Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Property tax E2000 per year, won't be able to pay

• 29-06-2010 1:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm on social welfare with a visual impairment, I'm likely to be long term. There is no way I'll be able to survive if a property tax is imposed. The figures today of E2000 quoted are scary, depressing and will push some over the edge. I'll be begging on the street.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

The property tax is by no means guaranteed to come to pass (The last thing the government wants are reliable voters (Middle class homeowners) out on the streets. They can shaft the poor as much as they like because they by and large don't vote.) Even so, I believe there are going to be exemptions for certain income groups and for deprived people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'd disagree, it'll be the middle class home owners paying and the poor as you say getting exemptions.

OP, it hasn't been finalized yet and we don't know all the details yet.
    Don't stress yourself over something you can't control and isn't announced yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I'd disagree, it'll be the middle class home owners paying and the poor as you say getting exemptions.

OP, it hasn't been finalized yet and we don't know all the details yet.
    Don't stress yourself over something you can't control and isn't announced yet.

I doubt the property tax will be as high as is currently being circulated. It'll be much watered down to keep middle class rage to a minimum and I'd assume generous exemptions will exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Worried999 wrote: »
    I'm on social welfare with a visual impairment, I'm likely to be long term. There is no way I'll be able to survive if a property tax is imposed. The figures today of E2000 quoted are scary, depressing and will push some over the edge. I'll be begging on the street.
    There are always answers and means of getting out of these things.

You're likely to see those availing of social benefits to be exempt from any property taxation scheme (i.e. it will be means tested) and the figures of €2k are likely to be the higher-end stuff.

The media will always paint the worst case scenario, so there's no point in worrying about it until you have some real information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 quibbles

House many houses do you have Op? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Gone Fishin

I paid almost €40k on stamp duty on the house I'm in and I paid €16k on another. I never got a first time buys grant because the Bacon report changed a few months after I'd bought the house. I'll go to prison before I'll pay property tax.

Advertisement