Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raised beds for vegetable gardening

Options
  • 29-06-2010 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

Hi all, a quick question....
    Im just wondering where I can get some raised beds for vegetable gardening, delivered and installed for an elderly relative in the Dublin area.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Hi all, a quick question....
    Im just wondering where I can get some raised beds for vegetable gardening, delivered and installed for an elderly relative in the Dublin area.

Many thanks.

I bought some soil from these guys. But you can buy a Veg Trug in most garden centres which would probably suit an elderly person better as its up off the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Oystershell

Northwest,
    I used these guys and they were excellent.They can make custom raised beds to your design and to top it all off they even install with soil. I think they go anywhere in the country. You do any growing yourself ??:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

OP before deciding on what Raised Bed you require it would be worth considering what crop you (relative) are planning to grow? This is important as to what capacity and therefore size and type of Raised Bed reqs.

There is a wide range of Raised Beds styles available ranging from light boards, scaffolding boards to more robust construction like Blockwork/stone.

Important to do some research as you should be looking for a solution that meets your needs rather than an expensive off the shelf solution.

For a relatively inexpensive timber solution, I would recommend you consider pressure treated Pine sleepers (standard lengths 2400mm x 225mm x100mm).

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

Came across these lads recently.
    They do raised beds to order, deliver etc.

For an elderly relative they also do easy access beds for those with limited mobility

http://www.patchworkveg.com/

Irish company, so I'd go for these lads before I'd get prefabs from a garden centre, they are based in Celbridge

Also good to see someone who started up a new company due to the recession.

They have a clip on youtube about the company
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT1G36oLqUs&feature=player_embedded#!

Let us know how you get on anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

simonj wrote: »
    Came across these lads recently.
    They do raised beds to order, deliver etc.

For an elderly relative they also do easy access beds for those with limited mobility

http://www.patchworkveg.com/

Irish company, so I'd go for these lads before I'd get prefabs from a garden centre, they are based in Celbridge

Also good to see someone who started up a new company due to the recession.

They have a clip on youtube about the company
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT1G36oLqUs&feature=player_embedded#!

Let us know how you get on anyway

cheers, I went with patchwork veg, they done me a v good deal and had 2 raised beds delivered and assembled to the relatives house 2 days later, the main guy Sean, gave loads of advice on best planting and growing techniques. I said I would give them mention on here, I would highly recommend Patchwork Veg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

Cool, thats good news. One thing I will say about beds is go with kohlrabi over turnip, its a question of space, and thinning is a b*stard.

Glad it worked out, and its good to see positive feedback, it was the video that got me.
    Dude just got on with something new, hope he does well

I hope your relative gets years and years of joy out of it

Advertisement