Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Job seeker's allowance and changing circumstances

• 29-06-2010 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi, I'm a 22 year old recent graduate (I got my results only a couple of days ago) and am currently jobseeking. I have a part time job that I've had since second year in college and my hours have not technically been reduced, but I only get one or two days a week. I haven't even tried to claim jobseeker's allowance yet because I'm living at home and my parent's have said that they will not give out their financial details so that I may claim it because they feel I probably won't get it anyway based on their financial circumstances.

Anyway, a few of my friends are moving out soon and I'd quite like to move out with them then rather than end up with randomers later once I'm employed, but I can't afford to do it with the part-time work alone. So basically what I want to ask is how exactly does the system work here? Can I claim on the basis that I'm moving out or do I have to be self sufficient for a while first? Or am I not even allowed to claim at all because I've never had full hours?

PS Sorry, if this had been answered already, I could only find answers to similar questions that didn't quite answer my own question, so I thought I'd post a new thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

ihateirony wrote: »
    Hi, I'm a 22 year old recent graduate (I got my results only a couple of days ago) and am currently jobseeking. I have a part time job that I've had since second year in college and my hours have not technically been reduced, but I only get one or two days a week. I haven't even tried to claim jobseeker's allowance yet because I'm living at home and my parent's have said that they will not give out their financial details so that I may claim it because they feel I probably won't get it anyway based on their financial circumstances.

Anyway, a few of my friends are moving out soon and I'd quite like to move out with them then rather than end up with randomers later once I'm employed, but I can't afford to do it with the part-time work alone. So basically what I want to ask is how exactly does the system work here? Can I claim on the basis that I'm moving out or do I have to be self sufficient for a while first? Or am I not even allowed to claim at all because I've never had full hours?

PS Sorry, if this had been answered already, I could only find answers to similar questions that didn't quite answer my own question, so I thought I'd post a new thread.

As you are only working one or two days you should qualify for JSA/JSB for the remainder of the week...you can work as a casual worker ie go to social office and you can get yellow slips that your employer fills in regarding the days your work and dont and the welfare should pay you for the days your not working (not including sunday)
    however as you live at home it may be different from my understanding you need to be self sufficient as if you try claim while living at home they will means test your parents which your parent dont want to do understandably
    Why dont you go down to your local welfare office on one of the days your not working and see if you can make an appointment with someone to have a chat and see if you are entitled to something

Advertisement