Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Runner 5 mile 17 July 2010

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

It must have been a good finish between Coughlan and Maher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

2 stars (poor)
    MaroonTam wrote: »
    Not sure how checky it is to claim the chip time as my PB knowing the course to be short though.... :o

As my mammy would say "you are only cheating yourself":)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

2 stars (poor)
    56 minutes I think. Not overly impressed to be honest, but I ran it all except for the two small inclines. My training hadn't got that far, lol.

Not majorly disappointed either though. Thing is, I think my power walk is faster than my jog, because last year I did it in like 59:50 or something - JUST under the hour, but I walked most of it.

What awful weather at the end !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭aero2k

Edit 2: I find it very unfair that Tunguska got jellies in his goody bag and all I got was bloody chocolate raisins.
    I'd have happily swapped my jelly babies for your chocolate raisins!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

2 stars (poor)
    No wait, just checked the web. 52 mins, delighted.

I was thinking the second mile was murder, no wonder I thought that if the first mile was shorter as you say.

A bit annoying. Even though, 53 - I'm delighted with that

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I got jelly babys too. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

2 stars (poor)
    asimonov wrote: »

Yeah surpirised maher was beaten, great run by coughlan though, his track speed probably edged it in the end. I couldnt tell, from nearly 8 mins behind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Jnealon

The poll for this one should be interesting.
    Apart from it being short I enjoyed.
    Who's going to write a letter for the next issue of IR. Doubt they would publish it and may just want to sweep this issue under the carpet

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

Oh and the short course was Eoin Ryan's fault. :pac:

To clarify.....that was a small Joke we shared at the finish line with a few others boardsies.
    Just in case anyone thinks its true... Its not!
    We done to all who took part

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Finish position has me within the top 120, so out of a field that size I'll take that as a result ahead of any time for it which means nothing now. Just call it a fast training run with a tshirt and banana at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

3 stars (average)
    When I did the first mile in 5:07 I knew it was a decent bit off (my 1 mile PB is 5:15).
    I was surprised to finish in 29:47, over a minute faster than last time. My Polar footpod, which measures low, was a good bit lower than previous years.

I am disappointed with the course length inaccuracy. I'll have to put an asterisk beside my time.

2 stars (poor)
    Jnealon wrote: »
    Who's going to write a letter for the next issue of IR. Doubt they would publish it and may just want to sweep this issue under the carpet

I've already got one written. I'm not going to send it in for a week or so though. I need to calm down a little.

Once I came out of the finishing area today a guy from the Irish Independent approached me for my thoughts on the race. I really had to bite my tongue. If I had told him how pissed I was I could have been done for libel

2 stars (poor)
    robinph wrote: »
    Just call it a fast training run with a tshirt and banana at the end.

That cost 20 euro! I have plenty of bananas in my house and I won't be wearing that techinical T as it's a walking(running) advertisement for that poxy race.

OK folks,

I've been on here before asking people not to be too critical of organisers of charity races - ARC, Aware, etc. when the course is short. Those people are fund-raisers, not race organisers, so it's good to shrug your shoulders when things are not perfect.
    As for the race series organisers, well I'd forgive certain things, like the slightly chaotic 5m last year, and some eccentric t-shirt sizes. However, an incorrectly measured course is absolutely unforgiveable. Entry fees totalled over €100k, surely they could have spared €10 for a measuring tape?:(

Okay, rant over. Now for the good points. The weather was perfect, that breeze blowing down Chesterfield Ave was at our backs for the start, and we seemed to avoid the worst of it on military road.

Great to see lots of boardsies - Ral3 passed me before the start, but he'd gone before I could think of his name to shout it, saw Misty Floyd before and after, chinguetti came through in good shape, tunguska had a flyer as usual (as usual he's not happy with the time!), (Arjen) Robinph (Robben) looked fresh from his world cup exploits as he ran 29:xx, and I was delighted to see RQ strolling along after the finish as if she hadn't even got out of breath.

Missed Git101 but fortunately he turned up later - I think he'd had a few problems with traffic in the first couple of miles. (I saw some people up near the front at the start that had no business being there - same old story).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

2 stars (poor)
    My Garmin measured 4.89, more confirmation that the course was short. Everything else about the day was good, but that's a fundamental problem.

38.14 for 4.89 miles :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I've already got one written. I'm not going to send it in for a week or so though. I need to calm down a little.

Once I came out of the finishing area today a guy from the Irish Independent approached me for my thoughts on the race. I really had to bite my tongue. If I had told him how pissed I was I could have been done for libel

Only libel if your wrong ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

asimonov wrote: »

It sure was!! About 200 to go
    38284_466235911958_93951296958_6275375_629839_n.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

4 stars (good)
    Yeah a lot of people in the sub 40 pen who shouldn't have been there. Despite a sub 7 first mile I still ran into a good bit of congestion. Ran with Chinguetti for a while who commented that if we have that many sub 40 5 milers in Ireland we must be better than Kenya! We chatted with ease as we flew down Kyber while all around us huffed and puffed. The amount of people stopping and walking or just plain stopping on Military hill was unreal. I flew past a good hundred runners or so on military hill. Felt sorry for the guy in the sportsworld singlet though who was sitting on the side of the road - looked as if his race ended very early!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

So what do people think the course would have actually measured?

Generally a 5 mile race comes out at 5.05-5.1 on my garmin due to not taking the shortest route. If everyone is finding 4.9/4.89 this would mean the course was probably actually 4.85 at most, 4.8 at least? So between 150 and 200yards short? Thats a long bloody way to be out for a short race?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

3 stars (average)
    Gutted about it being short. It´s such an easy thing to get right.

Is there anyone on here that will be able to confirm the distances for the 10 mile and half?

Only if it's not true.

Felt sorry for the guy in the sportsworld singlet though who was sitting on the side of the road - looked as if his race ended very early!
    He had pulled up in pain just infront of me, there was then someone else a bit further on who pulled up too, but then looked to take the short cut across the fields to the finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭hawkwing

2 stars (poor)
    Lets just hope they don't add on the 150m to DCM '10 to compensate :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

4 stars (good)
    So tempted to post a sarcy remark on the Dublin Marathon facebook page...

2 stars (poor)
    Yeah a lot of people in the sub 40 pen who shouldn't have been there. Despite a sub 7 first mile I still ran into a good bit of congestion.

I think a certain amount of this is inevitable. The bigger races have a higher proportion of people who have no real idea of how fast they aren't. Even if everyone in that group was actually sub-40, but a lot of them started in the wrong place, all the overtaking would lead to a lot of congestion.

It would be interesting though, to see a statistical analysis of the clock and chip times for all runners. I wonder how many people had a chip time over 45.xx, and a clock time within 30 seconds of their chip?

• Advertisement

So tempted to post a sarcy remark on the Dublin Marathon facebook page...

See no reason not to. It is part of the same race series, these races are the build up to that and for an experienced race organisers to make such a mistake they deserve the error to be publisiced.

Other than giving them a couple of days to come out with an apology/ explanation themselves first...maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

1 star (terrible)
    I knew when I ran the first mile in 4:59 that it was short, and there was never a "long" mile to balance it out. I could see on the Garmin with 800m to go that I was going to smash my PB, but that the course was going to be well short.

Ran 27:29 in the end, and my Garmin stopped at 7.80 km (as opposed to 8.045 km), so 205 metres short. About 40 to 42 seconds in my case so an adjusted time of 28:10 would be about fair. It's still a 5 second PB, but of course it doesn't count.

Not very impressed, to say the least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

2 stars (poor)
    Well if runners remarked to people from the 'Irish Runner' about the course been short and got no reply/were ignored, i think that it would be a big turnaround to admit that the race was short and apologise directly to people by email.

Would also be a very big lost of face for the Irish Runner/DCM Race Series to have a race short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

3 stars (average)
    In the results, what is the difference between Time and Real Time? I figured one is the chip time and one is the clock time, but that doesn't make sense for me - my time is 41.29, realtime is 40.09 but the clock was about 46 minutes when I crossed!

Edit: I started in the second wave!

Did you start in the second wave?

• Advertisement

1 star (terrible)
    eoin ryan wrote: »
    To clarify.....that was a small Joke we shared at the finish line with a few others boardsies.
    Just in case anyone thinks its true... Its not!
    We done to all who took part

To be fair to Eoin, I've always found his courses to be accurate to the metre!

And I got jelly babies as well. About the best part of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

3 stars (average)
    You guys are killing me saying the course was short. I've just checked the results and I came in 39:48. So 'technically' I didn't do a sub 40 atall.
    I don't care though, am delighted with my time.:D

I had originally hopped into the front of the second wave, but just before the race start, I had a change of heart and felt that a sub 40 was possible, so jumped into the back of the first wave. Boy, should I have moved up further, the amount of people I overtook for the first 2 miles was ridiculous. I actually overtook a girl who was walking and this was maybe 800m into the race :(. I was boxed in so many times, often by a group of people running alongside each other having a chat.
    I get that maybe some people didn't realise what they were doing, maybe the stewards could just alert people to the fact that it is a sub 40 wave when people are entering..... just a polite reminder.

All in all though, am thrilled with my time and my performance, I really gave it 100% :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

chinguetti wrote: »
    Yep course was short. The start was further back Chesterfield last year not besides the Furze Road.

Yep, someone must have erected the starting arch/area at the wrong marker on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

2 stars (poor)
    Gutted about the distance being short, how much effort does it take to measure a course properly thats on public roads and advertised all year ???

Was coming in handy under 40 as was 6:30 (yeah right) for mile 1 and hit ordnance survery with plenty to spare to took the last mile at my ease thinking everything was fine....

Organisers need to be hung out to dry for this as they haven't delivered the event the advertised.

Started up about a minute back from the front, there was only a sub 40 pen as far as I heard ?????
    Find the arrogance of some mid pack runners here funny giving out about people starting too high up when the same people have never come close to Xhr marathons lining up high up the fields :pac:

1 star (terrible)
    T runner wrote: »
    Yep, someone must have erected the starting arch/area at the wrong marker on the road.

That's the most likely explanation tbh. After the first mile marker, all the others were bang on, so it looks like it's a case of the start arch being 150 to 200 metres too far down Chesterfirld Avenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

3 stars (average)
    All the threes for me 33:33 on my FR for 4.9mls. 30th in my age group. I did'nt really care it was short as I was using it as a training run and with the 'Plod' run tomorrow I was just cruising, but I can see why others would be annoyed. If you look at page 35 in the souvenir training diary in your goodybag you'll see the 'Irish Runner' is looking for feedback for the race - editor@irishrunner.ie. Don't be too harsh. Apart from the short course it was well organised and value for money - Apart from the short course:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Jnealon

From reading through the posts I'm seeing a lot of words like gutted, annoyed angry etc. I
    Personally I'm not bothered but then I don't take these races too seriously.
    I came in just under the 30 mins so that is my new target for my next 5 miler

I did get a giggle when I saw "GO LANCE" painted on the road, brought back memories.

2 stars (poor)
    Jnealon wrote: »
    From reading through the posts I'm seeing a lot of words like gutted, annoyed angry etc.

For me it's the double annoyance/disappointment -
    • when I crossed the line, I thought I had a great time, but that doesn't count
    • if the course had been the right length my time wouldn't have been as good, but it would still have been a PB
    but since the course length was wrong, I don't get either of those times.

I could forgive other races for being a bit out, and 4.88 isn't that huge. It is far enough out to be unacceptable for this series of races though, and it is more than just a couple of cut corners out in a race that short.

Race report here, post #44.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

Hey all, well that is my first race done and I really enjoyed it. Came in at 41:56 I went in wave 2 guess i should add another 1 minute since everyone is saying it was a bit short? Didn't feel like it to me ;-)

Had to stop a few times because of a very bad stitch but besides that delighted with it for my first race event. Roll on the 10 mile run next month.

Thanks to all the organisers and supporters around.

Now to put the feet up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

3 stars (average)
    Well this was my first ever race and I ran it in 47:12 compared to 49:30 last time I done the same course while training. Not sure how much the course being short would have added to this but I am confident of a personal best. Personally I'm not overly effected by this but I can appreciate how frustrating and annoying it would be for those taking things that bit more seriously / comparing to other race times etc.

I also found congestion on the first mile and a half down the pass which was very frustrating even for me as a beginner. I went to the back of wave 2 at the start and was held up by slower runners / congestion. Ultimately the slower pace may have helped in that I was able to get up the hills without stopping which is a first for me.

All in all though I enjoyed the experience. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

2 stars (poor)
    Ran like absolute crap, finished in pretty much 42 dead. Shouldn't really have expected anything different based on recent training though, but still a pain. Hopefully I can string together a few good weeks now and get a decent 10 mile PB next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Timing Chip...

According to the website my results are as follows;
    Time: 00:33:20
    Real Time: 00:32:41

However I am damn certain I crossed the line at a displayed 33:20...?
    Ah whatever though I won't lose too much sleep over it.

I picked up a rivalry with another run in the last 200 or so meters. We kept going in front of and behind of each other toward the finish line and eventually both sprinted toward the goal... and I got there first :)
    It's the little things that make it all fun

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Timing Chip...

Ah whatever though I won't lose too much sleep over it.

That would be correct then? Displayed time st finish 33.20, chip time 32.41. You took 39s to cross start after gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Timing Chip...

Em I just re-read that, I originally read the 32:41 as 33:41.
    I'm sure your all thinking of that Patrick Stewart facepalm thing... my bad...:o

Timing Chip...

This means that you took 33:20 from the time the siren went off until you crossed the finish line, and you took 39 secs from siren (i.e.actual start) to cross the timing mat at the start.

The clock displays time from the siren/gun going off, chip times are worked out by computer later.

copacetic beat me to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

aero2k wrote: »
    OK folks,

I've been on here before asking people not to be too critical of organisers of charity races - ARC, Aware, etc. when the course is short. Those people are fund-raisers, not race organisers, so it's good to shrug your shoulders when things are not perfect.
    As for the race series organisers, well I'd forgive certain things, like the slightly chaotic 5m last year, and some eccentric t-shirt sizes. However, an incorrectly measured course is absolutely unforgiveable. Entry fees totalled over €100k, surely they could have spared €10 for a measuring tape?:(

Okay, rant over. Now for the good points. The weather was perfect, that breeze blowing down Chesterfield Ave was at our backs for the start, and we seemed to avoid the worst of it on military road.

Great to see lots of boardsies - Ral3 passed me before the start, but he'd gone before I could think of his name to shout it, saw Misty Floyd before and after, chinguetti came through in good shape, tunguska had a flyer as usual (as usual he's not happy with the time!), (Arjen) Robinph (Robben) looked fresh from his world cup exploits as he ran 29:xx, and I was delighted to see RQ strolling along after the finish as if she hadn't even got out of breath.

Missed Git101 but fortunately he turned up later - I think he'd had a few problems with traffic in the first couple of miles. (I saw some people up near the front at the start that had no business being there - same old story).

Now I know it was yourself that I passed Aero, wasn't sure at the time(terrible memory for names & faces). Apologies not not saying hello!

Well done today, very good reading in your report.

Very happy with my run, reckoned it was a definite pb even allowing for the extra distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

1 star (terrible)
    Can't find my result online:confused:
    When I put my race number or surname in nothing comes up
    Went through each of the pages manually and can't see any record:confused:
    Now I will be seriously peeved if the chip doesn't have a record
    Crossed the line in 47 15 or so by the clock but should be around 45 when chip time is counted. Any advice?

Was in wave 2 and thought there were way too many people in the race, never got running until well after mile 1, actually on the hill up military road was the first place where you got any space, I was still passing people walking etc around mile 4. Overall I didn't really like the race as there were too many people, there weren't enough loos and the bag drop wasn't well marhsalled as in I was queueing in one line for a while until somebody mentioned that you needed to be in the line that corresponded with your number.

I'll be really really bothered if there is no record of my result though that would cap it

Actually just found my result on the marathon website and it says I came in at 41.01- Jesus 4.8,4.9 or 5 miles and I'm bloody delighted with that! I could go under 40 easily enough were I to train again for a 5 mile! Absolutely chuffed now- comments about numbers in the race though still stand

• Advertisement

The loos issue was an improvement on other times, well for the blokes at least, as they had some plastic trees for us to use. Picking up my bag at the end did take far longer than it should though and there only seemed to be a queue for the tent where my bag was, no queues at any other tent. Then it started to rain a bit.

Advertisement