Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Network

• 29-06-2010 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

First off I know very little about networking so I am probably making an obvious mistake. I am having a problem with my home network. I have 2 pc's, my main pc (Windows 7) has 3 hard drives and all are shared but my secondary pc (XP)can only read 1 hard drive.

HDD1 - Partitioned "C" and "D" drives, D drive can be accessed
    HDD2 - "E" Drive can't be accessed but my documents is on the E drive and can be accessed
    HDD3 - "J" Drive can't be accessed, This contains all my music and want to share it.

They are all WD 250GB sata drives.

My second machine can access the printer also with no problems, i have checked and all the hard drives have the same sharing settings. They are both on the same workgroup and can see each other but i just cant access some of it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

First off I know very little about networking so I am probably making an obvious mistake. I am having a problem with my home network. I have 2 pc's, my main pc (Windows 7) has 3 hard drives and all are shared but my secondary pc (XP)can only read 1 hard drive.

HDD1 - Partitioned "C" and "D" drives, D drive can be accessed
    HDD2 - "E" Drive can't be accessed but my documents is on the E drive and can be accessed
    HDD3 - "J" Drive can't be accessed, This contains all my music and want to share it.

They are all WD 250GB sata drives.

My second machine can access the printer also with no problems, i have checked and all the hard drives have the same sharing settings. They are both on the same workgroup and can see each other but i just cant access some of it.

it looks like a permission / inheritance issue to me.. if the xp machhine doesnt have an account on the vista machine you are looking at adding everyone to both drive and share permissions (the most restrictive wins out).. i think you should get someone with a bit of computer knowledge to help out if unsure..

Advertisement