Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard drive problems

Options
  • 29-06-2010 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

I noticed that my old 300gb hard drive was in trouble by using HDtune and cystaldiskinfo so I bought a 1TB drive to replace it. I didn't have a spare plug for it so my plan was to take out the 500gb hard drive I store my media on put the new one in it's place copy out everything on the dying drive and pop the 500gb one back in.

When I take out the 500gb drive though the computer won't boot.

I have windows installed on an Intel x25 and windows is installed on that drive but in Disk management (windows 7 64) it says
    Disk0 (C)
    Healthy (Boot, crash, dump, primary partition)
    Disk1 (M)
    Healthy (system, Active, Primary partition)

What have I done wrong here? Why isn't the PC just booting off the SSD why does it need the other drive and how can I fix it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I dont have one myself bu have seen that there are steps people take when using an SSD with windows 7 which includes moving certain folders etc to a different drive. Could that be it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

ScumLord wrote: »
    When I take out the 500gb drive though the computer won't boot.

What have I done wrong here? Why isn't the PC just booting off the SSD why does it need the other drive and how can I fix it?

Reinstall windows with only the SSD hooked up to the sata controller.
    Sounds like the MBR is on the 500 gig???
    (I am open to correction on this one):pac:

If you are popping in a new boot harddrive, it is always less hassle to disconnect all other harddrives and just install windows on the drive you want as boot as it avoids the kind of shenannigans you are having.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

uberpixie wrote: »
    Reinstall windows with only the SSD hooked up to the sata controller.
    Sounds like the MBR is on the 500 gig???
    (I am open to correction on this one):pac:

If you are popping in a new boot harddrive, it is always less hassle to disconnect all other harddrives and just install windows on the drive you want as boot as it avoids the kind of shenannigans you are having.
    Reinstalling is a bit drastic isn't it? Is there any way to move the file that Lu Tze is talking about? This isn't a new build I've been using it for months, don't want to go back to the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Reinstalling is a bit drastic isn't it? Is there any way to move the file that Lu Tze is talking about? This isn't a new build I've been using it for months, don't want to go back to the start.

ahh... (thougth this was a new build of windows on an SSD you just bought.
    )

http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/fix-mbr-xp-vista/

try the section marked for vista. E.g Unhook the 500 gig, boot the windows 7 disk, go to the recovery console and the use the commands to try rebuild/create a new MBR.

EDIT: better idea, get the exact details from MS...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Tell us how you get on ;)

I think I might just leave it for now. The only reason I need to take out the 500gb drive is because there isn't enough of the SATA power plugs, there's plenty of the standard 4 pin plugs. I'd say I can get a converter in Maplins later in the week.

I'd have to move that file twice to get the 1TB drive in and I was hoping to use the old drive as a scratch disk for photoshop.

Would an old drive that may be on it's last legs make a good scratch disk and place to store temporary files I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I think I might just leave it for now. The only reason I need to take out the 500gb drive is because there isn't enough of the SATA power plugs, there's plenty of the standard 4 pin plugs. I'd say I can get a converter in Maplins later in the week.

I'd have to move that file twice to get the 1TB drive in and I was hoping to use the old drive as a scratch disk for photoshop.

Would an old drive that may be on it's last legs make a good scratch disk and place to store temporary files I wonder?

if your in dublin i should have a molex to sata connector - ****e, just checked forgot the PSU replacement i got is modular. Dont think one of those cables would be any good to you. Your welcome to borrow it though, or failing that i have a 300W PSU you could use just to power the HD

Lu Tze wrote: »
    if your in dublin i should have a molex to sata connector - ****e, just checked forgot the PSU replacement i got is modular. Dont think one of those cables would be any good to you. Your welcome to borrow it though, or failing that i have a 300W PSU you could use just to power the HD
    Cheers man, down in Galway though. I will have to drive into Galway city for work tomorrow though so I'll pick it up then.

Advertisement