Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dole / Job Seekers / Allowances & Mature Student

• 29-06-2010 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

I had a quick look through the FAQ sticky at the top of the page but couldnt really see anything that could relate to my future situation.

Im no good at this stuff, iv never signed on or received any benefits so i have no clue how it works.

Basically iv been working full time for 2.5 years now and before that i was also working but it was always part time. I took a paycut last year and had to move back home (was previously renting) and i am currently paying some keep towards household costs etc.

Anyway im hoping to return to college full time in September but im just curious where it puts me if i cant find any part time work? I will be going through as a Mature Student (24 on Entry) so im curious will i be entitled to claim the dole or any job seekers or any other allowances upon returning to college ? I know students arent entitled to benefits but im curious if the situation is different for mature students? The job isnt going anywhere and while i hate the idea of leaving a job going back to college would be the best option for me and my future career.

Anyways any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Also would the fact i had to move back home hinder the chances of receiving any benefit or affect my grant oppertunity if anyone knows?

Thanks alot!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

MarkJD wrote: »
    Hey All,

I had a quick look through the FAQ sticky at the top of the page but couldnt really see anything that could relate to my future situation.

Im no good at this stuff, iv never signed on or received any benefits so i have no clue how it works.

Basically iv been working full time for 2.5 years now and before that i was also working but it was always part time. I took a paycut last year and had to move back home (was previously renting) and i am currently paying some keep towards household costs etc.

Anyway im hoping to return to college full time in September but im just curious where it puts me if i cant find any part time work? I will be going through as a Mature Student (24 on Entry) so im curious will i be entitled to claim the dole or any job seekers or any other allowances upon returning to college ? I know students arent entitled to benefits but im curious if the situation is different for mature students? The job isnt going anywhere and while i hate the idea of leaving a job going back to college would be the best option for me and my future career.

Anyways any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Also would the fact i had to move back home hinder the chances of receiving any benefit or affect my grant oppertunity if anyone knows?

Thanks alot!

if your working at the minute then you wont qualify for any schemes regarding college as you have to be claiming JSA/JSB for 6 months or 152 days prior to course starting however if you are claiming JSA/JSB then you can apply for back to education allowance see the end of this link
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/sw19/Pages/sw19_sect7.aspx
    this is the form
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Forms/Documents/bte1.pdf

if you are working you may be entitled to a grant
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/education/third-level-education/fees-and-supports-for-third-level-education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

edellc wrote: »
    if your working at the minute then you wont qualify for any schemes regarding college as you have to be claiming JSA/JSB for 6 months or 152 days prior to course starting however if you are claiming JSA/JSB then you can apply for back to education allowance see the end of this link
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/sw19/Pages/sw19_sect7.aspx
    this is the form
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Forms/Documents/bte1.pdf

if you are working you may be entitled to a grant
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/education/third-level-education/fees-and-supports-for-third-level-education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses

Thanks very much for this info. Picking up on the first part i think this is a complete joke, whats the reasoning behind not letting someome claim JSB/JSA just because they where working? Bit of a slap in the face.. Is their thinking that just because im working i should save what i can now and live off it? Cant afford that have to pay or clear as much of my bills as possible. Typical though..

Ill check out the grant situation though, thanks a bunch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 JellyBeana

Hey Mark,

I was in the same boat, quit my job last year to go back to college as a mature student. Your parents income will have to be assessed to check if you are eligible for the grant if you are living at home but on the upside, if you have stamps built up from working then you can claim JSA during the summer months :) Trying to get it sorted myself at the moment, it doesn't make up for being broke the rest of the year but at least you know you can have the summer to chill and take a break and still get a few quid :)

JellyBeana wrote: »
    Hey Mark,

I was in the same boat, quit my job last year to go back to college as a mature student. Your parents income will have to be assessed to check if you are eligible for the grant if you are living at home but on the upside, if you have stamps built up from working then you can claim JSA during the summer months :) Trying to get it sorted myself at the moment, it doesn't make up for being broke the rest of the year but at least you know you can have the summer to chill and take a break and still get a few quid :)

Hey Jelly,

Thanks for the reply. Good to hear your getting something at least. Cant beleive the grant will be based of parents income still.... Iv had to move back home because of paycuts etc lol. They already have enough of their own bills, basically if i dont qualify for the grant i have to get another loan? Dont think ill be even able to do that.. Seems all a bit unfair but what can you do.

I do undestand it being means tested as a student but as a mature student seems a bit rich.

The thing about the JSA, i wont be leaving my job until the 25th of August so i wont really have the summer to accumalate any income. Will i be able to claim the JSA while looking for a part-time job while attending college?

Nope, unfortunately not. Tried the same thing myself when I quit my job 'cause I had rent and stuff to pay and they were really slow paying out the grant and I had nothing but there isn't anything you can get from them. Most colleges have financial assistance services if you talk to the welfare officer in your student union. It's not alot but it helps. Best of luck on the job front, was hoping to find a part time job myself so I could cover rent and stuff but was never able to get anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Hey Mark,

That's not what the JSA/JSB is for. That's commiting fraud, just so you know ;)

Social welfare is not something you take to "chill" and take a "break"...

It's not fraud, I haven't lied and I am looking for work but there's very little where I am at the moment and once the grant money runs out I still have rent a bills to pay. What I was saying is that if someone is in that situation where they still have alot of outgoings with no income then at least if you have stamps you can claim JSB or whatever to cover you until next semester and the grant comes again.

My situation maybe changing soon in that I won't be living at home but renting with a friend, with regards the grant because I'm not at home will it still be subject to parents income or means tested? What if I don't have a job come time of college would I nearly be guaranteed a grant?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

It's not fraud, I haven't lied and I am looking for work but there's very little where I am at the moment and once the grant money runs out I still have rent a bills to pay. What I was saying is that if someone is in that situation where they still have alot of outgoings with no income then at least if you have stamps you can claim JSB or whatever to cover you until next semester and the grant comes again.

You said you wanted to chill for the summer? Take a break? Social welfare is not for that. It's for helping people out that need that help. By all means avail of it, but don't "chill" for the summer on it. Keep looking for work and when a job comes around, take it.

You cannot cover yourself for until the next semester. You will not get social welfare if you are going back to college. Gotta find a way to pay the bills, you may find some part time work, would that tide you over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭OmeGar

MarkJD wrote: »
    Picking up on the first part i think this is a complete joke, whats the reasoning behind not letting someome claim JSB/JSA just because they where working?

Just to try and explain some of this. When in full time education you are not available for or seeking fulltime employment, and so you have no entitlement to JSA/JSB.

Many years back, in an effort to fight long term unemployment the governement of the day intrduced a special exemption scheme fot LT Unemployed to get into education, and thus helping them return to the work force.

Over time the period you need to be unemployed to get on the BTE exemption has come down, but it's goal is still the same, get people who are unemployed back into education.

In your case it might seem like a "Bit of a slap in the face", but it is not one aimed at you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement