay Lucky
    The Navesink Banks
    Miles Davis And The Cool
    Here's Looking At You, Kid
    Backseat
    Set list from Leeds
    Cant wait for it because its the day after my friends 21st so hopefully not too hungover :)

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭big_show

Setlist looks savage, They really are pushing for a massive show. Can't wait now!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Finally managed to get a ticket for this today.

Looks like it's gonna be epic. They really put in 110%. Shockingly good playlist above.

Hope to hear the obvious ones like The 59 Sound, Here's Looking at You Kid, American Slang and Casanova Baby but would also love to hear the less played songs like Drive, Red at Night, I coulda been a contender.

Brian has started to play the harmonica a lot now for the likes of She Loves You and Old White Lincoln.

Here something from two nights ago to look forward to

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Finally managed to get a ticket for this today.

Looks like it's gonna be epic. They really put in 110%. Shockingly good playlist above.

Hope to hear the obvious ones like The 59 Sound, Here's Looking at You Kid, American Slang and Casanova Baby but would also love to hear the less played songs like Drive, Red at Night, I coulda been a contender.

Brian has started to play the harmonica a lot now for the likes of She Loves You and Old White Lincoln.

Here something from two nights ago to look forward to
    I have a funny feeling we'll hear red at night. would love wooderson and wherefore art thou. Looking at that video reminds me of an amazing moment at hammersmith. when it came to the "even if thats a lie" the whole crowd just broke out laughing and the band had this absolute **** eating grins on there faces. I think that's when they realised they've actually become big in their own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yeah I reckon red at night will be played.

Can't see the setlist (damn phone) but from some I have seen Sink or Swim seems to be pretty much ignored which is a shame...would Love to hear I'd a called you Woody Joe, I coulda been a contender, Boomboxes and Dictionaries and We're getting a divorce.

Good thing is that they vary the setlist up a bit so hopefully between here and Belfast I will get to hear a few....can't wait.

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Yeah I reckon red at night will be played.

Can't see the setlist (damn phone) but from some I have seen Sink or Swim seems to be pretty much ignored which is a shame...would Love to hear I'd a called you Woody Joe, I coulda been a contender, Boomboxes and Dictionaries and We're getting a divorce.

Good thing is that they vary the setlist up a bit so hopefully between here and Belfast I will get to hear a few....can't wait.

Sink or Swim wasn't represented to bad with that setlist with 5 songs. Could be better I know, Id love to hear the songs ya listed and Drive.

It's their second last gig of the tour so should be a good one.

I seen Brian play a bit of an Irish classic in The Backseat recently. Would be surprised if he didn't play it tomorrow night. The song was
    Where the Streets Have No Name

Cant wait for this

Steady Now, Steady Now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

i cant wait for this - hope its as good as i know it can be.

they've been getting savage reviews thus far - lets hope they keep it up

Same and im glad i have no hangover after my friends 21st last night , so gonna rest my bones till later now cause its gonna get crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

got a ticket for this today. are they any good live ? only know a few of their tunes.

got a ticket for this today. are they any good live ? only know a few of their tunes.

I havent seen them myself but all reports ive heard is HELLS YEA ha. They really go out when playing live which is good to see

• Advertisement

Wow what a gig easily the best €25 i have spent. These guys give it there all and you can see that the band enjoy what there doing and the crowd loved it.

Loved when people getting singing "Aint supposed to die on a Saturday night" during the encore

Sound awesome, Setlist awesome, Band awesome, Random people awesome. i need sleep. not a knock on the awesome hammersmith show but we were louder. cannot wait for belfast tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Fantastic gig alright! We met Brian before the gig and were talking to him for a good bit - really sound, down to earth guy! Got my 12" vinyls of The '59 Sound and American Slang signed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭mark182

Fantastic gig alright! We met Brian before the gig and were talking to him for a good bit - really sound, down to earth guy! Got my 12" vinyls of The '59 Sound and American Slang signed. :D
    Literally the same for me, Really really nice guy, I got Alex's guitar pick after too

Chuck and brians new song.

hynesie08 wrote: »

are you by any chance the guy who compared the SHARKS to a s**t Arctic Monkeys?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Absolutely savage gig. Haven't been that excited leading up to a gig in years and it did not disappoint. Voice is shot to sh!t this morning.

Kinda got the feeling a lot of the crowd (teeny boppers) didn't know a lot of the songs...made no difference to me though :) although in saying that, the volume levels did gradually raise as the set progressed

Just a deadly gig!

mark182 wrote: »
    are you by any chance the guy who compared the SHARKS to a s**t Arctic Monkeys?

That was me. i realise now my comments were unfair to arctic monkeys,at least they have 2 decent songs. And who the **** covers a song by the band they're opening for. Urge to kill rising.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

That was me. i realise now my comments were unfair to arctic monkeys,at least they have 2 decent songs. And who the **** covers a song by the band they're opening for. Urge to kill rising.....

Oh jaysus, they were bad! Felt so awkward when they started doing the 59 sound...

The rest of the show was unreal though, and that Chuck was great!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

I thought they worked it in very well, and it's not like they covered it. It was a snippet of a song during the breakdown of one of their own tracks.
    It's the exact kinda thing Gaslight did back in the day and still do (although not with bands they tour with/support anymore)

To be honest I was slightly disappointed in the show. sharks and Chuck were great, but Gaslight came out and flew through their set, there was zero crowd interaction, or interludes of chat.

the Boys are back in town and Brown Eyed Girls were probably my favourite bit of their whole set...

• Advertisement

To be honest I was slightly disappointed in the show. sharks and Chuck were great, but Gaslight came out and flew through their set, there was zero crowd interaction, or interludes of chat.

the Boys are back in town and Brown Eyed Girls were probably my favourite bit of their whole set...

i recognize this post from DimestoreSaints ;)

EPIC:)

Clas gig last night!!! The energy off Brian and the band was amazing.

Was kinda disappointed they left out Casanova Baby and I coulda been a contender but made up for it by playing 3 out of the 4 songs from Senor and The Queen EP which are rarely played live and also Wooderson and as expected the U2 snippet in The Backseat.

I loved how it was so chilled out for the likes of Blue Jeans and White T Shirts and then crazy for Great Expectations.

Also loved the crowd singing "Aint supposed to die on a Saturday night" as the other posters said.

To the guys who got to meet Brian, that must have been awesome. He seems like an absolute gentleman.

Id say tonight will be serious as it's the last gig of the tour. Enjoy it whoevers lucky enough to be going

Cant wait to see them again

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

I must have been at a different gig to everyone. Was so looking forward to it but ended up quite disappointed. Some great moments alright (Great Expectations, 59 Sound, American Slang, Old White Lincoln and the Leadbelly encore song with some of the support act). But overall thought the sound was crap, vocals very low in the mix and after a bit every song sounded the same - high tempo punky rock (and I know they don't sound the same on cd)
    To be honest if this had been a festival I would have left after half an hour to check out someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

EPIC:)

Clas gig last night!!! The energy off Brian and the band was amazing.

Was kinda disappointed they left out Casanova Baby and I coulda been a contender but made up for it by playing 3 out of the 4 songs from Senor and The Queen EP which are rarely played live and also Wooderson and as expected the U2 snippet in The Backseat.

I loved how it was so chilled out for the likes of Blue Jeans and White T Shirts and then crazy for Great Expectations.

Also loved the crowd singing "Aint supposed to die on a Saturday night" as the other posters said.

To the guys who got to meet Brian, that must have been awesome. He seems like an absolute gentleman.

Id say tonight will be serious as it's the last gig of the tour. Enjoy it whoevers lucky enough to be going

Cant wait to see them again

I thought the crowd took away from the gig TBH, seemed to be full of people who were just there to check the band out rather than actual fans. Belfast last night was a better night, much more crowd interaction and you could tell they were having a good time/ relieved to be finished. And the crowd were really up for it. It was a shorter set though, but they varied it up and threw in a few songs they didn't play down here.

I thought the crowd took away from the gig TBH, seemed to be full of people who were just there to check the band out rather than actual fans. Belfast last night was a better night, much more crowd interaction and you could tell they were having a good time/ relieved to be finished. And the crowd were really up for it. It was a shorter set though, but they varied it up and threw in a few songs they didn't play down here.

Yeah i think dublin was a better show but christ those belfast fans were crazy. Maybe i'm mistaken but i coulda sworn i saw someone do a balcony dive!! Anyway great weekend, Amazing band and apparently chuck brian and frank turner will be touring together next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Anyway great weekend, Amazing band and apparently chuck brian and frank turner will be touring together next year.

No way!? That would be an incredible show. I did hear that Chuck and Brian were working on an album together but hadnt heard they could bring Frank on tour too.

Dinner wrote: »
    No way!? That would be an incredible show. I did hear that Chuck and Brian were working on an album together but hadnt heard they could bring Frank on tour too.

yep, brian said at one of the shows that he's joining the revival tour next year and the website has a photo of frank and chuck playing together. I've heard november of next year but chuck said see you next summer. of course all of that is just speculation at this point.

Ah I taught the crowd were decent enough. There was a few people right up front who were well up for it. Ya your probably right tho there was a few people there who were just checking out the lads, but sure ya will get that at every gig. From what you said and from reading DimestoreSaints (Great post by Hynsie on it) it seems like Belfast was a better atmosphere.

I was pleased with the setlist in Dublin Would loved to have heard a few other favourites and the cover of American Girl which looks great on Youtube but hearing 3 of the songs from the EP made up for that.

Anyways best €25 ever spent on a gig. Such good value to see one of the best bands around at the moment.

I see they're playing Japan in March 2011, I'll hopefully be living in Korean then. Am very tempted to head over to it.

Great wrap up picture from the tour from Dimestore Saints
    2010FallTourEd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Aodhan_

was it just me or was there two maybe one bottle thrown on stage during gaslights performance??

• Advertisement

Aodhan_ wrote: »
    was it just me or was there two maybe one bottle thrown on stage during gaslights performance??

If your talking about dublin then it wasn't a bottle. It was a little figurine/keyring thingy, alex r picked it up and it was on his amp the next night. If ya meamn belfast i didn't see anything.
    reading DimestoreSaints (Great post by Hynsie on it) it seems like Belfast was a better atmosphere.
    Cheers. It started out as a 4 line reply but my net conked out when posting so it became the essay it turned into

I think overall this was not the worst but the least amazing of the shows i saw this tour. I still think sharks are terrible but the bouncing souls cover with the alex's and chuck was fun. Chuck was his usual awesome self but between the sound being off and the high ceiling in the place his voice got swallowed up a bit.

Gaslight were amazing as usual but you could sense that a five week tour with like four days off had caught up to them. The setlist was almost identical to dublin but whereas there was more crowd interaction here they actually did'nt play for as long (they finished at 10.52 which was awesome for me as i got the 11 o clock bus instead of having to wait till 1). The band were definitely in a more playful mood than the night before, brian got a piggyback ride, Played a solo through alex l's legs and at one point lay on his stomach at the edge of the stage chatting to the girls at the barrier.

The belfast crowd were'nt as loud as dublin but jesus are those guys crazy!!!!! During Backseats i think one guy dove out of the balcony. I just saw a body in midair and did'nt know if it was going up or down. The only negative was that i stayed about 20 feet back from the barrier and thes 4/5 drunk idiots were trying to push up and when they realised they weren't getting forward any further tried to stop people dancing!! Then when brian was telling a story the yelling started "just play the ****ing songs" "we did'nt pay to hear you talk" And my personal favourite "just play the 69 sound so we can go.

This turned out to be a much longer post than i imagined so i might as well add to it. I was lucky enough to see my favourite band 3 times in 32 days. I had the privelage to talk with Brian about songwriting, Benny about limp bizkit and thanksgiving, Alex r about baileys And Alex l about sweden and johnny cash, I got a poster signed by all 4 of them that will have pride of place on my wall for the forseeable future. Whatever way this band goes, Be it becoming the biggest band in the world or breaking up next week, I will never forget the memories i've acquired over the last month.
    This was it if anyone cares

Advertisement