Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gynaecologist appointment waiting times

Options
  • 29-06-2010 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi

after a year of trying we started talking to our gp in febrary. I've had 2 21-day tests and both indicated that I wasn't ovulating. So my gp has referred me to a consultant gynaecologist. Private consultation. I got the appointment in the post yesterday and was disappointed to see that it was for late December - 6 months away. Is this the normal waiting time? Should I try to get a referral to someone/somewhere else?

I know we can just stay positive and keep trying in the meantime but if all the consultant will prob do is prescribe clomiphene it seems a long time to wait. I've had 18 months of regular disappointments - not looking forward to another 6.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

not for ttc reasons (other gynae reasons) I also had to make a private appointment. First I could get in Cork was 9 months so I went to one in Dublin where I got an appointment in 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Got my appointment a month ago, and it's for a months time. So 8 week waiting list, which is what my GP said to expect. I'm in Dublin.
    btw, your GP can prescribe Clomid (not all will do so though). given the long wait can you appeal to your GP to prescribe it in the interim?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I had to see a gynae after my lil one was born (almost 6 months ago). Went public and was seen within 1 month of being referred - also in Dublin.

Where are you based? 6 months seems like a long time to wait.

Try staying positive in the meantime. I knows its hard but thats all the advice I have :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Firefly12

Thanks for that. Good to hear it's not a 6 month wait for everyone. I'll give my gp a shout and see if I can get a referral somewhere else and ask about the gp prescribing it. I've absolutely no preferences about who I see or where I go. I'm in Dublin too so will hopefully sort something out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

My last gynae appointment (not for ttc) was 3 months waiting. I have VHI but the private waiting list was longer! :confused:

• Advertisement

Wow I'm amazed at how long the waiting lists are. I booked an appointment on a thursday and saw the consultant the following tuesday. Still no periods though :(

Are these waiting times based on going private through the public system?
    Have you tried ringing a private clinic to get an appointment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Firefly12

Well. I rang the consultant's secretary and asked if there was any chance of an earlier appointment. No problem - mid sept. Which suits me fine as I've some nice holidays planned in the meantime. Mid sept is way better than the end of December. And more than happy to keep trying in the meantime.:)

Moral of the story - if you're not happy, give someone a ring and ask nicely if they can help fix it! Always worth a try. Best of luck to everyone x x x

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi,
    I was just wondering if anyone has any idea of how long i will have to wait for a gynaecology appointment in Portlaoise Hospital that i have been referred for, for medical reasons

Advertisement