Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cleaning the windscreen

• 29-06-2010 12:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭

I’m wondering does anyone know how to get rid of what seems to be a layer of dry water/dirt on my windscreen. I’ve power washed the car, used the mitt and then the cloth afterwards to dry it, but left the windscreen to drive itself. When I spray it the wipers won’t take it of either.

I read not to use normal house glass cleaner.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

normal house glass cleaner is fine, as long as you keep it away from the rubber seals (it smears and causes black streaks)

white vinegar is also good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭jeffk

peasant wrote: »
    normal house glass cleaner is fine, as long as you keep it away from the rubber seals (it smears and causes black streaks)

white vinegar is also good

Grand stuff thanks, ill try the ole house glass cleaner and make sure to keep it away from the seals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I have some Holts "screenies" in the garage. Haven't used them yet but if the internet is to be believed they will "cut through grime". Cheap enough from Halfords for a pack you can stuff in the glovebox or passenger door.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I have some Holts "screenies" in the garage. Haven't used them yet but if the internet is to be believed they will "cut through grime". Cheap enough from Halfords for a pack you can stuff in the glovebox or passenger door.

Ill give the glass cleaner a go and when im beside halfords ill grab em, as you say handy for having in the car, especially when the winter is back and the inside of the windscreen gets manky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Turtle Wax ClearVue glass cleaner is very good.

With a windscreen and all automotive glass, you can't let it dry on its own. Best thing to do is this:

Say you're using the Turtle Wax stuff. Also, an old t-shirt which isn't soft.

> Spray onto the windscreen
    > Immediately wipe with the t-shirt
    > Turn to a dry side and wipe again BEFORE THE RESIDUE DRIES OUT

When the residue dries out it leaves streaks. The reason for using an old rough t-shirt is that it absorbs the liquid a lot better than a newish, soft one. You could also use newspaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Throw a can of Coke over it, it's a fantastic degreaser.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭robdsherlock

wash with a wet microfibre cloth dipped in water and dry with a dry microfibre cloth, does the job for me!
    also tesco's household window cleaner does the job too! just make sure ya dry it off brfore it dry's in

I gave it a go of Germanys best Lidls window cleaner, might have another go tomorrow when it’s not so warm. A bit of it went on the roof and it evaporated straight of ,you'd be surprised how hot the car can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Throw a can of Coke over it, it's a fantastic degreaser.

Best cleaner ever..
    Used it regularly when I was driving many miles for a living.

Advertisement