Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Loans?

Options
  • 29-06-2010 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Hi there got a question about student loans and the different expericences had with the banks who gave them.

I applied for a masters in Classics and was excepted its a 500 euro deposit which I can just about manage but as for the other 5000 owed to attend the course I'm unfortuantly going to have to take out a loan.

I've looked at various banking websites for deals on student loans but they seem to be very limited. I was ideally looking for one where you don't have to make repayments for the year as I'll only be working one or two evenings and week and would rather not have to worry about making repayments from the get go. The best offer I can seem to find is a 3 month break from repayments with AIB.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice with regards to the best value loans out there and your experiences with the banks who gave the loan.

Thanks a mill

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭uppishhauk

if you get an interview with the loan manager of the bank and inquire about it
    thats what i did and got a 4,000 loan with it put off for a year but the option to extend this for a max of 5 years plus if i paid off the loan within the first year there would be no interest at all
    now this was in sept 2008 when it was easier to get a loan but you could still try

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Credit Union perhaps ? They give out money to anyone.......

Or you could go to the bank your parents are with and they could co-sign..

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

Credit Union perhaps ? They give out money to anyone.......

Or you could go to the bank your parents are with and they could co-sign..

Apparently they don't give out student loans and the amount that they can give you is based on the money you have in your account it's like 4/5 times what you have saved. I'm applying to AIB and BOI and see who's willing to give me the best offer. Wish me luck!

Also thanks for the feed back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

Heard it is very difficult to get even small loans from credit unions , banks etc.No money to give out.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I got a 3 grand loan from BOI last year, don't start making repayments till October. I've 3 years to pay it back so hopefully that's managable. I'm also starting a PhD in September so that'll make things even more interesting. If you're not borrowing more than 5 grand you're alright. I know people that are in massive debt over doing postgrad courses etc... and trust me you can be a lot worse off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

El Siglo wrote: »
    I got a 3 grand loan from BOI last year, don't start making repayments till October. I've 3 years to pay it back so hopefully that's managable. I'm also starting a PhD in September so that'll make things even more interesting. If you're not borrowing more than 5 grand you're alright. I know people that are in massive debt over doing postgrad courses etc... and trust me you can be a lot worse off.

Cheers for the fedback. Yeah that's what I was hoping would go in my favour the fact I'm not already in a **** load of debt. I've to drop in the application forms over the next few days so fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Souless wrote: »
    Cheers for the fedback. Yeah that's what I was hoping would go in my favour the fact I'm not already in a **** load of debt. I've to drop in the application forms over the next few days so fingers crossed!

Good luck with it.

Advertisement