Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3.5mm Speaker Cable

• 29-06-2010 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Loking to get a new 3.5mm cable to run from a laptop to some speakers, 3-3.5m. The current cable i've got has given up, mostly because of the wear it takes at the connection between the cable itself and the 3.5mm plug.

So, ideally, what i'm looking for is a cable that is very sturdy in this department. Due to the nature of the laptop moving around quite a bit, the cable and plug on the laptop end are bent and put under some strain quite frequently.

Obviously, good sound quality is preferable, but i'm not sure how much of a difference there is between 3.5mm cable. I'd appreciate some input and suggestions on the matter.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭gnolan

bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

gnolan wrote: »
    bump

erm, what are you looking to do?

Connect up a set of monitor (powered) speakers to your headphone jack on the laptop?
    or
    Connect up a set of passive (hifi) speakers to your laptop using the speaker cable that would normally be attached to the speakers?

If the former, you can use anything with a headphone jack (3.5mm I presume) that is normally already attached to the speaker package.

If the latter, this is not possible without an intermediate amplifier because the headphone socket is not powerful enough to power raw speakers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭gnolan

nereid wrote: »
    erm, what are you looking to do?

Connect up a set of monitor (powered) speakers to your headphone jack on the laptop?
    or
    Connect up a set of passive (hifi) speakers to your laptop using the speaker cable that would normally be attached to the speakers?

If the former, you can use anything with a headphone jack (3.5mm I presume) that is normally already attached to the speaker package.

If the latter, this is not possible without an intermediate amplifier because the headphone socket is not powerful enough to power raw speakers.

Its a set of monitor speakers. I know that i need a cable with 3.5mm jacks either end; but like i said in my OP, i need one that has robust plugs. Was hoping someone might have some experience of a good cable.

I mean, i can get 3m lengths of 3.5mm cable for 3 euro or so, but i'm willing to spend a little more to can something that can actually handle some wear and tear.

Advertisement