Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop woes..

Options
  • 29-06-2010 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

I took apart a Dell Inspiron 5150 last night to clear out the excessive amount of dust that had built up inside it.

Upon reassembling it I found that now when I hit the power switch the fan's all come on then after several seconds the system shuts down. The monitor never turns on.. No clue what could've caused this, I've taken several Dell laptops apart in the past with no negative results. :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Can you reset the Bios like on a desktop PC, there should be a jumper or removing the small watch battery inside can do it. I don't know though I've never had the balls to take apart a laptop, I assume you used anti static protection?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Joeface

you have shorted something on the inside .... backing plate on keyboard or something like that has gnd'd or one of the ribbon connectors is not seated right. just pop of the bezel's again and power one with them off . you will know straight away then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Glazun wrote: »
    I took apart a Dell Inspiron 5150 last night to clear out the excessive amount of dust that had built up inside it.

Upon reassembling it I found that now when I hit the power switch the fan's all come on then after several seconds the system shuts down. The monitor never turns on.. No clue what could've caused this, I've taken several Dell laptops apart in the past with no negative results. :/

What way did you get rid of the dust, blow it, lift it off or can or air? Blowing it could cause moisture which could short it, picking it off and could have damaged something. If you where careful removing something i'd say what scumlord say and you just shorted something or forgot to connect something.

Advertisement