Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling Eircom Broadband - Letter?

• 29-06-2010 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi just a quick question, I want to cancel my Eircom Broadband and I thought this could be done over the phone but I'm being told that I have to send a letter to the Broadband Cease Office, is this true?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

how long have you had broadband with eircom, ive had it years just rang them and cancelled it nps no mention of any letter and the BB signal is gone off my line, the only thing they said was that there would have been a cancellation fee if id just signed up which i hadnt so he just cancelled it for me

Shin

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Megatron_X wrote: »
    Hi just a quick question, I want to cancel my Eircom Broadband and I thought this could be done over the phone but I'm being told that I have to send a letter to the Broadband Cease Office, is this true?

Who is telling you?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Megatron_X

dub45 wrote: »
    Who is telling you?

The people that I get to when I choose the broadband cancellation option by ringing 1901. I rang 2 different people who both insist that I must send the letter. Right now I'm paying for both UPC and Eircom and Eircom are really taking the mick - I've already had to wait a week for my UAN.

I posted the letter today but I don't think they'll be in any hurry to cancel the broadband even when they receive it!

Edit: She said it was in the T&C's but I can't see it anywhere. I'm in the mood to ring again tomorrow but I'd just be talking rubbish with nothing to work with :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

They are changing parts of the ToS. There was a notice about it in the papers last week, on the 22nd in the independant. The new terms wont take affect for another 3 weeks.

Since they are changing the ToS you can be released from the contract if you contact them before the month is up, say the 16th july to be safe, and give the change of the ToS as the reason.

Also under the new ToS the wont cancel the broadband until a month after they receive the letter. Im sure if you ask they should have an email address you could also send it too.

Baneblade wrote: »
    They are changing parts of the ToS. There was a notice about it in the papers last week, on the 22nd in the independant. The new terms wont take affect for another 3 weeks.

Since they are changing the ToS you can be released from the contract if you contact them before the month is up, say the 16th july to be safe, and give the change of the ToS as the reason.

Also under the new ToS the wont cancel the broadband until a month after they receive the letter. Im sure if you ask they should have an email address you could also send it too.

So if I ring them up saying I'm cancelling because of the change to the ToS they'll cancel me right then and there? Don't want to be paying for 2 broadbands adn 2 phone for a month!

Edit: Sorry about all these questions guys, I'm looking for any info on the changing of the ToS but can't see anything online, anyone know an online source?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

i would assume they would cancel it straight away as the months notice for cancellations is not supposed to have started yet

i cant see anything about it on-line either below is what was in the papers, i think it could have been in the examiner also

2u6cnk2.jpg

Thanks a lot for your help Baneblade! I'm sure they can cancel it over the phone (as they have done for many people) but they probably don't like losing a customer. There is indeed nowhere online talking about a 30 days notice or sending a letter so I'll ring them again later and tell them this. Many thanks for your help and newspaper info!

Edit:
    Crap, I found the 1 month notice and written letter here: http://www.eircom.ie/bveircom/pdf/BBStandardTandCsv2.pdf (point 7.2)

Could I use the upcoming changes in the Broadband T&C's as a loophole? :-/

Just wodnering if anyone thinks it's worthwhile to try and get them to do it over the phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Try to do it over the phone, but send them an email as a written record. I've had huge problems over the years with getting disconnected. UPC took 14 phone calls once. Much easier to simply port a service.

It is standard practise for isps to require a month's notice for cancellation once you have completed your minimum period with them (usually 12 months).

AFAIK the changes to the t&c's relate to the change over to ngb - so that may or may not apply to you.

I think it is always better to cancel by mail anyway (and keep a copy of course).

• Advertisement

In the current T&C's it says I can terminate the service without 1 months notice if the T&C's are changed at all so that should be fine. Does anyone know what address to e-mail? Might just be me but I don't trust just leaving it to letters - they could just take as long as they like!

Try to do it over the phone, but send them an email as a written record. I've had huge problems over the years with getting disconnected. UPC took 14 phone calls once. Much easier to simply port a service.

Yeah I'm trying to port my number to UPC but have to get rid of this broadband first... euch!

Megatron_X wrote: »
    In the current T&C's it says I can terminate the service without 1 months notice if the T&C's are changed at all so that should be fine. Does anyone know what address to e-mail? Might just be me but I don't trust just leaving it to letters - they could just take as long as they like!

Yes but your terms and conditions may not have been changed. it depends if you are affected by the change to NGB. I am nearly certain that there was a post on here a while ago that Eircom had written to people being changed over to NGB.

Just as an update, I contacted Eircom's online customer support who apologised and cancelled it on the spot for me. I'm not sure who's right or wrong now, but I'm just glad it's sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 d_dools

Im done with Eircom,
    can't believe you have to send a letter to cancel it(but not surprised)

does anyone know what address the letter has to be sent to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭MRBEAVER

same storey with me. I called twice and was told that they will no longer accept cancellations by phone and at least 30 days notice is required.

Advertisement