Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Runner 5 mile 17 July 2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

2 stars (poor)
    daymobrew wrote: »
    I find him quite amusing (though I know someone a few pages back really dislikes him). It must be tough to keep talking for as long as he does. I couldn't do it without trying to put a CD on.

Yeah, he said a lot of stupid things, but it doesn't matter if you're laughing with him or laughing at him, as long as he's filling the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

2 stars (poor)
    RayCun wrote: »
    Yeah, he said a lot of stupid things, but it doesn't matter if you're laughing with him or laughing at him, as long as he's filling the time.

I disagree, just leave the music playing and make general announcements about race start/safety etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

2 stars (poor)

Sorry but as someone who does this sort of thing i can say he was awful.

Trying to be "hip" taking about the black eyed peas:rolleyes::p

He didn't give enough basic information during his links and in all honesty who gives a $hit about the dubs in croke park:confused:

I was there from 9 and toilets were mentioned once, waves twice i think and the dubs in croke park about 15 times.

But better than the 2 song fit crowd in the middle of the second wave !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

1 star (terrible)
    Yeah, they really need to say something a bit more high profile than the 20th comment on a Facebook post. Either an email to all entrants or something on the marathon page.

+1. Absolutley they need to go a little further with the apology. I think they should even offer automatic entry to the 5 miler next year for everybody who ran on saturday, as a good faith gesture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭hawkwing

2 stars (poor)
    I didn't mind him too much,BUT he started taking the piss out of a lad who was wearing the '09 5mile shirt in front of everyone and the lad got a bit embarrassed--what was that about :confused:as it only showed that he had supported the race before and paid his money two years running.Surely he should have said something nice about him instead.

• Advertisement

2 stars (poor)

Trying to be "hip" taking about the black eyed peas:rolleyes::p

Yeah what the hell was that about? I thought I heard him say the Black eyed peas were running! Me being the big eejit believed him initially :rolleyes: until I listened to some more of his god awful waffle and then I realised he was talking through his bum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Yeah what the hell was that about? I thought I heard him say the Black eyed peas were running! Me being the big eejit believed him initially :rolleyes: until I listened to some more of his god awful waffle and then I realised he was talking through his bum.

Sure Fergie put the perfume samples in the bag herself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

3 stars (average)
    Sure Fergie put the perfume samples in the bag herself :D

Too funny :D

She must have gallons of that perfume to spare, it was given out at the womens mini marathon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭drrunner

3 stars (average)
    Will give 10 out of 10 to the announcer for effort - I don't think he's trying to be cool - just encouraging!!!

Close relative of mine who did the race is delighted with a 1 min 40 sec PB for "5" Miles and I just don't have the heart to tell them that the course was short - or at least my plan is to wait until they do their next 5 mile race when either

1. They will be disappointed because they have run slower (but hopefully still inside their old PB) - in which case, I will inform them then that they have really got a PB

OR

2. They will get another PB in which case I will probably still tell them at that point that the previous race was short so they'll be even happier

....oh the dilemmas!!! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

3 stars (average)
    drrunner wrote: »
    Will give 10 out of 10 to the announcer for effort - I don't think he's trying to be cool - just encouraging!!!

Close relative of mine who did the race is delighted with a 1 min 40 sec PB for "5" Miles and I just don't have the heart to tell them that the course was short - or at least my plan is to wait until they do their next 5 mile race when either

1. They will be disappointed because they have run slower (but hopefully still inside their old PB) - in which case, I will inform them then that they have really got a PB

OR

2. They will get another PB in which case I will probably still tell them at that point that the previous race was short so they'll be even happier

....oh the dilemmas!!! :cool:

Your relative is a feckin legend and should be at the olympics.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

4 stars (good)

Instead of talking crap he could tell people to get into the right bloody pen and place themselves in the correct place in said pen. He could also ask walkers not to walk 3 abreast etc and ask them to start towards the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 RallyRunner

3 stars (average)
    Didn't get a chance to post before now. Just my viewpoint on people in the wrong waves. I was up towards the top of the 40-50 group. What I did notice at the start was when the sub 40 group was moved up to the start line, the majority of people who were arriving late saw the big gap and decided to jump in there.

My pacing wouldn't be the best in the world so when I hit the first mile marker I thought I was way too fast, and then was way off for the 2nd mile. Pushed it in for the rest and finished in 39.59. That's mine and I'm keeping it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭aero2k

Instead of talking crap he could tell people to get into the right bloody pen and place themselves in the correct place in said pen. He could also ask walkers not to walk 3 abreast etc and ask them to start towards the back.
    One of the problems about race etiquette is that while a lot of people just don't know any better and would do the right thing if they knew what it was, lots of people either don't know and don't care, or know and equally don't care.

Not an exact analogy, but I drove to Kilbeggan this morning on the M6. Lovely day, perfect driving conditions, wonderful road, very little traffic. Up ahead I see a 4x4, travelling in the overtaking lane, with no other traffic near. I indicated, pulled out behind him and waited for him to move in - nothing. Quick headlight flash, he moved over, I passed, and pulled back into the left lane. I glanced in the mirror just in time to see him moving back out into the overtaking lane even though we were the only two vehicles for miles and he wasn't trying to overtake me. WTF???

In this case I think there's a bit of "I paid the toll so I'll drive in whatever lane I like, when I like", perhaps there's also a bit of "I paid the entry fee..."

No amount of well meaning education or asking nicely will completely eradicate thoughtless or ignorant behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 RoyNeary

aero2k wrote: »
    Lovely day, perfect driving conditions, wonderful road, very little traffic. Up ahead I see a 4x4, travelling in the overtaking lane, with no other traffic near. I indicated, pulled out behind him and waited for him to move in - nothing. Quick headlight flash, he moved over, I passed, and pulled back into the left lane. I glanced in the mirror just in time to see him moving back out into the overtaking lane even though we were the only two vehicles for miles and he wasn't trying to overtake me. WTF???

In this case I think there's a bit of "I paid the toll so I'll drive in whatever lane I like, when I like", perhaps there's also a bit of "I paid the entry fee..."

No amount of well meaning education or asking nicely will completely eradicate thoughtless or ignorant behaviour.

A bit off topic but what's your problem? If there was no traffic on the road and that driver was observing speed limits what was the problem? he didn't have to worry about the car in front of him stopping suddenly but then all of a sudden he did. You could have caused an accident . WTF!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

4 stars (good)
    the MC is Liam Moggan...a very good athlete in his day...knows his stuff....I like him

a bit of persepective on Sat...yes it was 150 meters short...so what ...I went back to my car on a bike in the lashing rain and then went for a few more miles and in all that time I saw nothing but smiling runners chuffed with themselves for running 5miles...is that what it is all about

2 stars (poor)
    PVincent wrote: »
    the MC is Liam Moggan...a very good athlete in his day...knows his stuff....I like him

a bit of persepective on Sat...yes it was 150 meters short...so what ...I went back to my car on a bike in the lashing rain and then went for a few more miles and in all that time I saw nothing but smiling runners chuffed with themselves for running 5miles...is that what it is all about

Can't speak for eveybody else but yes it is about 5 miles. If I wanted to run 4.9 miles with a smile on my face I would have done it in my local park, saved myself the 20 euro and travel hassle getting into the Phoenix park. I don't really care what you or the happy campers you saw got out of the race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

3 stars (average)
    aero2k wrote: »
    One of the problems about race etiquette is that while a lot of people just don't know any better and would do the right thing if they knew what it was, lots of people either don't know and don't care, or know and equally don't care.
    I guy in the sub 40 wave was chatting to his spectator partner and she remarked that he was in the wrong wave, he replied "I know, I just want to get going and then I'll get out of the way"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

RoyNeary wrote: »
    A bit off topic but what's your problem? If there was no traffic on the road and that driver was observing speed limits what was the problem? he didn't have to worry about the car in front of him stopping suddenly but then all of a sudden he did. You could have caused an accident . WTF!!!!
    It's called an over-taking lane for a reason. How off-topic can we get? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

3 stars (average)
    daymobrew wrote: »
    I guy in the sub 40 wave was chatting to his spectator partner and she remarked that he was in the wrong wave, he replied "I know, I just want to get going and then I'll get out of the way"

I got into the wrong wave as I was late arriving after dropping wife and kids to the zoo first. Ended up in the last wave I think...

Turned out to be a good thing for me though as I started from the front and by the time I caught the slower runners from previous wave at top of Kyber they were well enough spread out to get by without too much trouble.

Was quite strange in a nice way to spend an entire race passing people instead of the other way around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭aero2k

Sorry mods, way O/T, but I can't let this go unchallenged
    A bit off topic but what's your problem?
    My problem is as follows:
    You're supposed to stay in the left lane on a motorway unless you're overtaking. This guy wasn't overtaking (there was nothing to overtake) and he was travelling at less than the speed limit. I wanted to travel at the speed limit but I couldn't perform a legal overtake unless he moved into the left lane.

If there was no traffic on the road and that driver was observing speed limits what was the problem?
    Why was he in the overtaking lane if there was nothing to overtake???? Keep left, pass right as per the rules of the road.
    he didn't have to worry about the car in front of him stopping suddenly but then all of a sudden he did.
    ???? I was trying to keep my post brief. After overtaking him I moved back into the left lane in front of him - about 200m in front of him.
    You could have caused an accident . WTF!!!!
    • I indicated right
    • I checked my mirror and looked over my right shoulder - all clear
    • I moved into the overtaking lane a safe distance behind the car I wanted to overtake.
    • I waited for a while for him to notice my presence and react appropriately
    • When he didn't notice my presence, I flashed my headlights.
    • He moved in to the left lane, I overtook, indicated left, checked my mirror, and moved into the left lane a safe distance in front
    How, pray tell, could I have caused an accident, except perhaps by waking a sleeping driver??:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

2 stars (poor)
    Can't speak for eveybody else but yes it is about 5 miles. If I wanted to run 4.9 miles with a smile on my face I would have done it in my local park, saved myself the 20 euro and travel hassle getting into the Phoenix park. I don't really care what you or the happy campers you saw got out of the race

slow 4.9 course = flat 5m course therefore your time is about the same
    The only people getting pbs on that 5m route are guys who don't run on flat 5m races outside of the park or newbies to the sport.

1 star (terrible)
    slow 4.9 course = flat 5m course therefore your time is about the same
    The only people getting pbs on that 5m route are guys who don't run on flat 5m races outside of the park or newbies to the sport.

Its impossible to corelate, you cant say that 4.9miles on one course =
    5miles on another. The time we did on saturday is null and void, end of story. No amount of correction factors or whatever can possibly give us an accurate time, too many variables at play.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

3 stars (average)
    tunguska wrote: »
    Its impossible to corelate, you cant say that 4.9miles on one course =
    5miles on another. The time we did on saturday is null and void, end of story. No amount of correction factors or whatever can possibly give us an accurate time, too many variable at play.

Divide by 4.9 and multiply by 5.

Not perfect, but I think alot of people are overreacting, it is promoted almost as a fun run or as training for those in preparation of the marathon, who would not, maybe, be as well prepared as more enthusiastic runners and may not have the dedication to stick to a training regime as tightly as many of those on this forum.

I realise that this a huge generalisation but that is the way it appears to me to be promoted.

2 stars (poor)

Not true, don't know why I'm rising to this:rolleyes:

I've been running 22 years with a club and this is the third time I've ran 5 miles in the phoenix park. I've ran the flat sportsword 5 mile road race on at least 5 occassions through the years and in total about 10 other 5 mile races. Have a guess what I would have ran a PB if the course was properly measured Saturday. Your reasoning is null and void, goodbye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

3 stars (average)

I've been running 22 years with a club and this is the third time I've ran 5 miles in the phoenix park. I've ran the flat sportsword 5 mile road race on at least 5 occassions through the years and in total about 10 other 5 mile races. Have a guess what I would have ran a PB if the course was properly measured Saturday. Your reasoning is null and void, goodbye

+1

I ran the RTE 5-mile race in May when my fitness level was much better than it is now (or so I thought), that's a flat course and I PB'd by about a minute (38:08).

Despite the hills and crowds on Saturday and the poor training I've had over the last few weeks, I was on for another PB by about a minute - finished the short course in 36:21.

I don't think I can be counted as either a newbie or someone who doesn't run flat races, so again your point doesn't stand. I'm pretty much over it now but I was cheated of a PB by the short course. Pity, cos I was very proud of the effort I put in during the race and how I managed the hills/pacing.

1 star (terrible)
    CramCycle wrote: »
    Divide by 4.9 and multiply by 5.

*Bangs head against wall*
    You wont get an accurate time with mathematical projections. There are way too many real life variables at work in a race. The course was 160meters short, a lot can happen in 160meters, trust me, especially at the end of a race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

2 stars (poor)

Rubbish-I've run many 5m over 10 years including a sub 25mins myself and there is no way that was a fast course. Are you mad? Did you miss the uphills or take a short cut? The Sportsworld 5m course (not that brutal new one)had a world best and my PB is on that course too.

My point was with the short hilly course it evened itself out regarding your time to a flat 5miler give or take a few seconds. Of course its not scientific but my times don't lie over the years.
    The truth is you will never know if it was a PB for you as you ran 4.88 or 4.9 not 5m.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The truth is you will never know if it was a PB for you as you ran 4.88 or 4.9 not 5m.
    ... and that is precisely the problem that we have.

2 stars (poor)
    Rubbish-I've run many 5m over 10 years including a sub 25mins myself and there is no way that was a fast course. Are you mad? Did you miss the uphills or take a short cut? The Sportsworld 5m course (not that brutal new one)had a world best and my PB is on that course too.

I never said it was a fast course and you have just proved the super human effort I put in running a potential PB on a tough course, thank you I appreciate your congratulations.

I don't get your point, it may not be a fast course but I was running a life time best on it until it ended short. Would I have run faster on a faster course on that given day, eh probably yes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

3 stars (average)
    tunguska wrote: »
    *Bangs head against wall*
    You wont get an accurate time with mathematical projections. There are way too many real life variables at work in a race. The course was 160meters short, a lot can happen in 160meters, trust me, especially at the end of a race.

I thought i was clearly joking with that point, contrary to popular belief, I'm not completely stupid
    although scientists say I'm close

Sorry if that wasn't clear, I was just trying to make light of the situation, its over, it wasn't 5 miles, no one can claim they would have had a PB as alot have pointed out, since no one knows, I don't think it's worth whining on about, unless its to DCM so they can sort it for next year.

Personally, I had a PB for 4.9miles :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

2 stars (poor)
    Some days when you are in a race, everything goes to plan and regardless of the course, you knock out a PB. It has happened to me. Tis like getting a run of green lights when u're late.

Also funnily enough, i find doing a PB on 'easy courses' quite tricky as i don't see myself progressing along as i'm not passing people out which tells the brain the effort is worth it.

Also a lot can happen in 160m such as a fall so maths won't help anyone on this one. If its short, you can claim a PB but you're only codding yourself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've found myself PB'ing on courses that I really shouldn't be as well and think it must be due to things like passing other people then encouraging me to go even faster despite conditions not seeming that good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

3 stars (average)
    I heard .1 of a mile will be added to the 10mile to make up for the short fall.

2 stars (poor)
    gerard65 wrote: »
    I heard .1 of a mile will be added to the 10mile to make up for the short fall.

I would honestly prefer a long rather than a short course!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Tommy Max

Just wondering, after the 5 mile run last weekend I saw people wearing White and Grey tshirts. Were there two different colours given out and why was this does anybody know?

• Advertisement

2 stars (poor)
    Did both colours say 2010? I think someone said that some of the extra-small tops given out were from last year.

Didnt catch the year on the shirt as saw them from a distance but it wouldnt have been extra small. Was baggy on an average sized adult male and then two girls wearing the same. Theirs possibly were extra small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Birdsong

my friend is extra small and she got the white tee-shirt with 2010 on it. I got the dull grey medium - they really are not nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Birdsong wrote: »
    my friend is extra small and she got the white tee-shirt with 2010 on it. I got the dull grey medium - they really are not nice

They are terrible. the green print on the dull brown-grey t-shirt is barely legible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

2 stars (poor)
    I got a medium because I like my t-shirts relatively loose (got a medium at the 5 mile and HM last year and they were fine) - it's like a tent. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I thought last years t shirt sizing was a disaster - i got a large last year, and it was like a belly top on me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

3 stars (average)
    I thought last years t shirt sizing was a disaster - i got a large last year, and it was like a belly top on me!!
    +1. I went for the xlarge this year and it fits very well. I'm not usually xlarge:eek:. Can't use the large from last year. Just too small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

3 stars (average)
    Really? I got a small for the 5 mile last year and it's just a little too small, the mediums from the 10, half and this year's 5 are pretty much perfect...

So they were all Grey anyway other than the extra smalls?

That grey and green print isnt the nicest to be fair.

Better than pink surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

robinph wrote: »
    Better than pink surely?

Oh I don't know, might match my eyes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I crossed the line in a new pb of 32.58 on Saturday last, and strutted into the club like a peacock, only to be brought back down to earth with the news that the route wasn't correctly measured. 4.8 miles instead of 5. Anyone know anything about this?

2 stars (poor)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

3 stars (average)
    davedanon wrote: »
    I crossed the line in a new pb of 32.58 on Saturday last, and strutted into the club like a peacock, only to be brought back down to earth with the news that the route wasn't correctly measured. 4.8 miles instead of 5. Anyone know anything about this?
    It was 4.98 miles, not 4.8. The organisers admitted it on Facebook.

I estimate that your 32:58 extrapolates to 33:34 for the full 5 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

ok, thanks for that. 34.11 was my previous best, so I suppose I can take solace in that. By the way, they say it was 146m short, which by my reckoning at 160 yards is about 0.9 of a mile, so 4.91 miles instead of 4.98, does that look right?

• Advertisement
Advertisement