Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

E270 cdi or E220 cdi

• 29-06-2010 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

I'm looking at both of these in the for sale sites on line. 2003 - 2005 with less that 100K miles. Need it to last 3-4 years doing ~40K - ~45K per year, most of it on the Dublin to Cork Rd.

Which one would be the better buy? I'm not worried about the tax on the bigger car. I figure MPG will be pretty close once on the motorway sitting in top gear.

At the mileage I'm going to be doing, I'm pretty sure the car won't be worth much when I'm done with it. So, if repairs aren't a lot I'll basically run it into the ground after the above time frame, maybe get an extra year out of it. Which one would you pick? 220 or 270 E class.

Thanks for your advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

In my opinion, the 220 diesel is not fit for that car. Its a 4 cylinder too which means its a bit of a tractor conpared to a 6 cylinder one. I assume the 270 is 6 cylinder. I dont know anything about how modern the 270 is versus the 280 & 320 that were available in that E class but Im sure someone will be along soon with all the details. I would go for as big as possible. Shame to spoil a good car with a weak engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

270 definitley. Dont mind the extra road tax. I thought hard about the new model but its so like the hyundai sonata its not funny. I just made any sonata drivers day now :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I don't know that i'd pick any Mercedes of that age if I needed to get to 250,000 miles without major expenditure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭Bigus

Anan1 wrote: »
    I don't know that i'd pick any Mercedes of that age if I needed to get to 250,000 miles without major expenditure.

Most of the 03 or 05 ones are well sorted at this stage 270 cdi perfect car for what the man proposes to do with it.

Advertisement