Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hairlinr crack in my Coolant reserve tank on BMW 318ci

• 29-06-2010 1:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have Hairline crack in my Coolant reserve tank on BMW 318ci!!! The other day i heard a high pitch sound coming from under the bonnet when i turned off the engine, when i check i could see coolant squirting at high pressure out of the coolant tank!! The crack as i said is a hairline wide and about 1/2 inch long. Is there anything i can do to fix this problem, dont want to have to get the thing changed yet ( Haven't got the money!!) Just looking for a temp solution to fix the problem until i get cash together to change the tank.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Regards,
    BobbyT28

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

Go and get a fibre glass kit and cover in the crack with it.. Silicone sealer would do it too, just make sure its cold so the temp isnt forcing out the liquid and not allowing the sealer to set

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

If your tight on cash, a replacement tank from your local scrapyard
    would my best bet. Won't be that dear, €20-€40 i'd expect to pay.

That or you could maybe try Radweld.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

cronin_j wrote: »
    Go and get a fibre glass kit and cover in the crack with it.. Silicone sealer would do it too, just make sure its cold so the temp isnt forcing out the liquid and not allowing the sealer to set

Cronin_j

Thanks for the reply, will defo look into this. Thanks again. I take it i could get the fibre glass kit and silicone in B&Q

Muckie wrote: »
    If your tight on cash, a replacement tank from your local scrapyard
    would my best bet. Won't be that dear, €20-€40 i'd expect to pay.

That or you could maybe try Radweld.

Thanks for the reply Muckie,

Yeah might have to do that. But for the mean time ill try croinn_j suggestion first. Might try pick up a coolant reserve tank next week.

Thanks again
    BobbyT28

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Pressurised system so I'd advise replacing it. A repair is unlikely last pissing time (excuse the pun).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Fibreglass or silicone won't repair it and radweld causes more trouble than its worth, just replace it, coolant reservoirs are cheaper than headgaskets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Replace it ASAP, a lot of auto factors are supplying spurious ones now too. The part from BMW is about €40, the spurious one should be a good bit less. Its very quick to replace.

When you turn off the engine the pressure in the cooling system rises. Cause your system is not holding pressure the coolant in the block will start to boil, hence increasing the pressure further. You don't want your coolant boiling in the block!

I have attached 3 photos of the reserve tank, the crack is below the white sticker and above the 2 pipes. I have put sealant and put tape over that.

Ive been driving around now for the last week with the coolant light on. Could i get away with driving it around for another week or so?

Engine doesn't seem to be over heating or having problems.

Can anyone suggest a place to get it fitted? Not really that handy at the whole car thing!!

Thanks again everyone for the repies.

BobbyT28

Replace it ASAP, a lot of auto factors are supplying spurious ones now too. The part from BMW is about €40, the spurious one should be a good bit less. Its very quick to replace.

DublinDilbert

Its doesn't look that straight forward to change. Can you recommend some to replace it ? The pictures above, the crack is in the Coolant reserve isnt it?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

BobbyT28 wrote: »

Ive been driving around now for the last week with the coolant light on. Could i get away with driving it around for another week or so?

Engine doesn't seem to be over heating or having problems.

BobbyT28

You might get away with it for a week, but if you don't you could well be looking at a new engine.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Pressurised system so I'd advise replacing it. A repair is unlikely last pissing time (excuse the pun).

I would only fix something like that if I where broken down in the middle of nowhere and happened to have a glass fibre kit with me.
    Change it, it's not worth risking your engine over a E20 piece of plastic, bodging is for trim and non essential items such as wipers, mirrors and cracked foglamp holders. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Chances are you'll get away with it for the next week,
    if you've bein getting away with it so far. Keep your eye on the temp
    needle.

If stuck at the lights, turn the car off.
    If you even had a basic tool set or maybe a mechanical friend.
    Few hours taking your time and you'd be fine, not a major job to change.
    Good luck, hope you get it sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Can't emphasise enough that you should get this fixed.

Also make sure that you keep your coolant topped up, if the warning message is showing then you need to top it up.

If you drive around with the Check Coolant Level warning showing and a leaky expansion tank you will warp your head soon enough and it will cost you big bucks in labour to fix.

I guess it's quick if you've done it before. A tiny bit of silicone grease makes the o-rings slip on easily.

You'll probably need to replace the o-rings in the large & small pipes. Just take the old ones out and the motor factors will sell you new ones...

Don't break the bottom plastic bracket as your sliding it home.

Your taking a real chance driving as it is...
    A mechanic will have it swapped over
    and system bled in 30 mins or so...

Thanks DublinDilbert.

Yeah ive decided to just leave it in the driveway until i source a Coolant tank, not gonna drive it anymore, just drove it to football and back but that will be the last journey i take until its sorted!

Sorry for all the questions!! But, can you recommend where i could get one of these tanks? Do BMW garages have them onsite and can you just walk in and buy one of them? if not where else can i get them?

Thanks
    BobbyT38

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭beam99

There a common problem, the bmw main dealer should have them in stock, or you local motor factor can order one in.

Where are you based?

Dealer should have as it's a common fault. If they don't they'll get it for you in a working day. Otto & Gsf should have them too. A lot of motor factors are stocking them now too, I know Finglas auto parts do.

Advertisement