Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Runner 5 mile 17 July 2010

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm going to wear that super low cut tank top to the 10 miler!

Right, I'm not running the 10 now. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

3 stars (average)
    :( I hate it when I don't get a photo on racepix, that's 3 races in a row....what do I have to do??? I'm going to wear that super low cut tank top to the 10 miler!

I'm sure that'll work for Stupid Private alright :D Although he can be a little slow on the draw and get some very unflattering photos sometimes - case in point the one he took of me in Cork (not on the site!!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

3 stars (average)
    daymobrew wrote: »
    Nerd from the M35 category reporting...
    Using Burgman's 39/40 equation the 146 metres discrepancy, I have written a PHP script to give precise adjusted times.
    Try it out: Short Course Corrector

PS The winning time goes from 23:49 to 24:25 24:15. 2009 winner was 24:14. That seems more realistic.
    Script updated to use 146 metres as the discrepancy. This is an 1.8% error rather than a 2.5% error that Burgman's calculations determined. Everyone gets faster! :p

PS The calculations are at the bottom of the page. If they are wrong please let me know (and tell me what they should be).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

4 stars (good)
    That has me closer to what I worked out for myself than the other one anyway. I'd put myself at about 36:30 that has me 36:36.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

3 stars (average)
    :( I hate it when I don't get a photo on racepix, that's 3 races in a row....what do I have to do??? I'm going to wear that super low cut tank top to the 10 miler!
    No pic of me either, I've never found a pic of myself on Racepix, I obviously repel the camera:o Might get a lend of that lowcut top.... My amended time is 43:32, which I'm happy enough with, would def have been a pb.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭fungirl1

Dolly..honestly you shouldn't - you should see the two for me that are up there...they are probably 2 of the worst photos EVER taken of me..honestly!!:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Poll open, sorry for the delay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

3 stars (average)
    Difficult one. The short course must lose points, but it did'nt really affect me as I was using it as a training run, but for others it was very annoying. Apart from that, could'nt really fault the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

2 stars (poor)
    Well it was certainly a PB for everyone but apart from the course issue, the rest was ok.

However, i discovered that i got a sample bottle of perfume that yer one out of the Black Eyed Pea is endorsing in my goodie bag. That concerns me more than the short course all of a sudden:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

chinguetti wrote: »
    However, i discovered that i got a sample bottle of perfume that yer one out of the Black Eyed Pea is endorsing in my goodie bag. That concerns me more than the short course all of a sudden:eek:

Was laughing my ass off at that perfume sampler alright, seemed a lil out of place.

On a personal note, this was my first race ever. I put myself in the 40-50 wave, but ended up just tearing past people for the whole thing and came in at 35:58 apparently, so I'm delighted. Hopefully for the half marathon I won't be trapped behind joggers for the whole thing and I can actually work up a sweat :pac:

edit: And the deer bursting out of the undergrowth as I came past were completely :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

2 stars (poor)
    Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Athmosphere, Value, Organisation

Hmm this is a tough one

Scenery- I love the park so full marks (1 mark).

PB potential- Before hand I would have said poor PB potential but this is not true, however short course reduces marks (0.2 marks)

Athmosphere Guy on PA was an embarrassment, he use to do schools as well and as a 15 yr old I thought he was out of touch. I'm 32 now and I still have the same opinion. Apart from that it wasn't too bad although no reception area/tent aftwerward (ala BHAA) reduces marks (0.5 marks)

Value I think 20 euro for a one off race is too expensive. I know the cost reduces if you enter multiple races in the series but still. (0.5 marks)

Organisation For me it was spot on except for dodgy course measurement (0.5 marks)

That leaves me with 2.7 which I'll roundup to 3. If course have of been bang on a 4 would have easily been achieved. If I wasn't close to a PB maybe short course would not have bothered me as much.

3 stars (average)
    Love it, send the URL to the DCM site and see if they link to it :D
    I posted it to the custom graphic too. You have to go to the 'Others' tab to see it.

3 stars (average)
    Following up from my post where I said that the results were out of (chip time) order, TDS have informed me that sorting by finish time (not chip time) is the correct order, as per IAFF Competition Rules 165.24.c (3.6MB PDF).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Wasn't there another photographer on the way around? He had a big sign with the name of the website, but I can't remember it...

3 stars (average)
    Kooli wrote: »
    Wasn't there another photographer on the way around? He had a big sign with the name of the website, but I can't remember it...
    There was one on the left about 400m after the start. It had a tagline like "Memories you can afford" but I can't remember the company/site name either.

There was one on the left about 400m after the start. It had a tagline like "Memories you can afford" but I can't remember the company/site name either.

Actually never mind, I just found myself on the Racepix site and I don't think I ever need to see a picture of myself running again!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

I think this is the crowd that were near the start - http://clickitee.com/viewCategoryAlbums.aspx?CategoryID=30

Patrick_K wrote: »
    I think this is the crowd that were near the start - http://clickitee.com/viewCategoryAlbums.aspx?CategoryID=30

Ah yes they're the ones. And they were on the right at 4 miles, that's the one I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

1 star (terrible)
    Nerd from the M35 category reporting...
    Using Burgman's 39/40 equation, I have written a PHP script to give precise adjusted times.
    Try it out: Short Course Corrector

OK, now I'm really annoyed. That gives me an adjusted time of 27:59, quite possible the only time in my life that I would have been under 28 minutes.

I'd better wait a few minutes before filling out the poll.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 decboy

Ok Im a newbie to this, ran Sat at a chip time 40:40 in wave 2 so happy with that, training runs had been about the 44mins mark and preps for this race were hampered in the last 2 wks with very little running done at all.
    Can anyone explain a few of the abbrevs for me. No glossary on the tds site to say whats what. OK i understand POS as thats my overall position from when the gun went til i came in but I was in wave 2 near back so there was about a good 6 mins gap. What is the abbrev Pos. M/W stand for? Looking forward to more runs this year, really enjopyed this event, had the nerves before race but the happy atmosphere before the start really settled me. well done to organisers, looking forward to 10 mile event.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

That will be the overall Men/ women position that you got, there will also be a position for within a more specific category as well for male/ female age groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

3 stars (average)
    First race for me as well, really enjoyed the day, ran 42.45 chip time..I was thinking I'd be around 48 mins so happy with that, I kind of hit a flat spot between 3 and 4 miles (I kept thinking I'd never see the 4 mile mark:))...but once I did I kicked on a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭smunchkins

Having read the comments about the amount of "misplaced" walkers and joggers in the wrong pen, I wonder if this might be to do with kilometres and miles and confusing the two?
    I know more experienced runners switch between each with great ease, but perhaps the more casual fun runners see the number "5" and just think, "ah thats nice and low, I'm sure I can do that in under 40!".
    Personally I always pace in my head in kmph, and it really is quite hard to remind myself to switch it round for mile races.
    Not that this will help with the problem of course, just thought I'd comment on the psychological aspect!
    I can't think of any obvious solution to the congestion unless they start insisting on seeing proof of previous race form, which would be a nightmare to administer.

Possible that people don't appreciate the difference between a mile and a kilometre measured race, but surely when looking round at the people your stood near at the start people should be able to guess that they are not going to be able to run as fast as the guys next to them would be able to walk. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

3 stars (average)
    The women's mini marathon organisers require proof of times in order to put runners in the correct start position and that works pretty well.
    Why couldn't they do it for the adidas race series too?

• Advertisement

jcsmum wrote: »
    The women's mini marathon organisers require proof of times in order to put runners in the correct start position and that works pretty well.
    Why couldn't they do it for the adidas race series too?

I guess they could, though I suppose it depends how much time and scrutiny it would take. I've no idea how many staff/volunteers the two races have in proportion to participants, but I would guess the WMM have more?
    5 milers aren't as common either if requiring PBs from people, though I suppose they could have a rolling cut off for if you have done any standard distance race. (e.g. you could get into the sub 40 pen for the 5 mile if you ran a sub 50 10k)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭brennarr

3 stars (average)
    It was my first race to run too. Ran it with a chip time of 30.52 so I was happy enough with that. I felt I could of got a sub 30if there wasnt so many slow people taking up space in the first wave. It was so annoying that with the pace some people were going there wasnt a chance they would get a sub 40 and it prevents other runners who want to try and get a good time

3 stars (average)
    robinph wrote: »
    Possible that people don't appreciate the difference between a mile and a kilometre measured race, but surely when looking round at the people your stood near at the start people should be able to guess that they are not going to be able to run as fast as the guys next to them would be able to walk. :D

Until they look at me, short, fat and was barely able to hold 10:00/mile during my warm-up... But I think I justified my place in the sub-40 pen with 36:21?! :rolleyes:

xebec wrote: »
    Until they look at me, short, fat and was barely able to hold 10:00/mile during my warm-up... But I think I justified my place in the sub-40 pen with 36:21?! :rolleyes:

Cool! (on the time I mean :p )
    Thats the whole point though, people often believe they can tell a fast/(or faster than them) runner just by looking at a person, but it is frequently not the case. The amount of skinny ninny girls I've seen in other races (I didn't do this one) geared up in the latest fashion (Or a strapless bra! :eek: ) (I really did see this in Cork, God help her) who push to the top of the time group as they look round and see older/plumper people ahead of them can be extremely annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I watched the the start of the race from the sideline and could'nt believe some of the people in the first few waves. Some of them were walking down the first hill after a mile. Unbelievable! Of course they were walking in 3's and 4's wide like something of a Bon Jovi album cover so that no-one could get pass them either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

2 stars (poor)
    yeah the 1st wave was brutal - tons in there that couldn't make the first hill! ridiculous trying to get past them. Also ridiculous trying to get past them all at the start.

I feel real cheated now too over the distance - my phone showed 4.91 but I thought the gps was just off. bah that ruined my pb this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Just read the article about it been short.

I would'nt be to bothered by it, whats a hundred meters amoung friend eh. With all the side-ways running and swerving that was done to avoid the slow coaches, you probably made up the distance anyway! ha

4 stars (good)
    I still gave it 5 stars, probably being kind but the only downfall really was the short course. I wasn't out for a pb on Saturday so it didn't bother me that much that the course was short. I run in the park all the time so scenery doesn't bother me, atmosphere is always good at these races and they are good value when you register for all three in the series at once. Organisation in these races in always good. The organisers have accepted responsibility for the error as well which has redeemed them a bit.

2 stars (poor)
    My personal favourites of people who might have been in the wrong wave (i was in the first wave) were the girl who appeared to be on her hen as she had a veil and a sash with 'bride to be' on it and the guy who i met going up the Glen with a teddy bear/bag of what appeared to be a Star Wars figure on his back.

As RQ has remarked earlier in the thread, my comment about the Irish and the Kenyans seems to be a bit wrong!! I think the deer might have been taking a bit of revenge from the running gods though:rolleyes:

And btw, i completed in just over 33 mins so i was in the correct wave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

2 stars (poor)
    My personal favourites of people who might have been in the wrong wave (i was in the first wave) were the girl who appeared to be on her hen as she had a veil and a sash with 'bride to be' on it

She was mentioned in the paper today - she completed it in approx. 36 minutes! So she was in the right wave!

2 stars (poor)
    runrabbit wrote: »
    She was mentioned in the paper today - she completed it in approx. 36 minutes! So she was in the right wave!

which paper ? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

1 star (terrible)
    which paper ? Thanks

Indo
    Big spread on race forgetting to mention the course was short and then a few pages of results later in the sports section

3 stars (average)
    Some of them were walking down the first hill after a mile. Unbelievable! Of course they were walking in 3's and 4's wide like something of a Bon Jovi album cover so that no-one could get pass them either.
    This would be a good issue for the organisers to be aware of - maybe they could place a few stewards on the Kyber Pass to direct such groups to go single file.

This will probably not be an issue for the 10 mile as it should be well spread out by the time it goes to the narrow roads on the south side of the Phoenix Park. Having said that, the narrow roads beside the zoo might warrant some attention.

3 stars (average)
    My personal favourites of people who might have been in the wrong wave (i was in the first wave) were the girl who appeared to be on her hen as she had a veil and a sash with 'bride to be' on it and the guy who i met going up the Glen with a teddy bear/bag of what appeared to be a Star Wars figure on his back.

That was Dominika, a very good BHAA runner who beat her fiancé home by two seconds - they'll be married for the next race... No problem with her being in the first wave - again proving it's hard to judge by appearances!

And I loved that backpack with Yoda hanging out of it, only saw him before the race but it was cool :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

The organisers have accepted responsibility for the error as well which has redeemed them a bit.

No mention of it on their website - http://dublinmarathon.ie/...just curious - where/how have they done that?

• Advertisement

geld wrote: »
    No mention of it on their website - http://dublinmarathon.ie/...just curious - where/how have they done that?

They just made a comment on their Facebook page, not sure about anywhere else.

2 stars (poor)

Well, don't i feel a fool!:( I'll think before i type in future or try to

3 stars (average)

Well normally you would have been right ;) Was thinking about how much of a happy wet Deise you'd were in Thurles on Saturday night ;)

4 stars (good)

I thought the same when I first saw her. She finished either just ahead of or just behind me, her friends jumped onto the course(in my way) as we ran down towards the finish line anyway, I can't remember whether I passed her or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 andyrew5000

3 stars (average)
    I started fairly close to the top of the second wave and finished in 35.53, couldnt believe the amount of people I passed out, far too many people started sub 40 but got nowhere near it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭dtf

I started fairly close to the top of the second wave and finished in 35.53, couldnt believe the amount of people I passed out, far too many people started sub 40 but got nowhere near it

Well done on a great time, but in fairness if you finished in 35'53 you should have started well inside the first wave. The people you passed out may not have been the ones that started in the wrong wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭papamike

3 stars (average)
    This was my first race in about 9 months and only back training consitently for about 5 weeks so was not aiming for a pb or anything near it. Plan was for three miles at 8:00min pace and see if I had anything in the tank for last 2 miles so started in the back quarter of the first wave.

Got a bit of a shock when I hit 1 mile in 6:50:eek:. While the short mile explains it now at the time I eased off and covered the next 2 in 7:42 and 8:15...more hill training needed maybe:D Finished with a 7:23 and a 7:13 for a 37:23 which I was very happy with but that short first mile really threw me.

Hate repeating other complaints but passed loads of people in the first two miles who had no business being in the first wave. Seems a consistent problem and can't blame organisers as they have put the pens there and the race MC mentioned them loads of times....Who is that guy by the way? Didn't know whether to laugh or cringe at times:) Roll on the 10 mile.

2 stars (poor)
    papamike wrote: »
    MC mentioned them loads of times....Who is that guy by the way? Didn't know whether to laugh or cringe at times:) Roll on the 10 mile.

"They've stopped the open in St Andrews to watch the 5 miler, there's nothing going on in Croke park, Inniesta got up early to watch this race. Torres was going to run but has a hamstring injury"

Seriously he said that, not word for word but that's the general jist. Was just really really sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

2 stars (poor)
    robinph wrote: »
    They just made a comment on their Facebook page, not sure about anywhere else.

Yeah, they really need to say something a bit more high profile than the 20th comment on a Facebook post. Either an email to all entrants or something on the marathon page.

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    "They've stopped the open in St Andrews to watch the 5 miler, there's nothing going on in Croke park, Inniesta got up early to watch this race. Torres was going to run but has a hamstring injury"

Seriously he said that, not word for word but that's the general jist. Was just really really sad.
    I find him quite amusing (though I know someone a few pages back really dislikes him). It must be tough to keep talking for as long as he does. I couldn't do it without trying to put a CD on.

Advertisement