Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Runner 5 mile 17 July 2010

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

4 stars (good)
    Hey guys just wondering will the main gate in from castleknock be open for parking at the top of the course as such. If so what time would it fill up from / did it fill up last year - I'm struggling to get down before 9.00.

People usually park just outside there, there's a lot of parking in Castleknock around all the housing estates etc there'll be minimal parking in Chapelizod as well along St. Laurences Road and Chapelizod hill. Lots of parking in Ballyfermot if you fancy a 20 minute or so run before the race.(about a 10 minute 'jog' to the start line from there).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

If you decide to park at the Park Gate street end, around infirmary road or Montpeillier hill, just be aware that there are some well dodgy flats nearby. I used to live there and my car was broken into several times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

3 stars (average)
    People usually park just outside there, there's a lot of parking in Castleknock around all the housing estates etc there'll be minimal parking in Chapelizod as well along St. Laurences Road and Chapelizod hill. Lots of parking in Ballyfermot if you fancy a 20 minute or so run before the race.(about a 10 minute 'jog' to the start line from there).

Is there any parking / access onto the start of chesterfield avenue at the catleknock end. I am thinking about leaving a car there overnight tonight - just worried about not being able to get it back out after the race if the castleknock gate is locked etc.

4 stars (good)
    Is there any parking / access onto the start of chesterfield avenue at the catleknock end. I am thinking about leaving a car there overnight tonight - just worried about not being able to get it back out after the race if the castleknock gate is locked etc.

The gate should be open yeah. It usually is as they used to use that gate as access for the races. If it's not going to be open there'll be a sign up stating that. I'd imagine all pedestrian gates will be open though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

2 stars (poor)
    For anyone going from town, the commuter train from tara street or connolly to ashtown is pretty much perfect. 10 min walk from the start area across the navan road. A train leaves tara at 09:10 and connolly at 09:14 and gets to ashtown at 09:27. I get it everytime to the race series and it gives you enough time.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ct_roy

good luck to everyone racing tomorrow!
    i did the 10 mile and half last year but missed the 5 through injury so looking forward to making up for missing it last year.

a stubborn chest infection basically meant i've only ran 3 or 4 times in july but i still plan on going around sub 45 and pushing bloody hard for 40!

then it's ramp up the training big time for the marathon!
    now back to race prep
    - beer? check
    - pizza? check

:D

oh yeah forgot to say the forecast is looking good too.
    it should be clear with minimal probability of rain and less windy than today so conditions should be perfect - hopefully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

3 stars (average)
    ct_roy wrote: »
    now back to race prep
    - beer? check
    - pizza? check

:D
    You can never have enough carbs;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

jfh wrote: »
    i did this years ago when living in dublin, however i'm driving up from limerick this time, anyone suggest a good place to park? i imagine parking will be scarce as there's no parking in castleknock college.

Red cow and get the luas in to Heuston could be an option and also means you not caught in the traffic after

Best of luck to everyone racing tomorrow

• Advertisement

gerard65 wrote: »
    You can never have enough carbs;)
    no gerard you certainly can't :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

3 stars (average)
    Tommy Max wrote: »
    Anybody know where would be the best place to park near the park as Im sure it will be chaotic in there?
    The main road, Chesterfield Avenue, between Parkgate Street and the Phoenix Monument (roundabout in the middle of Phoenix Park) is open for parking. That part is not being used during the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

2 stars (poor)
    Good luck tomorrow everyone, Im getting excited now, All jittery and full of the 'come on, let's go'... How ever am I going to get to sleep tonight? Is anyone else as ridiculous as me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

3 stars (average)
    Yeah me too, even at work today I couldnt stop thinking about it and was actually a bit nervous at times, I'm a virgin racegoer as well..just hope I get around in one piece:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

1 star (terrible)
    Tipsygypsy wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow everyone, Im getting excited now, All jittery and full of the 'come on, let's go'... How ever am I going to get to sleep tonight? Is anyone else as ridiculous as me?
    Yeah me too, even at work today I couldnt stop thinking about it and was actually a bit nervous at times, I'm a virgin racegoer as well..just hope I get around in one piece:).

Best of luck folks
    Here's hoping for a mild day with some sun shine and wind at our backs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

3 stars (average)
    Worst preparation ever - Beer and takeaway :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

It's on....

Best of luck everyone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Go Boards.ie's Go!!!
    Happy Racing Everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

3 stars (average)
    Looks like an ok day for the race. A little breezy and some ominous clouds hanging over the Dublin mountains, but for the moment at the Phoenix Park it's dry.

Best of luck to everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭hawkwing

2 stars (poor)
    xebec wrote: »
    Looks like an ok day for the race. A little breezy and some ominous clouds hanging over the Dublin mountains, but for the moment at the Phoenix Park it's dry.

Best of luck to everyone!
    It doesn't bother me too much but i think the rain now over Longford may hit the Park bang on about 1000,if you run the animation and predict the track--wind lighter though so no complaints,it will only cool us down :)
    http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

4 stars (good)
    Lets hope it rains!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Good race today, had a good gallop at the end with a guy from Kerry.
    Both of us could see the clock counting down to 30mins which made for an epic dash to the line.
    Nice googy bag, tshirt fits, what more can I ask for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

1 star (terrible)
    Lets hope it rains!
    Thankfully it came late.
    All ran smoothly as far as I could see. My brother started in the second wave and said he spent ages dodging people but thats the nature of the race series.
    I got in ~32 mins. Forgot to start my watch on time. Hopefully sub 32.
    Well done everyone who's first race it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 flipsky

Course was a little short - anybody else agree?

Ran 29:45 but my avg pace was 6:07. So was looking at about 50 secs more if the course was measured correctly.

Surprised at the Race Series, normally expect them to be bang on. Bit annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

1 star (terrible)
    Thanks to organisers, volunteers, marshals etc. weather was ideal for me! was the course a bit short or were the trees playing havoc with my garmin?

Only gripe was the wave 1 start, in all honesty how many of the people in wave one went sub 40?? I ended having a 5 mile fartlek trail run and missing my target time by over a minute! Maybe there should me a 30-35 and a 35-40. I know a lot of people aren't really racing this one but the Khyber was a joke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

estariol wrote: »

Only gripe was the wave 1 start, in all honesty how many of the people in wave one went sub 40?? I ended having a 5 mile fartlek trail run and missing my target time by over a minute! Maybe there should me a 30-35 and a 35-40. I know a lot of people aren't really racing this one but the Khyber was a joke!
    Agreed they definitely need to split up the sub 40 into two waves. Did anyone else see the deer crossing...how they managed to squeeze through the crowd without hitting anyone :)
    Ran a PB of 31:40 so well chuffed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

2 stars (poor)
    Yep course was short. The start was further back Chesterfield last year not besides the Furze Road. Last i saw Sarsfield was bursting bubbles telling people who had a PB that 'ah sure it was short':D.

I started in the first wave and still people not been realistic in where they are starting which is a bit annoying. Can't see what the race organiser can do though. I think that crowd going down the Kybher though is getting a bit dodgy. Lobbed around in 33.06 and won a short prize (lovely bag).

Saw loads of people with the white tech shirt from last year? Where they just giving away the old stock. The new old looks nice. Got soaked on the bike ride home.

Away off to the real sport in Thurles i go!

flipsky wrote: »
    Course was a little short - anybody else agree?

Ran 29:45 but my avg pace was 6:07. So was looking at about 50 secs more if the course was measured correctly.

Surprised at the Race Series, normally expect them to be bang on. Bit annoying.
    Thought it was a little short myself but didn't want to be the one to say it.
    That makes two short races for me in less than a week.
    My garmin clocked 4.88 miles but there not 100% accurate either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

1 star (terrible)
    My first mile did seem a little quick.
    Its not acceptable for these races to be short.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

1 star (terrible)
    Agreed, a short course is a cardinal sin in the running world! and the second one in the last 4 days (BHAA 5K).....really annoying.

Well we have two PB's now that we are probably never going to beat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

3 stars (average)
    42.43 for me. Garmin measured course as 4.88 miles. Bit disappointed tbh that it was short. But v happy with time, would have come in under 44 so would have been pb anyway. Did it in 49:09 last year so def better!

2 stars (poor)
    Was a bit surprised with my time at the end of the first mile too -doing it in 600 flat :eek: Came in 33:59 so over the moon and will use it as a PB as it was windy and almost 1min under previous PB.3 lads almost got knocked over on the last corner when one of the adidas flag things blew down on them.

was hoping for sub 40 after recovering from a chest infection and somehow managed 36.31 so bloody happy with that - know the course was short but i'll still take it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

2 stars (poor)
    My Garmin reading tallies well with others. I had 4.9 miles. Generally the GPS watches are pretty accurate and when measurements are off it's because people haven't followed the race line and therefore run further. Unless you've taken a shortcut (which I seen people doing today) you should not be under the distance. Generally I'd have 5.05-5.1 miles on an accurately measured 5 mile course.

The first mile marker was off. Went through that in 0.9 instead of 1 mile. The rest were correct. I.e 2 miles was 1.9, 3 was 2.9, 4 was 3.9 and 5 was 4.9. It seems the start was ~160 metres further up Chesterfield then it should have been.

I'm really really pissed off. I've been racing sparingly and did everything right for this one including getting a rub down Thursday etc. To make matters worse I ran 26.18 so based on that pace I was actually on for a sub 27 minute PB on a properly measured 5 miles course. I feel a little bit robbed. This has put me in bad form for the weekend.

It's a bit ironic that the Irish runner prints letters recently from people saying there needs to be more quality control in races that are popping up all over the country and then the Irish runner 5 mile race is actually 4.9 miles. I've no interest in technical t-shirts, goodie bags atmosphere etc, just give me an accurate course please.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

4.88 for me too. Just the first mile that was off as there is no way I did 5:10 for it.

Got 29:32 so would have missed the sub 30 in a properly measured course, but that is to be expected with my current training. A race like that getting the distance wrong is unacceptable, excuses can be made for some others as to it being their first time, the Gards changed their mind at the last minute, voulunteers running the event or whatever. The race series have no excuse for such a basic error as putting the start line in the wrong place though.

On the positive side though, I did get name checked by the announcer as I was coming down to the finish line. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

You can see how short it was from the winner's time alright. Almost 30 seconds ahead of what Josphat Boit managed last year.

4 stars (good)
    Beat me to it Hawking. Sub 36 for me, without even trying, thrilled with that as I walked free and easy over the finish line. As I hit the 800m to go mark I looked at the watch and saw I could easily go sub 35 if I wanted, shrugged and though 'sure I don't want to peak too early' :pac: and continued as I was. Dare I go for sub 70 in August?

Edit: My garmin is skewed anyway as it didn't start on the start line and I had to press it again about 10 seconds later to get it going so I had 4.8 when I finished and my garmin was on about .82 when I met the first mile marker.

Edit 2: I find it very unfair that Tunguska got jellies in his goody bag and all I got was bloody chocolate raisins.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Sport101

estariol wrote: »
    Agreed, a short course is a cardinal sin in the running world! and the second one in the last 4 days (BHAA 5K).....really annoying.

Fairly pathetic they can't get the distances right. What's next? A 25.9 mile marathon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

2 stars (poor)

It's a bit ironic that the Irish runner prints letters recently from people saying there needs to be more quality control in races that are popping up all over the country and then the Irish runner 5 mile race is actually 4.9 miles.

Lets see Frank Greally write an apology to all runners in the next Irish Runner. I said it to him afterwards and he didnt seem to care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

2 stars (poor)
    I wonder will any mention of the short distance appear on the website/Irish Runner/anywhere?

When Aware cocked up last year, they admitted their mistake the next working day with a message on their website. Everyone's Garmins can't be wrong (i don't have one btw)

4 stars (good)
    Oh and the short course was Eoin Ryan's fault. :pac:

Aw man, and here was me feeling all fab about my time!
    Finished in 42:32, compared to 44:46 at Sportsworld.
    Really enjoyed it at the time, shame to find out it was short.

2 stars (poor)
    Lets see Frank Greally write an apology to all runners in the next Irish Runner. I said it to him afterwards and he didnt seem to care.

So did I and he didn't even respond to me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭napathy

Exactly, have 39.32 on the chip time but now that is over 40 now. still it is 3 minutes faster than last year. Everything else was great. Really wanted to get a sub 40 this year, anybody know recommend another 5m race in DublinWickow area?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Who do I apply to for reclaiming my travel expenses, come all this way to run 5 miles and they short change me by a couple of hundred meters?

A euro for each meter the course was short by sounds fair. :)

So can someone better with numbers than me give me a formula to see what my time would have been if it had been accurate...I'm pretty sure it was still a pb for me but would like to check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

chinguetti wrote: »
    When Aware cocked up last year, they admitted their mistake the next working day with a message on their website.

I do also recall that they offered everyone a refund...

*stirs pot*

2 stars (poor)

In fairness that's great going at most you can add 55 seconds onto your time. So you were travelling about 12-14 seconds quicker per mile. Todays course is tougher than sportsworld so you've definitely come on. Seems you like me were robbed of a PB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭MaroonTam

My chip time was 32:25 which would have been under my target. I did not feel I was running on target at any point. If the course was short (I had 4.86) my time would have been around 33:15 which still would have been a strong PB. So happy enough.
    Not sure how checky it is to claim the chip time as my PB knowing the course to be short though.... :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement