Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bicycle Speedometer

• 29-06-2010 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Doing a Galway-Dublin 216km cycle Saturday week. Was hoping to get a speedometer to help in the training process.

Do people on boards use speedometers? I never see cyclists with them??

Any ideas on where to get a good one?? Argos?

Cheers,
    Bobby

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

You didnt mention a budget. I have a BBB 9 function wireless one - most bike shops stock BBB and they do the job (€40 or so). Cateye is also recommended for cheap and cheerful speedo.

Id go with wireless personally, but you can get wired ones from €10 up ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Get something like this Cateye, only €15. Nice and simple and Cateye are a reliable make.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭RobBaxter

damoz wrote: »
    You didnt mention a budget. I have a BBB 9 function wireless one - most bike shops stock BBB and they do the job (€40 or so). Cateye is also recommended for cheap and cheerful speedo.

Id go with wireless personally, but you can get wired ones from €10 up ...

Thanks for the replies guys.

I didn't really think about a budget. €40 is a lot but it's a long term investment I suppose and it will help me train. Anything that makes you cycle more is a good buy I suppose...

BBB are a good reliable brand then?

Get something like this Cateye, only €15. Nice and simple and Cateye are a reliable make.

Is this Cateye one wireless? It doesn't say in the advert if it is or not?

Any ideas on where to buy from guys?

I live near UCD and want it as soon as possible. Any idea what time bike stores nearby close at? best place to get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

RobBaxter wrote: »
    Doing a Galway-Dublin 216km cycle Saturday week. Was hoping to get a speedometer to help in the training process

You're not going really to get any fitter in 11 days, unless you're starting from absolutely nothing.
    RobBaxter wrote: »
    €40 is a lot but it's a long term investment I suppose and it will help me train. Anything that makes you cycle more is a good buy I suppose...

I'm not sure a speedometer makes for an effective training aid. Wind conditions are too variable to make it a good indictor of effort, and you're more likely to be demotivated on the days when you can't keep up the pace.

Most people who train in a structured way would use perceived effort (free), an HR monitor (pricey) or a powermeter (very very pricey).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i have lidl and aldi speedos (cheaper to buy new than replace batteries) they are good for logging distance but thats it, if you want a heart rate monitor lidl and aldi ones are a good place to start and can be picked up for 20 quid or so.
    mind you i'm just replaced mine with a gps based one for £150 garmin edge 500 :D

but as lumen says 2 weeks to go is a bit late to worry about training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

A few hard rides between now and then will do you the power of good. It may also help toughen up your skin in contact areas. 216kms could get painful if you're not used to it. Is it all in one go or split over a couple of days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I have a Topeak 130 and it does the job fine. Cost less than €20 if I remember correctly. Something to switch the wind off would be more useful though. :D

Doing the cycle in 1 day. Going to leave early enough. 216km should be tough. My current max is only 50km but I should be fit enough for it..

Actually, does anyone know what forum I should post in to ask for nutrician advice for the day??

Advertisement