Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple Ordered to Demolish House

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

D3PO wrote: »
    dont see how its harsh.

they gave the planning authority the finger and got two fingers back.
    good enough for them

the harsh thing is that there is no way to get planning for such a dream house like this .

local needs and ever stricter planning regs mean that having a 6000sq ft dream house thats not a horrible dormer bungalow is now impossible in Leinster. We really need to relax on the planning and realise that endless rolling hills and empty fields do not constitute 'asthetic value' to an area.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭jiminho

The frustrating thing is, is that these large homes are probably more aesthetically pleasing than the standard 1200 sq.ft bungalow. I can understand the concept of "blending" into the environment. Obviously a Spanish, clay tiled mansion will look out of place but these bog standard, concrete infused, non-imaginative houses that we see all around the country are just plain boring and in my opinion make our countryside look worse. A stat that has always got to me was the fact Ireland has the second lowest tree coverage as a percentage of total land area than any other country in Europe. Why don't we spend some time on landscaping our plots? Also, I always thought it looked ridiculous having a 3 bed dormer bungalow nestled in a massive 10 acre plot.

jiminho wrote: »
    The frustrating thing is, is that these large homes are probably more aesthetically pleasing than the standard 1200 sq.ft bungalow. I can understand the concept of "blending" into the environment. Obviously a Spanish, clay tiled mansion will look out of place but these bog standard, concrete infused, non-imaginative houses that we see all around the country are just plain boring and in my opinion make our countryside look worse. A stat that has always got to me was the fact Ireland has the second lowest tree coverage as a percentage of total land area than any other country in Europe. Why don't we spend some time on landscaping our plots? Also, I always thought it looked ridiculous having a 3 bed dormer bungalow nestled in a massive 10 acre plot.

As have I, we have protection orders on old country houses and castles of the 4000+ sq ft variety because theyre so aesthetically integral to the area , yet the very idea of building something new of a similar size is apparently blasphemy in the planning world

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

the harsh thing is that there is no way to get planning for such a dream house like this .

local needs and ever stricter planning regs mean that having a 6000sq ft dream house thats not a horrible dormer bungalow is now impossible in Leinster. We really need to relax on the planning and realise that endless rolling hills and empty fields do not constitute 'asthetic value' to an area.

1 off housing in the middle of nowhere costs the state a fortune. I'm glad that planning is at last taking a stand on it.

1 off housing in the middle of nowhere costs the state a fortune. I'm glad that planning is at last taking a stand on it.

it doesnt have to be in the middle of nowhere , along an existing road just outside village boundries adds no cost to the state and suits people far more than generic estates with curtain twitching neighbors, noisy kids and limited parking space.

The type of person owning a 6000sq ft house is'nt likely to depend on the state in old age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

As have I, we have protection orders on old country houses and castles of the 4000+ sq ft variety because theyre so aesthetically integral to the area , yet the very idea of building something new of a similar size is apparently blasphemy in the planning world

add also the fact that they are exempt frpm the property tax, mostly they are owned by public figurs, also if they open to the public on set dates they have other exemptions, one could argue that their owners have arranged that nothing like theirs will ever again be built.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭FunkyDa2

They must be a bit more relaxed about these things, down in Limerick...

http://streetviewireland.tumblr.com/post/1293591103/who-lives-in-a-house-like-this-wliahlt5

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Flynner1313

A judge ordered the house be demolished. How can this house still be there?

If it is then the message is not only can you ignore the planning law but you can ignore the courts as well.

Or did something happen since the ruling that we have not heard of?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Situation

Gatling said its still there on google maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Situation wrote: »

Which means nothing as the imagery is likely years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Situation wrote: »

If I was looking at the correct property

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

it doesnt have to be in the middle of nowhere , along an existing road just outside village boundries adds no cost to the state and suits people far more than generic estates with curtain twitching neighbors, noisy kids and limited parking space.

The type of person owning a 6000sq ft house is'nt likely to depend on the state in old age.

Considering this guy was unemployed at some stage (if not still), then, yes, it is a possibility. In fact there are plenty of large houses in the country - not necessarily this size, but around 4000 sq ft that were built cheaply and the couple would definitely not be considered high net worth individuals - shop workers, truck drivers, etc. if the vast amount of their savings is going on the house - housing costs don't end when the building work does - there's not going to be too much left over for old age.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nash Bridges

I'd be very curious to know if this demolition was actually enforced. If it isn't it will set an awful precedent for planning in rural areas in future. Despite the numerous flaws with the planning process it cannot simply be ignored.
    air wrote: »
    Which means nothing as the imagery is likely years old.

AFIK Google street view images are all from Summer 2010 and are somewhat dated.
    However the overhead satellite images are updated periodically and have an image date when viewed with Google Earth, most of Ireland was updated throughout mid 2013.

Can you post a link to the spot perchance and we could have a look for an image date?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,884 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Going on the planning file, its still there when Google's last set of aerial imagery was taken.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Faughan+Rise/@53.6732876,-6.7959879,238m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x48675bd6e4e911d5:0x6420256ccd684782

They asked for retention permission again in 2012 and 2013 - if I was in Meath CC planning I'd have driven the bulldozer down there myself at this stage, absolutely taking the piss.

There's no news reports past 2010 on the subject ,
    Should have gone 2 years ago ,

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nash Bridges

MYOB wrote: »
    Going on the planning file, its still there when Google's last set of aerial imagery was taken.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Faughan+Rise/@53.6732876,-6.7959879,238m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x48675bd6e4e911d5:0x6420256ccd684782

They asked for retention permission again in 2012 and 2013 - if I was in Meath CC planning I'd have driven the bulldozer down there myself at this stage, absolutely taking the piss.

That satellite image was taken on 12th July 2013, so it was still there then at least, 12 months after the court deadline.

That satellite image was taken on 12th July 2013, so it was still there then at least, 12 months after the court deadline.

Sneeky concerned citizen phone call time

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bill G

Seems they applied for planning permission again (and was deemed invalid):

http://www.meath.ie/CountyCouncil/Planning/WeeklyPlanningPermissionLists/File,50913,en.pdf

Search for "Murray"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Gatling wrote: »
    There's no news reports past 2010 on the subject ,
    Should have gone 2 years ago ,

I doubt it will ever be knocked. It is unsellable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭jiminho

Gatling wrote: »
    Sneeky concerned citizen phone call time

I know this was a joke but why is half the country like this? Why don't we all mind our own f**king business. We'll let the government take care of this. The number of times I hear PP or small extensions being denied because of neighbours even if you comply with everything under the sun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I know this was a joke but why is half the country like this? Why don't we all mind our own f**king business. We'll let the government take care of this. The number of times I hear PP or small extensions being denied because of neighbours even if you comply with everything under the sun.

Because some people are civic minded members of the community who like to see laws followed and rulings being upheld? Not just keep the head down types who walk past as they see crimes being commited.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

anyone have a google maps link etc to see this house?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

You can't pick and choose what laws you obey. This guy has basically pissed all over the law of the land purely cos he wants an admittedly gorgeous house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

European Housing Review 2009: Ireland has floor areas per person of a fifth less than Western European average
    You would want to read into how this is worked out and how relevant it. Firstly one study is only referring to new builds from 2003 onwards. We also have large homes than many European countries. You also have to consider smaller dwellings.
    Having spent time visiting friends all around Europe I can assure you many countries have properties lived in that you can't legally live in here. Go to a typical apartment in Madrid, Rome, Paris and you will see how small they are.

To give you an example of how skewed the housing values can be my Aunt, Uncle and 2 cousins live in an apartment in Rome. It is a small 2 bed and they are all adults. My cousins share a box room. They all have jobs and the parents have well paying jobs. They also own a holiday home as do the majority of people who live in the complex. Those houses drastically increase the living space they have on paper. The reason they live in the place is because it is a semi-state run block with rent control. They couldn't afford to live close to Rome any other way so have kept it.

What is a little odd in Ireland is the traditional building in the countryside are quite small. So we don't have large houses in the countryside to bring up the living spaces average. You can buy a massive house in the French countryside for very little, mean while in Paris you will live in a very small apartment.

Anyway the house is rightly being knocked down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

You really need to see the link and the house to get an idea of what we are talking about here.

This is not a families desperate attempt to provide a minimum standard of living for their family, far from it in fact. It is an opulent exercise in decadence and greed with the finishes, materials and overall build dripping of wealth and abundance.

Its a mansion laid out as a stately manor with secure entrance, double garages, extensive lawns. The maintenance costs as well as heating and electrical costs must be enormous. The idea that the owner is some hard done by peasant, another victim of the downturn and living on his last bean is an insult to every hard working citizen of this country.

There are far too many people who believe that they are better than the rest of us. After this ruling hopefully it is one less. Once this dripping pit of wealth and opulence is castrated from the honest land of Ireland we will all be the better for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Lantus wrote: »
    You really need to see the link and the house to get an idea of what we are talking about here.

This is not a families desperate attempt to provide a minimum standard of living for their family, far from it in fact. It is an opulent exercise in decadence and greed with the finishes, materials and overall build dripping of wealth and abundance.

Its a mansion laid out as a stately manor with secure entrance, double garages, extensive lawns. The maintenance costs as well as heating and electrical costs must be enormous. The idea that the owner is some hard done by peasant, another victim of the downturn and living on his last bean is an insult to every hard working citizen of this country.

There are far too many people who believe that they are better than the rest of us. After this ruling hopefully it is one less. Once this dripping pit of wealth and opulence is castrated from the honest land of Ireland we will all be the better for it.
    There should be consequences for disregard planning regulations and these should be followed through. Your post however smacks of jealousy. If someone can afford it and it is within regulations it is their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

h2005 wrote: »
    There should be consequences for disregard planning regulations and these should be followed through. Your post however smacks of jealousy. If someone can afford it and it is within regulations it is their business.

The key here being within regulations......... This particular house isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

The key here being within regulations......... This particular house isn't.

I agree that's why I pointed it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

h2005 wrote: »

I think what Lantus is referring to is the fact that the officials involved in coming to the decision of having the mansion demolished said that they did so with regret as they were aware that the owner was a victim of the downturn in society.

I'd like to see his income as a plumber before the recession if this is the case!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

danbohan wrote: »
    this case must be fought tooth and nail by RISE etc , its time that people in countryside can build a '' little'' house for themselves and not have to listen to green sw dependants telling them what they can and cannot do , if you dont live in the countryside what goes on in countryside is none of your buisness !

It does if you want us to continue to pay over the odds for your upkeep ,social services etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement