Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Runner 5 mile 17 July 2010

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

3 stars (average)
    daymobrew wrote: »
    It was 4.98 miles, not 4.8. The organisers admitted it on Facebook.

I estimate that your 32:58 extrapolates to 33:34 for the full 5 miles.

Thought it was 4.90 ish ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I see after scrolling back that you've all thrashed this one out thoroughly. Personally, I think it is a dreadful mistake to make. Everything else may have been fine, but a short course is a cardinal sin. Runners live for their times; it's why they run the same routes religiously, castigating others for cutting corners, so that you know definitively that your times are right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

3 stars (average)
    davedanon wrote: »
    By the way, they say it was 146m short, which by my reckoning at 160 yards is about 0.9 of a mile, so 4.91 miles instead of 4.98, does that look right?
    Yes, you are right, it was about 4.9 miles. It was about 1.8% short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

2 stars (poor)
    Apology from Frank Greally in the latest irish runner magazine.

"And i say a heartfelt thanks to the many runners who took the time and the effort to tell me that they understood that it was a human error and not negligence that caused this years blip in our otherwise sound record. I am sorry for what happened and I am greatly humbled by the experience."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Apology from Frank Greally in the latest irish runner magazine.

"And i say a heartfelt thanks to the many runners who took the time and the effort to tell me that they understood that it was a human error and not negligence that caused this years blip in our otherwise sound record. I am sorry for what happened and I am greatly humbled by the experience."

Jaysus that's a powerful apology, fair play. When you consider the amount of joy that people get from the race series and how well organised they are, this is a minor blip.

The carnival atmosphere at the races makes participation worth while, they are fantastic days and superb value. Thanks to all involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

2 stars (poor)
    In the wider article does he actually say what he is saying sorry for ?

That could be for running out of water, the weather or even that annoying git on the mic;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

2 stars (poor)
    Fair play, they apology for the error but why did they never mention it on the website after the event? Maybe its up there now but i can't see it.

Is it because the marathon don't organise the race series themselves? If so why is the apology on the Facebook page? Can anyone clear this up as it doesn't add up to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

3 stars (average)
    In the wider article does he actually say what he is saying sorry for ?

That could be for running out of water, the weather or even that annoying git on the mic;)
    Yep, it came down to human error, someone put the start line in the wrong place. In fairness he does go on to say how disappointed he was when he found out - 'I felt like I was walking around in concrete boots and weighed down by a heavy heart'. In another part of the 'Irish Runner' he admits a short course is one of the big no no's.
    Its not bad this month. Some good articles on younger athletes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

2 stars (poor)
    chinguetti wrote: »
    Fair play, they apology for the error but why did they never mention it on the website after the event? Maybe its up there now but i can't see it.

On some other thread (the 10 mile thread maybe?) Hard Worker said there was a notice in the newspapers that carried the results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

A very heartfelt apology. Let's not beat him to death! The Frank Duffy was a superb race, and the organization (and race measurement!) was absolutely top notch. I rank the race series among the better value races in the country. Long may they learn from their mistakes and continue to thrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Jnealon

gerard65 wrote: »
    Yep, it came down to human error, someone put the start line in the wrong place. In fairness he does go on to say how disappointed he was when he found out - 'I felt like I was walking around in concrete boots and weighed down by a heavy heart'. In another part of the 'Irish Runner' he admits a short course is one of the big no no's.
    Its not bad this month. Some good articles on younger athletes.

Speaking of young athletes in this issue of irish runner, my young lad in his first race ever got his picture spread across two pages.
    All my years running and the best I get is the odd mention in the local news letter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

3 stars (average)
    Jnealon wrote: »
    Speaking of young athletes in this issue of irish runner, my young lad in his first race ever got his picture spread across two pages.
    All my years running and the best I get is the odd mention in the local news letter
    Make sure to keep that safe and so you can bring it out in years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

gerard65 wrote: »
    Make sure to keep that safe and so you can bring it out in years to come.
    Ah I managed to sneek into the AAI calendar for 2009, but not sure where I put it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

I can be seen in the 10 mile programme as part of the big group running in 2009. Ok, not great, but I spotted my big head a mile off. Missus was impressed anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

1 star (terrible)
    I'm in this month's issue of Irish Runner too, but in fairness, its the group photo at the start of Ken & Gerry's Mullingar marathon. Advantages of being over 6 foot is that the cheesey grin is spotted above the rest :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

A very heartfelt apology. Let's not beat him to death! The Frank Duffy was a superb race, and the organization (and race measurement!) was absolutely top notch. I rank the race series among the better value races in the country. Long may they learn from their mistakes and continue to thrive.

Was at a Dublin marathon charity function last night, Frank Greally was there, very entertaining speaker. Jim Aughney (RD for the marathon) said the race series was started to get the numbers running the DM back up to 1980's levels- they had dwindled to a few thousand in the mid 90's/early 00's. As a direct result of the race series, there was record entry for DM last year (12,000+), and looks like this year too.

(Other guest speakers were John Treacy, Bill Porter, Brendan O'Shea, and Gerry Kinsella. Great to hear these guys discuss the golden age of Irish Road running, and how they're involved in trying to bring about a new generation through).

Advertisement