Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offensively bad covers

Options
  • 29-06-2010 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Because hatin' is good for the soul. I don't think hip hop samples count as covers though.

Regina Spektor's last two or three albums have been utter tripe and it's clear she's losing the inspiration to make pleasantly quirky music but this butchered version of a classic is just awful. This is just really really bad.

I'll admit I've never had much time for Amanda Palmer but really she is taking the piss with the Radiohead covers LP. It's like she realised that her own lyrics were like bad teen girl poetry and decided that covering some classics with a ukelele would be the next step. Ugh piss off.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

The Glee cover of True Colours is the most stupid cover I've ever heard. Dosen't do the song justice

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

link

How dare you!!!

(oh and anything by Glee)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Wheelsonthebus

One word- Glee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Zulu wrote: »

Not a fan of that Scissor Sisters cover at all but I hear a lot of people quite like it. Baffles me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Here's a famously atrocious cover.

• Advertisement

RichTea wrote: »
    Not a fan of that Scissor Sisters cover at all but I hear a lot of people quite like it. Baffles me!
    "a lot of people" are idiots! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

U2 did a fairly crummy version of Hallelujah about 15 years ago, around the time they got into techno and dance music......I have often liked their covers but this one was a bit useless. Also thought their All Along the Watchtower from Rattle and Hum was very ann&barry i.e. basic and not much to it.

This was them effectively doing covers of covers, and two of the greatest cover versions of all time at that, and they really shouldn't have bothered.

Against that they did fine versions of Under my Skin, Everlasting Love and Baby please come home for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Anything Jedward does is pure tosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Without going on too much of a Jedward chant... their covers are dreadful. Like, when a band takes a gamble of trying to cover a song that's not like the usualy stuff they do, it may or may not work. But Jedwards are pointless; two talentless hacks murdering songs (good and bad) with no singing ability, no musically aptitude or anything. They're basically being allowed, and encouraged to release karaoke stuff.

Chant? I definitely meant Rant!

Nail on the head with Scissor Sisters as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I would say most of these people never heard the original.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

kc66 wrote: »
    I would say most of these people never heard the original.

Perhaps. But I'll take issue (cos somebody has to) with the 'Scissor Sisters Comfortably Numb Is Crap Party Line being adopted here'

It's good. It's very good. The trick, people, with a decent cover version is to do something with it that takes a good song and brings it elsewhere. That's what makes an original song good - that somebody can go and do a complete re-imaginging of it and it's still got the something.

Pet Shop Boys went and took U2's 'Where the streets have no names' and turned it into a mystical disco stomper. It was brilliant. The song was good enough - of itself - to withstand that. On the other hand, Neil Tennant of the band, at their gigs, would make the point of performing one of their own songs, each night, WITHOUT the synths - just him, on the acoustic guitar.

Look at McCartney doing 'Something' on the Ukulele at his recent gigs.

The real desecration cover versions are the ones that are so f*cking insipid and watery and 'faithful' to the original that you find yourself asking 'why did you bother?'. For example the Ronan Keating 'Fairytale of New York.'

That's a crap cover. It didn't need to be done. It didn't bring anything to the party. It didn't show another side of the tune.

Contrast with the Scissor Sisters. It proved that CN is a good enough song that it'll withstand a BeeGees style makeover. Also consider that the members of Pink Floyd were impressed with it.

Consider Mark Ronson taking 'Stop me' and giving it a Motown sheen. It's one of the few things Morrissey and Marr have agreed on in the last 25 years; they both liked it.

No. Please folks. Less of the po-faced carry on. Fight insipid covers. I'm not mad about that Radiohead on the uke thing, meself, but it's doing something different with the song and showing up the tunesmithery for what it is - out of the top drawer!

Yea thats all great and all. And the Scissor sisters did something different with it all right. I'll grant you all that.

That said, "doing something different" isn't good enough. And I don't care if Jebus himself likes it.

It makes my skin crawl. (which makes it offensive)
    It's shit. (which makes it a bad)
    It's not origional. (which makes it a cover)
    Thus it's an offensivly bad cover. QED. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

heh some will not be surpised I have posted this horror.

This is roughly the same as Michael Bolton covering Marvin Gays "Whats Goin' On"

and here is the sublime original complete with tone and tenor as the writer intended.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I hate the futureheads cover of Hounds of Love. It just rubs me the wrong way. I also have very little time for Johnny Cash's version of Hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Zulu wrote: »
    Yea thats all great and all. And the Scissor sisters did something different with it all right. I'll grant you all that.

That said, "doing something different" isn't good enough. And I don't care if Jebus himself likes it.

It makes my skin crawl. (which makes it offensive)
    It's shit. (which makes it a bad)
    It's not origional. (which makes it a cover)
    Thus it's an offensivly bad cover. QED. :)

nope; it's a cover where you don't appreciate the direction the covering artist took it. In fact, it's a cover where you f*cking LOATHE the direction the covering artist took it!

fair dinkum. I won't argue that with you.

But tell me that in the grand scheme of covers, music is healthier for cover versions that differ significantly from the original, that take risks (even if they polarise opinion like this one does) and encourage people to go hunt out the original just to see what all the fuss is about!

just join me in slagging of that f*ckwad Keating. Oh, and per Mike 65, Bolton as well...come the revolution, them two are first against the wall...

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dean.

Here's a famously atrocious cover.
    You hit the nail right on the headd there......that cover is the biggest piece of bull**** i've ever heard in my short life :eek: DON MCLEAN'S MUCH MUCH BETTER!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Agreed with Grumpytrousers re Scissor Sisters and Comfortably Numb.

I DETEST the Scissor Sisters - up there with Black-Eyed Peas for me - and I ADORE Comfortably Numb the original... but I really, really like the Scissors Sisters' take on it. It works well. :)

Back on topic: that cover of How Soon Is Now? which is featured on some emo witches programme with the one out of Beverly Hills 90210. DEATH to them! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

It's good. It's very good. The trick, people, with a decent cover version is to do something with it that takes a good song and brings it elsewhere. That's what makes an original song good - that somebody can go and do a complete re-imaginging of it and it's still got the something.

The real desecration cover versions are the ones that are so f*cking insipid and watery and 'faithful' to the original that you find yourself asking 'why did you bother?'. For example the Ronan Keating 'Fairytale of New York.'

That's a crap cover. It didn't need to be done. It didn't bring anything to the party. It didn't show another side of the tune.

I agree with that but there is the other extreme. Goofy attempts at being weird like doing an earnest acoustic cover of some swear filled Hip-Hop song.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,934 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Dudess wrote: »
    Back on topic: that cover of How Soon Is Now? which is featured on some emo witches programme with the one out of Beverly Hills 90210. DEATH to them! :mad:
    That's by the band Love Spit Love.

Not so much a cover as a case of unnecessary and horrific samplying..

F*ck you Sean Kingston for ruining 'Stand By Me' for me.. is nothing fecking sacred?!

And let's not forget Westife covering Relish's "Rainbow Zephr" but changing it to "Hey Whatever"! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Dean.

And ****ing paramore f*cking up use somebody, some people like it buh it's a train wreck.............:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Atomic Kitten did a cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit that was a crime against humanity.

I actually like that song less and less the more I hear it, but it's one of those sacred things from my youth. The cover isn't just bad - it's mixed with all sorts of vomit inducing stufff and is faecal matter of the highest order. A cover that bad should be cause for the death penalty tbh.

No Grumpytrousers. NO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

The Clash's cover of Junior Murvin's Police & Thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭token56

• Registered Users Posts: 43,934 ✭✭✭✭Basq

That cover was by Florence and The Machine RopeDrink.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Agreed on Florence atM cover... To call it irritating is an understatement...

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭LadyW

The most offensively bad cover EVER has got to be Stairway to Heaven by Rolf Harris....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Surely All Saints version of Under The Bridge is one of the worst ever.

Just embarrassing in every sense of the word. How they ever thought it'd be a good idea is beyond me. The face that they are class looking doesn't take away from the fact they should be shot for trying to even attempt to cover a classic

Advertisement