Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West African Music

Options
  • 29-06-2010 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

Anyone else out there like West African traditional music?

I've a few albums from there that I really love
    Toumani Diabate
    Oumou Sangare
    Rokia Traore
    Ali Farka Toure
    Afel Bocoum
    Balla et Ses Balladins

amongst others.

Is there a forum for discussion of this type of music. World music, so to speak.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭gavitron22

world music is an outdated term that by its very nature creates the division between the west and the rest, the "other", so to speak :cool:

edit: only joking, yeah it'd be nice to have a forum for it here, did a module in ethnomusicology and really just opens up your ears, to new sounds, and radically different ways of even looking at music, and try balinese gamelan, cos it's class!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

really; the term 'world music' creates the division between the West and the rest.....I always thought geography did that, alongside vast differences in wealth, living and health standards. Ah well, thanks for clue-ing me in.

EDIT: only joking.

EDIT: I'll call it Ethnomusicology from now on.

EDIT: I know (of) a chap who has gone to live in Bali to learn the Gamelan fullt time. Never heard it myself to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭gavitron22

hmmm yeah maybe that too! i'm not sure i was walf asleep when i was listening to it, but i think some four tet song has gamelan at the end...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Yup. we need a forum for non-western music.

I found this site, God bless whoever set it up :D: http://awesometapesfromafrica.blogspot.com/

Advertisement