Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are UPC lying or they are uninformed?

• 29-06-2010 12:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭

I moved to Shannon from Limerick last week.
    Everything is perfect here except broadband availability.

Imagine Wimax website tells me Im in wimax coverage, so I call to order it and they tell me Im not in covered area.

UPC website tells me I can get only TV services, but my wireless network card discover few wireless networks like Chorus 01, Chorus 40 etc.

Why UPC telling me i cant get it if somebody have it already in the same buildings complex as i live?

Maybe some of you can help me find any ISP who offer no data cap or large data cap broadband?

I live in Ballycasey Crescent.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭wolfi

Hi Wolfi

i can give you a 30g plus package for less than €27 per month

Thanks, but large data cap for me is more like 300g, not 30g.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Actually RING UPC, several times. The higher package has 240G, the ordinary package has 120G.

Nobody has no Cap.

watty wrote: »
    Actually RING UPC, several times. The higher package has 240G, the ordinary package has 120G.

Nobody has no Cap.

240G is ok for me.

Problem is UPC telling me i cant get UPC broadband, but I know my neighbours have it in the same building complex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

I'd to ring UPC at least 3 times to get broadband they kept telling me not in your area even though I could see at least 3 wireless networks with UPC in the ssid.

I spoke to one of my neighbours and got their account no and quoted it on the final call seemingly my address had 3 different spellings and the incorrect two had broadband while the correct one didn't!

My address have only one spelling.
    I realy don't want to walk arount neighbours and ask have they got upc, but if i got no other optiont i do that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

wolfi wrote: »
    My address have only one spelling.

Your address has only one real spelling. That's not to say that UPC has this spelling, or what they might have.

Try and do what n0brain3r did, find out who else has UPC in the area, and what the spelling of the address is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,022 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

UPC don't have BB down that direction

Whats happening here is you are seeing wireless networks from ex-UPC connections that still have the UPC network ID in them, thats all

t|nt|n wrote: »

Whats happening here is you are seeing wireless networks from ex-UPC connections that still have the UPC network ID in them, thats all

Thats not true.
    I was in one of this networks(silly wpa password), and isp was upc.

Nonsense.

Loads and loads of UPC broadband in Limerick City and in Apartment blocks.

watty wrote: »
    Nonsense.

Loads and loads of UPC broadband in Limerick City and in Apartment blocks.

Hell yeah...

mapireland.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

UPC often have wrong address data, keep at them.

Wasn't Eamonn Ryan supposed let us have AnPost's "secret" Postcodes that have existed for nearly 10 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭markpb

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    UPC often have wrong address data, keep at them.

Aye. My address is "xx The Crescent, Larch Hill" but my bill from UPC has "xx Larch Hill - The Crescent". It's not a mistake or typo, that's just how they classify my area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Two reasons why neighbours might have UPC broadband and yet UPC won't sell it to you.

1. Your neighbours are just inside the range/wiring for broadband, and so can get a connection. Your house is just outside the range/wiring for broadband.

2. UPC Sales have a habit of selling broadband packages in areas that really can't handle it yet due to old equipment etc. The neighbours might have been signed up, but then the UPC network guys found out and told them to stop. One of the UPC Engineers told me this is a very common occurrence and is the main reason there are so many reported faults, and complaints about UPC.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

and what broadband provider do you believe these ex-UPC customers are using their cable modem with...eircom (who are a DSL provider?

Nonsense, UPC is in the area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

UPC do have BB in Shannon.
    I was looking into moving there myself a while back and checked.

It's also a newly cabled area AFAIK so it wouldn't be an are with old cables more than likely.

If the other UPC SSID's you're seeing are in the same building as you, then it's going to be a mistake on their system.
    Get onto them about it.

They'll correct the system if you can show them the other UPC accounts.

UPC guy calls me today and tell that all services are available for me.
    He start to taking my details and after that he ask "sorry, your apartament is XX ballycasey crescent?, so apologize, but UPC broadband is not available in this area.

WTF?!?

Thats bad joke UPC...

Anyway, I still trying, war is not over ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

UPC HQ is in a dodgy bit of Limerick, go in there and find an engineer with a map and sort it out. In the LEDP Centre Roxborough Road ( old Krups factory) I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Cabaal wrote: »
    and what broadband provider do you believe these ex-UPC customers are using their cable modem with...eircom (who are a DSL provider?

Nonsense, UPC is in the area

I don't doubt UPC are in the area but the suggestion has some weight also UPC modems don't include wireless ap's. When I signed up I think it was a Netgear router with AP they tried to sell me so it is very possible to use it with another BB connection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

UPC guy calls me today and tell that all services are available for me.
    He start to taking my details and after that he ask "sorry, your apartament is XX ballycasey crescent?, so apologize, but UPC broadband is not available in this area.

WTF?!?

Thats bad joke UPC...

Anyway, I still trying, war is not over ;)

Could be that you need to look towards your building managers.
    Might be the case that they've signed an agreement with another provider to keep UPC out.
    The area might be cabled, but UPC may have no permission to provide service.

Seeing as you're from Limerick you might know Mahon House, down by Gleesons Sports on Mulgrave street.
    The whole area is cabled but Mahon House won't allow UPC access as they have an agreement with Sky.

• Advertisement

Could be that you need to look towards your building managers.
    Might be the case that they've signed an agreement with another provider to keep UPC out.
    The area might be cabled, but UPC may have no permission to provide service.

Seeing as you're from Limerick you might know Mahon House, down by Gleesons Sports on Mulgrave street.
    The whole area is cabled but Mahon House won't allow UPC access as they have an agreement with Sky.

Yeah, but UPC TV service is available with my address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Uninformed, incompetent sacks of shit is the most accurate description I can give UPC and their staff.

WWWWWRRRRRRAAAAAAARRRRRRR!!!!

I ask UPC customer servise by email, WTF is going on, and they call me very quickly.
    Some nice guy tells me UPC have plans providing broadband in my area late summer, but now they defenetely cant give me broadband.

OK, I can wait couple months for that.

But one hour ago another guy calls me, said he know I talking with other agent before, ant he tell me broadband is not available, but in fact it is available.

One again today he ask me for my bank details, which services i would like to get and other stuff like that.
    After a while he go back to my address ald tells me he call me back in next few minutes.

Right now "next few minutes" is more than one hour.

Tomorrow I call there, ask for supervisor and ask him for my satisfaction, because of my waste time and their continuing promises without any consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

WWWWWRRRRRRAAAAAAARRRRRRR!!!!

I ask UPC customer servise by email, WTF is going on, and they call me very quickly.
    Some nice guy tells me UPC have plans providing broadband in my area late summer, but now they defenetely cant give me broadband.

OK, I can wait couple months for that.

But one hour ago another guy calls me, said he know I talking with other agent before, ant he tell me broadband is not available, but in fact it is available.

One again today he ask me for my bank details, which services i would like to get and other stuff like that.
    After a while he go back to my address ald tells me he call me back in next few minutes.

Right now "next few minutes" is more than one hour.

Tomorrow I call there, ask for supervisor and ask him for my satisfaction, because of my waste time and their continuing promises without any consideration.

Ask for an official complaint to be filed. They have to do so when asked. You'll then get a call from a more 'senior' person who surprisingly, can actually get you a straight answer.

Another call today, this time guy who calling me tells me i can get tv only.
    I got that feeling, he want to tells me "Want tv? No? so f**k off."

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭versager

Wolfi, buddy, you're not alone in this neverending fight;)
    I live myself in Shannon for over 4 years now. Let me make you familiar with my current situation: I used to live for 2 years in one of the Drumgeely apartments, the really old and nasty ones (as you walk/drive from the Crossroads tavern/the old Shannon town centre up the hill), when Chorus NTL/UPC rolled out the BB next to the existing TV service already in that area, I was actually one of their first customers over there, I believe. Have to admit, for over 1 year their service was great (well small hiccups here and there, nothing to be concerned about at that time though:)). However, I just couldn't live in there for say healthy reasons (permanent wall maulds, some nasty ****e:eek:), so moved out to the recently built Bru na Sionna area. Great locality, nice surroundings, town centre just around the corner, shorter time to get to work, not too expensive etc. I live in one of the blocks for just exactly 1 year now. BUT, nothing's perfect in life, before I changed the address, rang UPC about their BB accessibility, expected it'll be there, sure thing, right? WRONG! After several calls to different UPC agents in different times/days (to be sure to be sure, ya know:cool:) I was told NO for their BB.
    Two things now:
    1) As someone above has stated already. The house management in the apartment has a clear deal with SKY, which is already installed in my area, so the UPC might be out of the game, although their TV service would be available (so they told me:pac:), funny eh?
    2) Bru na Sionna as a recently constructed area doesn't offer the needed cable coverage for UPC's BB.
    These 2 points are solely my personal opinions.

Just my 2 cents, buddy boy.

P.S.: I'm with Smart Telecom now, chose them as the only "kind of" generous data provider as an option (170GB limit for 46euro per month), it's a slower BB service (6mbit), but still reasonable to me.
    P.S. 2: One day, the official UPC website could be right about the full service coverage information, but not at this time as I write this message.

Good luck

Yeah, but UPC TV service is available with my address.

Broadband needs a different kind of Amplifier on the trunk cables past all the houses. Some areas are not upgraded.

Also the end-end feeding the cable needs different stuff to TV needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

I had a problem in Dublin 8, where their system was showing that my house couldn't get broadband, however when you looked up the address online it showed BB was available. And I know next door has UPC BB.

What the problem turned out to be, was that there was an incorrect locator code on the account. So the ordering system thought I was on a different segment of their network. This code rather than the address is what their systems use to see if you can get BB. Their online system happened to be showing details from an old inactive account at the same address.

Customer support was able request that the locator code be checked (and fixed), they then called me back to let me know (it took about two days).

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭versager

Well, looks like I have to correct myself if I stated the UPC website doesn't reflect the real BB availability. I mean, have just gone through their "services address checker" and...unfortunately:( the service to go would be digital TV only. No BB at all. Damned house management's deal with Sky!

Life goes on:P

• Advertisement
Advertisement