Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science

• 29-06-2010 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Ive been reading these forums for a while now and throughout my leaving and not many posts have mentioned CS. If it has most people have applied at UCC. Ive just been wondering is there many people interested it and if so what do you think the points will be around??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Well I'm hoping to do Computer science & IT at NUI Galway which was around 315 points last year..

Heres some info from another poster on that Course
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53789574&postcount=20

And an entire thread on it in the NUIG forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055653263

As for the UCC Computer science course, it hasnt budged from being 300 points since around 2003, apparently the places never completely fill up. I'd say its possible that there will be a small increase in the points for that course but it's hard to tell with the record CAO applicants this year.

Here's a couple of threads about CS in Ucc
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055589988
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055654016

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

I'll just have a guess at it for the craic :pac:

hmm 330 points is my guesstimate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

I don't think think it will go up, 300 is my guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

I'm going for CS in UCC myself. I hope ta fúck I'll get it. If it does go up, hopefully not by too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Curious as to whether CS in UCD will go up by much, seeing as CS through arts has been closed off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Doritogasm

300 for CS would definately make my day. But i really do think it will be a lot higher!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 114 ✭✭UglyFuc

points in 08 were 325
    points in 09 were 350
    any idea what points might be this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

UglyFuc wrote: »
    points in 08 were 325
    points in 09 were 350
    any idea what points might be this year?
    375:D......no it's hard to tell.I know cs in nuig is very likely to not rise too much as the cao sent out a text telling people to look it up so hopefully that means there's very little applicants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭barry181091

gant0 wrote: »
    375:D......no it's hard to tell.I know cs in nuig is very likely to not rise too much as the cao sent out a text telling people to look it up so hopefully that means there's very little applicants.

When did the cao send out a text about the c's course in nuig ? I didn't see that and it seems totally unlikely as the cao are a third party who have to be unbiased about each college etc. It doesn't interest them as to the numbers for each course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

... the cao are a third party who have to be unbiased about each college etc.
    ^^ This.

I could imagine them sending an alert (though surely by email?) if there was some problem at their end, e.g. wrong code on list or something, but otherwise ... ?

• Advertisement

When did the cao send out a text about the c's course in nuig ? I didn't see that and it seems totally unlikely as the cao are a third party who have to be unbiased about each college etc. It doesn't interest them as to the numbers for each course.
    Well I know me an my friends all got a text maybe a month ago saying cao change of mind now ope.and then at the end it said something along the lines of "check out cs-it in nuig"......I thought it was personalised to me because I have it down but my friends got the same one.Maybe it was just a galway thing since we're from galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭barry181091

gant0 wrote: »
    Well I know me an my friends all got a text maybe a month ago saying cao change of mind now ope.and then at the end it said something along the lines of "check out cs-it in nuig"......I thought it was personalised to me because I have it down but my friends got the same one.Maybe it was just a galway thing since we're from galway.

Ah but whonsaidnthat was from the CAO ;) it was probably from NUIG after you gave them your number in an open day or somethig like that.

Ah but whonsaidnthat was from the CAO ;) it was probably from NUIG after you gave them your number in an open day or somethig like that.
    Maybe but im pretty sure it was from the cao.I remember putting down my number on the site but i never gave anyone in nuig my number

Not trying to be argumentative. gant0, but I'd be pretty sure that wherever it originated, it wasn't the CAO.

1. It's of absolutely no benefit to them to promote any one course / college ... they're simply a clearing-house.

2. If they started doing that, all the other colleges would be down their throats immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Not trying to be argumentative. gant0, but I'd be pretty sure that wherever it originated, it wasn't the CAO.

1. It's of absolutely no benefit to them to promote any one course / college ... they're simply a clearing-house.

2. If they started doing that, all the other colleges would be down their throats immediately.

This made me laugh, I'm sure you know why. Sorry:p

Does anyone know how many hours a week CS has in UCC?

I have no idea!!

*flutters eyelashes innocently*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Fad wrote: »
    Curious as to whether CS in UCD will go up by much, seeing as CS through arts has been closed off.

I know someone going for it and he said he needs about 450.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Does anyone know how many hours a week CS has in UCC?

I remember reading it once, but I can't rightly remember. It's alot though. I think around 30+? Someone should correct me on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭DualBladez

Kersmash wrote: »
    I remember reading it once, but I can't rightly remember. It's alot though. I think around 30+? Someone should correct me on that.
    yeah around 30+

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I'm doing CS in UCC now and trust me, you will NOT have 30+ hours per week :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

I got someone's timetable before and it is 23 hours

unknown13 wrote: »
    I know someone going for it and he said he needs about 450.

I dunno, that seems like a huge leap, but it's always best to try and aim for above what you need I suppose!

I dunno, that seems like a huge leap, but it's always best to try and aim for above what you need I suppose!

I think 450 is a bit high but I got a talk off one of the heads of science in UCD and I think they also closed off Computer Science through General Science aswell.

I think 450 is a bit high but I got a talk off one of the heads of science in UCD and I think they also closed off Computer Science through General Science aswell.

Jaysus.......I would imagine that will have a knock on effect and they will add places for standard CS.

Hopefully they'll raise the standard of 1st years.....

Jaysus.......I would imagine that will have a knock on effect and they will add places for standard CS.

Hopefully they'll raise the standard of 1st years.....

I think that was their plan to make the standard higher by closing off the entry through arts and general science. I think may have added a few other things to the course but this is coming from hear say. I am not 100% sure.

I think that was their plan to make the standard higher by closing off the entry through arts and general science. I think may have added a few other things to the course but this is coming from hear say. I am not 100% sure.

I'll find out next year I suppose, CS through Arts people rarely had any idea how to code, so getting rid of them is probably for the best.

Not so sure about the reasoning behind getting rid of the general science route, but any way.....

Difference between 1st year CS in UCD and TCD is astonishing, from looking at exam papers, TCD seem to be miles ahead, so hopefully that'll close gaps.

Advertisement