Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Absolute beginner, what about this bike?

• 29-06-2010 4:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Want to get a new pastime, spending way too much time in front of tv and computer.

There are some good main roads (with big margins) near me and I would like to try cycling. The only bikes I have ever owned have been mountain bikes, and only when I was a kid->teen years

I took a look at the halfords website and I saw this offer http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_759101_langId_-1_categoryId_212536

What would you think of that bike for a beginner? Ideally I would like to cycle a few miles a day to get used to cycling again.

Any and all advice gladly accepted, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

For that budget you're better off buying something used, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Hi Lumen, thanks for reply, is that because the bike I posted is bad quality? My worry is that if I buy a used bike, I wont have a clue what to look for in terms of things being worn, or broken or faulty, or structural damage to frame etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭ithread

Hi tw0nk

I recently bought a second hand bike as I wanted to get more exercise by cycling to work etc. There is always a risk that it will lie unused if you don't get into it so might be a good idea to buy a decent second hand bike?
    I know its hard to know if you're buying a good second hand but you can do a bit of research and find what makes are reliable? I think Giant and Raliegh are good - as well as Dawes and Kellys.

Hope this helps and happy cycling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@tw0nk: what height are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

tw0nk wrote: »
    Hi Lumen, thanks for reply, is that because the bike I posted is bad quality? My worry is that if I buy a used bike, I wont have a clue what to look for in terms of things being worn, or broken or faulty, or structural damage to frame etc.

then it time to start researching. spend the day on adverts or dondeal and have a look at what is going for what. with a budget of 400 you want at least these parts on the bike (i sure this is gobbledegook to you atm, but with 1 hours research you should be up on it) at least: tiagra shifters (105's would be great) with tiagra front and rear deraileurs (anything with sora or 2300 is overpriced at that level secondhand). good frame makes are, felt (my peronal favorate), specialized, giant, cannondale, ridley, focus, cube, planet x, trek. there are many more, buts thats to name a few.

if you do get into cycling you want rid of the carrers in a few month, believe me, and you get half what ypu paid for. it too cheap imo. by all means post a link to an ad and we can advise you if its a good deal. as to the condition, you have to use your own judgement. normally any bikes on here are sold by honest people, how will help above making a sale, well i like to hope anyway.

goodluck

• Advertisement
Advertisement