Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Runner 5 mile 17 July 2010

• 29-06-2010 4:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭

Since it's almost number collection weekend...

Who's in? And what's your target?

Was just under 40 at Sportsworld last month, hoping to be a little faster this time. Maybe not a lot faster, because there's more hills and more crowds for this one.

Speaking of crowds, a post on the Marathon facebook page seems to be saying that there'll be time zones and wave starts this year, though it's not altogether clear if it's talking about the 5 mile or the marathon.

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 65 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    6%
    akeadyRacoonQueendidkaPVincent 4 votes
    3 stars (average)
    47%
    daymobrewLisapeepDigiJemNewaglishMcCalvinanother worldxebeclouthandproudBenEadirglennhysenduffyshufflepapamikejcsmumectoraigekaymingerard658ofSpadescphowlinTrafford Ladracheljev 31 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    27%
    rainbow kirbyscargill00sullydowlinjrovers_runnerhawkwingTheRoadRunnerpeanutheadchinguettisarsfieldsrockelvis jonesTipsygypsydigger2d2beamgirlBrianderunnerRayCunrunrabbitdevotional1993 18 votes
    1 star (terrible)
    18%
    figsEire Go BrachestariolWilliam72Oisin11178Daithi BCnomadicMagnettunguskaW.B. YeatsAimmanwgtomblin 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Better be time zones, ran this last year and going down the Kyber road was pretty slow. Very difficult to get around people due to the high grassy banks on both sider of the upper Kyber road.

But there will usually be people that ignore the time zones... Anyway keep smiling...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

4 stars (good)
    The starting pens are a must. Not so sure about the wave starts though. Surely pens are all you need?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

2 stars (poor)
    Pens would be all you needed, if everybody started in the right pen. Wave starts would let everyone spread out a bit, making people in the wrong pens less of a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

1 star (terrible)
    I'll be there, aiming for under 29 minutes. It's my first road race in a couple of months, so will be interesting to see how I go.

Pens would certainly be a help, though unless they have some sort of qualifying system, it does rely on people being honest and realistic about their goal times.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭napathy

Sub 40 wold be the target,43 last year. Crowds were bad for 5 mile but they seemed to have it sorted for the 10 and half so hopefully the pens will work.

• Advertisement

2 stars (poor)
    RayCun wrote: »
    Speaking of crowds, a post on the Marathon facebook page seems to be saying that there'll be time zones and wave starts this year, though it's not altogether clear if it's talking about the 5 mile or the marathon.

Just want to stress that I could be interpreting the facebook comment wrong. There's a post about the 5 mile and a link to marathon training groups. The comment about time zones and waves would seem to relate to the 5 mile, but it could be about the marathon.
    Don't want people to get their hopes up and be really disappointed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

2 stars (poor)
    Sub-40 is the target, even though I'm in crap shape at the moment. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

4 stars (good)
    pretty certain that there are zones /wave starts for all 3 series races this year ...I run with one of the organisers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Yep, there will be wave starts for the three races in the series.

Today is the final day for acceptance of entries for the 5 mile race.
    Entries are over 5200 at the moment and I'd imagine a good few more to come today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I registered for the Adidas Series yesterday.

My PB for a 5mile is 33minutes.
    I don't expect to break 30minutes with this particular race but anything under 33 would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

2 stars (poor)
    Yep, there will be wave starts for the three races in the series.

Hey HW. How is this going to work? Will people decide which wave they are going to go in or will the organisers assign people to waves. I only ask as assigning people to waves could upset the race at the front obviously.

Last time I ran this I ran 27.20 so I'd be delighted with something similar although that may be just a little too fast on this course for me at the moment. We'll see

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

3 stars (average)
    I did the sportsworld 5mile in May in 43.48, so anything under that would be great!

By the way I'm happy to pick up numbers for people - I live in Knocklyon but work in Sandyford. I'd rather not do a meet up the day of the race (I do not function well under pressure ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

2 stars (poor)
    Im such a newb - I'd like to do it in under 53 minutes, but its my first 5 mile race so it will be a pb no matter what :D. If I go under 53 though it beats my best pace so far, so Id be very happy with that.

Hey HW. How is this going to work? Will people decide which wave they are going to go in or will the organisers assign people to waves. I only ask as assigning people to waves could upset the race at the front obviously.

Last time I ran this I ran 27.20 so I'd be delighted with something similar although that may be just a little too fast on this course for me at the moment. We'll see

There will probably be three waves. People will be asked to go to the correct starting pen, based on their predicted time. It will be up to each individual to be as honest as possible. It worked very well for the Half Marathon last year. With the chip timing, everyone will get their correct time anyway.
    Obviously, all the fast runners like yourself, will be up at the front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Cam in just under 45 at the Sportworld but I really pushed myself & it was very flat. So I predict a little bit more....
    now whether to bring the ipod or not, decisions...I didn't have bring it at the GIR and I really missed it..but maybe I should get used to running without it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Its a tricky one to pace. Tendency is to go too fast as far as the bottom of the Kyber road. After the two climbs its a real test of stamina and strenght to get back up to full race pace for the final flat mile and 3/4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

2 stars (poor)
    T runner wrote: »
    Its a tricky one to pace. Tendency is to go too fast as far as the bottom of the Kyber road. After the two climbs its a real test of stamina and strenght to get back up to full race pace for the final flat mile and 3/4.

Just seen this and am actually free that day so might do it !!

It will make a change to run up pthe Kyber and not down it !

2 stars (poor)

decide quick, it's the last day to enter

2 stars (poor)
    Saw that....................

• Advertisement

2 stars (poor)
    What time is the race at, i can't find any info on the site ??

What time is the race at, i can't find any info on the site ??

It's on the site. A 10am start for each race in the series.

2 stars (poor)
    It's on the site. A 10am start for each race in the series.

cheers i couldn't find it................all i have to do now is sign up !

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭itsalltrue

looking forward to this race. i'm hoping to go below 40, the closer to 35 the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

Can I pick up several race numbers at Lifestyle at the weekend? If I turn up with three different emails for the 5 mile race, they'll give me three numbers, right?

Can I pick up several race numbers at Lifestyle at the weekend? If I turn up with three different emails for the 5 mile race, they'll give me three numbers, right?

No problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

No problem.

Great stuff, thanks

2 stars (poor)
    I live in Laois but will be in Dublin Sunday ( doing half marathon in Clontarf ) can i pick mine up or does it have to be posted out ??

It will make a change to run up pthe Kyber and not down it !

Think were running down the Kyber road between mile 1 and 1.5.
    I tend to go a bit fast here, and have little left for the flat section after the upper glen road hill at mile 3.5.

• Advertisement

2 stars (poor)
    T runner wrote: »
    Think were running down the Kyber road between mile 1 and 1.5.
    I tend to go a bit fast here, and have little left for the flat section after the upper glen road hill at mile 3.5.

Looking forward to this now !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Not sure what I'm aiming for here. Think I'll aim for a sub 48 but secretly a sub 45! But as long as I beat that disastrous 58 from last year I'll be happy.

Word of warning though be careful running down Kyber Pass, it can get very meesy and packed. 3 people fell in front of me last year trying to scoot by people and that's how I tore my MCL by trying to avoid one of them and twisted my knee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

2 stars (poor)
    Just entered for this, i could be the last to enter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

2 stars (poor)
    Due to the crowds and going down the Kybher, i find its a very hard course to do a really fast time so i'm not too bothered about my time for this. A fella behind me took two out of it last year when he fell so you just don't have the space to run at a steady pace in a short race. Its one for enjoyment in my book.

2 stars (poor)
    How many will be doing this,

i did a 5 miler finishing up the kyber in 42 so i'd hope to do the same if not better with a race that doesn't have that at the end to soak every drop of energy out of me:D

2 stars (poor)
    Over 5200 entries a couple of days ago

• Advertisement

2 stars (poor)

Holy poo:eek:

I think i'll forget about a PB in a field that size.

Holy poo:eek:

I think i'll forget about a PB in a field that size.

Just bear in mind that the wave starts will hopefully reduce the congestion and allow a little bit of freer movement.

2 stars (poor)
    Just bear in mind that the wave starts will hopefully reduce the congestion and allow a little bit of freer movement.

How many waves ??

How many waves ??

See earlier post:

There will probably be three waves. People will be asked to go to the correct starting pen, based on their predicted time. It will be up to each individual to be as honest as possible. It worked very well for the Half Marathon last year. With the chip timing, everyone will get their correct time anyway.

I've just been told that the three starting zones will be as follows:
    Sub 40, 40 to 50, and 50+.
    All details will be in the final instructions.
    Just make sure you go to the zone that suits you best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

2 stars (poor)
    What's the dealio for parking for these races? Would I be right in assuming it's best to park in town and take the Luas up? Or what's the best way to do it - is there any parking in Castleknock?

2 stars (poor)
    I've just been told that the three starting zones will be as follows:
    Sub 40, 40 to 50, and 50+.
    All details will be in the final instructions.
    Just make sure you go to the zone that suits you best.

Great, 40 to 50 for me.

Can i collect in Lifestyle this weekend or is that just Dublin address ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Great, 40 to 50 for me.

See you in that wave!

2 stars (poor)
    runrabbit wrote: »
    What's the dealio for parking for these races? Would I be right in assuming it's best to park in town and take the Luas up? Or what's the best way to do it - is there any parking in Castleknock?

With that amount of people i'd avoid the park............i walk in recently when i did a different 5 miler and i was almost dead after the walk from heuston:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Think its best to park in Castle Knock and walk over, the start for all of the series races is more at the West end side of the Pheonix Park, (i.e. well away from the City side). To get a bit closer drive in the castleknock gate and park along the top of chesterfield Rd, but you would need to be early enough to do this.

They also used to open Castleknock college rugby field for parking. Dont know if this is still available???

Great, 40 to 50 for me.

Can i collect in Lifestyle this weekend or is that just Dublin address ???

ALL numbers will be available for collection from 10am to 6 on Saturday and from 11am to 6 on Sunday, including those from outside Dublin.

2 stars (poor)

Facebook page says 5930 entries, and still counting... I presume the actual numbers on the day will be closer to 5000 but still....

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Sport101

There's handy parking all around the park for bicycles :), in fact right beside the start/finish area. Makes for a nice warm up and down too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Can we collect numbers on the day?

#701 reporting for duty, hoping to clock something in the 31-32mins range if I have a clear run on the day

ALL numbers will be available for collection from 10am to 6 on Saturday and from 11am to 6 on Sunday, including those from outside Dublin.

Sorry if this has been covered already. Will numbers be posted to people with Dublin addresses if they are not collected this week-end?

The race-site only mentions this is the case for non-Dublin addresses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement