Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gaslight Anthem

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

hynesie08 wrote: »
    If your talking about dublin then it wasn't a bottle. It was a little figurine/keyring thingy, alex r picked it up and it was on his amp the next night. If ya meamn belfast i didn't see anything.

Cheers. It started out as a 4 line reply but my net conked out when posting so it became the essay it turned into

This was it if anyone cares

Clas man,

Your so lucky to have met Brian and the boys. Id love to get to chat to them and get a picture with them. There is some amount of photos on the facebook page of Brian posing with fans. He looks so happy in them and seems like the type of really approachable guy who has no problem with fans chatting to him.

It seems they have such a big following but a lot of people don't know about them. I don't know would I rather them stay this big and have real genuine fans at small venues or become massive and start headlining the likes of Oxegen.

Oh American Slang was featured on the Apprentice Your Fired last night on TV3 and we all know when your music is being played on The Apprentice you've made it:D

Stay Hungry, Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Brian is a nice guy but because he's the singer he gets all the attention it's next to impossible to get a proper conversation with him. Benny the drummer however is one of the soundest lads i've ever had the honour of meeting, he'll talk to ya about drumming, nfl, hockey or anything that pops into your head. Alex L is a pretty nice guy as well. Didn't get much time to talk to Alex R but he seemed decent although he was clearly exausted.

(BTW i know i come off like a 14yo girl but
    1. I adore this band
    2. It is a gaslight thread
    3. **** you)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Ah I taught the crowd were decent enough. There was a few people right up front who were well up for it. Ya your probably right tho there was a few people there who were just checking out the lads, but sure ya will get that at every gig. From what you said and from reading DimestoreSaints (Great post by Hynsie on it) it seems like Belfast was a better atmosphere.

I was pleased with the setlist in Dublin Would loved to have heard a few other favourites and the cover of American Girl which looks great on Youtube but hearing 3 of the songs from the EP made up for that.

Anyways best €25 ever spent on a gig. Such good value to see one of the best bands around at the moment.

I see they're playing Japan in March 2011, I'll hopefully be living in Korean then. Am very tempted to head over to it.

Great wrap up picture from the tour from Dimestore Saints
    2010FallTourEd.jpg

Yeah there was a genuine circle of fans who were into it throughout the gig and I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more if I had been up in there but where I was the crowd only came to life for the 59 sound. The gig just reminded me of a festival gig with genuine fans scattered throughout and others just there to watch. For me a really good gig is made up of a good peformance and a good crowd and Dublin only had the good performance bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭briancarr82

Was at the gig in Dublin on sunday night, just to be there in the presence was one of the best experiences of my life. Their songs are inspirational, and the pearl jam cover thrown in was pretty sweet!!!

Anyone who was at the gig will be aware that there was a lot of people wearing the flat caps that Brian Fallon wears, in fact nearly all the gaslight crew were wearing them and Chuck aswell. Ive been trying to find decent ones like brian wears, anyone got any ideas where i might pick a couple of these up online?

Can't wait to see them again, if Brian and Chuck tour next year count me in!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

Was at the gig in Dublin on sunday night, just to be there in the presence was one of the best experiences of my life. Their songs are inspirational, and the pearl jam cover thrown in was pretty sweet!!!

Anyone who was at the gig will be aware that there was a lot of people wearing the flat caps that Brian Fallon wears, in fact nearly all the gaslight crew were wearing them and Chuck aswell. Ive been trying to find decent ones like brian wears, anyone got any ideas where i might pick a couple of these up online?

Can't wait to see them again, if Brian and Chuck tour next year count me in!!!!!

pearl jam cover ??????
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Kiss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

Fantastic gig! Second time seeing them and there is always a great atmosphere at their shows. Even in the upper circle, where we were, people were getting really into it. Chuck Ragan was great aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

Really enjoyed the gig the other night, first time seeing them after I partied a bit too much on the Friday night at Oxegen a few years back!! :D

Was worth the wait though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Aodhan_

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Brian is a nice guy but because he's the singer he gets all the attention it's next to impossible to get a proper conversation with him. Benny the drummer however is one of the soundest lads i've ever had the honour of meeting, he'll talk to ya about drumming, nfl, hockey or anything that pops into your head. Alex L is a pretty nice guy as well. Didn't get much time to talk to Alex R but he seemed decent although he was clearly exausted.

(BTW i know i come off like a 14yo girl but
    1. I adore this band
    2. It is a gaslight thread
    3. **** you)

i got to talk to alex r for about 5 mins wen i was in the Q for my coat and he is sound as a pound. gave my mate his pick . came down from packin his guitar and amp away etc and gave us a picture . sound guy

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

24cw741.jpg

33yrerr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

The one he wears in the 59 sound video was made by a company in Donegal. I'll get the exact name later, but I'm sure ya can Googl.e it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Robotito

Bumping a very old thread...
    Really looking forward to seeing them again on Monday night in Vicar St. Didn't think we'd see them again so soon, considering Brian's solo album earlier in the year and the feeling that 'Get Hurt' was like a full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

Robotito wrote: »
    Bumping a very old thread...
    Really looking forward to seeing them again on Monday night in Vicar St. Didn't think we'd see them again so soon, considering Brian's solo album earlier in the year and the feeling that 'Get Hurt' was like a full stop.

Yeah me too.

I was looking at the setlists on Setlist.fm. Obviously, its the 59 sound tour but was interested to see that of the non-59 sound albums, there wasn't many from Get Hurt at all.

I'd rank the albums:
    1 - 59 Sound
    2 - Sink or Swin
    3 - American Slang
    4 - Handwritten
    5 - Get Hurt

I just think Get Hurt was a bit of a letdown for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Robotito

Although I bought 'The '59 Sound' upon release for some reason it didn't fully click with me at the time. I also got 'American Slang' when it came out and liked it but, because of what it soundtracked in my life in the summer of 2013, 'Handwritten' became one of my all time favourite albums.
    Since then 'The '59 Sound' has risen to be an all time favourite also. I'd rate their albums as follows:

1.Handwritten
    2.59 Sound
    3.American Slang
    4.Sink or Swim
    5.Get Hurt

-Incidentally, I heard/read at the time that some of the songs on 'Get Hurt' were due to be part of BF's first solo album but due to persuasion from the rest of the band he agreed to make a, possibly last, GA album out of them. I dunno if that's true though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The first 4 albums will always bounce around in order for me, I'll never be able to pick a favorite, but 59 sound came along at a time when I was a bit lost, and opened me up to loving music again, as well as gaslight introducing me to Frank Turner, Dave Hause, Chuck Ragan and forcing me to jump down the Springsteen rabbit hole.......

Get hurt is a bit of a sad case, there are songs on there that are clearly a bf solo project, and the experimentation gets a bit wanky at times, and I doubt they'll ever play deep cuts from it again, but if the band continues, it could wind up being more important than 59 sound.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

Yeah maybe he wanted to go solo at that point. Apparently he's been through a lot of personal stuff.

I've seen them a few times, my favorite one was the first time in the academy on the 59 sound tour. They played a lot of Sink and Swim so I've grown really fond of it because of that.

Love this as well:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QDJi91V70M&start_radio=1&list=RD9QDJi91V70M

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Seeing them on Monday again, should be great. He is solo next feb in Dublin too, have tickets for that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Any stage times yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Real Madra

blastman wrote: »
    Any stage times yet?

I checked earlier and couldn't find anything. The doors only open at 8 though so it'll be 9 at the earliest I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Still don't see any times up. With two supports (I think) and an 8pm door, this could be very late for a Monday night!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

curfew is 11pm, so it won't be any later than that.
    wouldn't be surprised if doors open at 7:30pm, with Matthew Ryan on at 7:45pm, Dave Haus on at 8:30, and TGA at 9:15, or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭villa2008

Just posted on aikens twitter

RUNNING TIMES:

7PM DOORS
    7:30PM MATTHEW RYAN
    8:10PM DAVE HAUSE
    9:15PM THE GASLIGHT ANTHEM

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Saw them on Friday, came on bang on 21:15. Savage gig. Although it’s clear as day how much better the old material is than the later stuff, some song choices were a bit questionable

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭GuitarTown

Two free pdf tickets on the off chance anyone still needs very last minute ones. Raging I can't go

Advertisement